Scrap project #3 – Scrappy Bits

I’m working my way through my bag of scraps, though this may be the last one for a while – I’m getting a little tired of these same fabrics! I guess I need to start some other projects in order to create some new scraps…

This quilt is very simple – I had in mind a white quilt with little bits of color. To create it, I pieced together scraps of similar sizes, creating strips of varying lengths. I incorporated these strips randomly in with my white fabric.

I’m liking this simple look, and I think that I may make this quilt again, perhaps next time selecting particular fabrics. It would be a good way to highlight your favorites, without using up too much of your stash!

Speaking of, that’s what I’ll be working on tonight… cleaning up my craft room, and the enormous mess which is my fabric stash. (I’m embarrassed to be showing you this, though maybe seeing it online will force me to get it cleaned up!)

It might be time to throw this away, don’t you think?! (well, unless someone can come up with a good project for super small scraps!)

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Scrap project #3 – Scrappy Bits

Rachel says:

Check this out for using those teeny tiny strips!!

Rachel

Sandi says:

Your scrap quilt is beautiful! I love the clean, modern feel of it. All of that white with the bits of cheerful color make me want to completely redecorate the house and make some gorgeous minimalist quilts.

Michaela says:

I love it. How simple and beautiful.

Carrie says:

Doesn’t it feel great to use up scraps? I’m saving up my small string scraps to make something like this one day: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11712869@N00/2752957949/. I also cut batting scraps into bits to stuff toy animals and pin cushions. You’re right, the best part of using up scraps is getting to start with new fabric all over again.

abcgirl says:

love the quilt design! tiny scraps can always be used to make those denyse schmidt cards… http://www.flickr.com/photos/22833158@N05/3019572074/

Don’t throw out those strings and bits! http://www.quiltville.com has some great ideas for what to do with them. I only wish I had enough skinny scraps to make some of her patterns (must keep sewing!). On the home page, quilt designs are on the right… all are worth a look for inspiration, and some are made from very teeny scraps and “strings”. Her tips and techniques are great, too.

Morgan says:

That is a lot of “craft-nel”!

amandajean says:

I am tying (knotting) all my skinny strips end to end and knitting a rug out of them size 17 needles. it’s turning out really well. there is a great satisfaction in using up every last bit!

terriaw says:

Wow, this scrappy project looks pretty cool! I like that idea above to make a rug with those left overs.

jacquie says:

i love simple. it would be a great way to showcase precious fabrics.

nettie says:

i love this scrap quilt and all the white!

I also love seeing your craft room…mine looks like this all the time. i figure the only way to keep a craft room organized is to not use it.

betsy says:

some people are making selvedge quilts and I cut out 1.5 inch squares for my postage stamp quilt. Also, you can use the little pieces for the windows of a cathedral windows depending on the size you make the window.

Kait says:

I’m reading through your back log of posts since I just found your blog, hence a response almost a year later :)

With regards to the tiny scraps, I’m thinking of the pile I have of seriously thin and tiny strips from squaring quilts up (and the clipped threads), too small to sew or knit with. I had a nagging feeling that there was something I could do with them. Then I was blogging the other day and randomly thought of making a small pillow with either a whole side being clear vinyl or putting a window in it and using the scraps to stuff the pillow. Now I just need to build that scrap pile!