My oh my! I had hoped to be back here before now, but as it turns out, moving is a lot more work than I imagined! (Previous moves were without kids and with significantly less stuff.) I incorrectly thought that the challenging part would be the part heading up to the move. Not so. Getting all the stuff out of the boxes has been far more work! Despite what I thought of as stellar labeling skills, I’ve managed to misplace many of our things – the bolts to the bed frame, a dining room chair, all of Hazel’s winter gear, which I just found today in a box labeled ‘Hazel – outgrown clothing, etc’. Note to self – ‘etc’ should probably not be used when labeling moving boxes.
But anyway, we’re mostly back to normal, and even though my sewing table had to live in the garage for a couple weeks, it’s now set up again and I’ve been doing a bit of sewing to make up for lost time.
I opted to work on this quilt, since it was the last packed and I was smart enough to pack all the fabrics along with the sections I had already sewn. (I labeled that box ‘sewing – last packed’, which is also not very descriptive…) Max has also been bugging me periodically about ‘his quilt’, and I’m certainly powerless to resist a three year old’s request for a new quilt!
I didn’t have much of a design wall set up, so I just decided to let it go and sew pieces together completely randomly. It came together quite quickly, as I used lots of solid white to create more of a minimalistic herringbone design. The prints are mostly Denyse Schmidt’s Hadley line, along with some Cotton + Steel basics.
The colors in this one lent themselves so well for a quintessential Vermont fall foliage photo, but the weather didn’t cooperate, or when it did, I found myself without any adults around to hold the quilt up. I’m hoping Max can brush up on his photography skills so he can start taking the photos for me!
(I realize you can’t really see the quilt here, but look… pretty trees!)