Well, I just spent a good 30 minutes searching old blog posts to link back to this stack of fabric only to realize that I had never actually blogged about it – I finally remembered that I had shown it on Instagram instead. My brain these days… not good!
Anyway, I pulled together that stack back in October, and then added to it in January and I’ve been waiting ever since to have a chance to start a quilt with them. I finally got most of my sewing obligations completed, so I thought it was a great time to sneak in a little work on this one. I’ve been wanting to make a Feather Bed quilt ever since Anna Maria Horner posted her pattern, and since then I’ve seen many beautiful versions – the latest being this beauty by Karyn.
This color combo is not one I’m typically drawn to, but now that I’ve been staring at it for a few months I really love it. You’d think that the color combo came about based on that floral Liberty of London print, but surprisingly enough, no. That print just happened to be a perfect match for the navy, aqua, red and sour lemon thing I had going on. There’s a fun mix of fabrics – a little Nani Iro, lots of Alison Glass, some Denyse (of course!), a few Liberty of London prints, a Violet Craft print, a navy from Bonnie & Camille’s upcoming Miss Kate line, a couple Mochi polka dots and a Lizzy House stripe (to name a few, er, all!). It’s awfully fun to mix and match designers, and while I know many don’t love mixing fabric bases, I actually love the mix of textures (double gauze, tana lawn, a linen blend and quilting cotton, yes please!)
I spent the afternoon yesterday sewing strips and cutting out feathers, and oh my, what fun! That part was surprisingly quick, and I’m loving how it’s looking up on the wall. I still need to figure out how big to go, and then hopefully soon I’ll be on to the next step!
13 Responses to in progress…feathers!