a reject project turned quilt.

Ha! I’m sure I’m not the only one to have an idea, start making it, and discover you dislike it. That’s pretty much what happened here.

I started this one a while back, and in fact I can’t even remember what my original plan was with these blocks (this was not it). It wasn’t good, so it was turned into this, which is also not good, but for some reason I couldn’t let it go and actually pieced a backing (which I do like!), and even basted it.

It sat in a pile for a long time because I didn’t really want to put in the time to quilt something I didn’t care for, but then I discovered that I had used a lot of my larger quilting safety pins to baste it and I kind of wanted them back. So you see, I had to finish it!

In the meantime, I received Jacquie Gering’s amazing book, Walk, from Lucky Spool (thank you!), and I couldn’t stop looking at all the great quilting designs she shows. I’ve been tired of just straight lines, but for some reason hadn’t even considered that I could change it up and create such fun designs with my walking foot.

This quilt seemed like the perfect quilt to practice on. I chose Jacquie’s Orange Peel design, mainly because this quilt was made up of the same sized squares and therefore required minimal marking. I’m so happy to say that it was so fun, and dare I say easy? to quilt that I can’t wait to try out another design on a quilt I like a bit better! (In fact, since quilting this one, I’ve used two other designs from this book to quilt two other quilts which I’ll show you soon!).

As far as this one goes, I’m not really sure what its fate will be. Perhaps a donation, or perhaps one of the kids will snag it for fort building. I’m just happy it’s finished and that I have my quilting pins back!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to a reject project turned quilt.

Carissa says:

I love this quilt! Would you sell it for a relief donation to Puerto Rico?

Jenny M says:

Your quilting looks great! I have Jacquie’s book, I must make time to read it & do lots of practise.

Okay, you’re officially nuts! Don’t you DARE let the kids use it for fort building! That quilt is very sweet and all the colors work. I REALLY like it. So there.

Christine says:

I love what drives us sometimes…orphan blocks that won’t go away, scraps/lack of original fabric, those safety pins! Made me smile

Denny says:

What Julia said. This quilt is lovely. Whatever you didn’t like about the original plan, you fixed the design issues with your modifications. The contrast of dark gray and the popped other colors is striking. The variation in the squares is interesting. I love it!

Andea says:

I really like it! Just wanted to say that. It’s quite lovely! I have started quilts and decided they were ugly at various points myself, so I think I understand, but I’m sure you could sell this beauty.

Rosemary B says:

This turned out beautiful. Such pretty blocks and so glad that you found a lovely way to get them together!!

Pam Tocornal says:

I really like this “reject”. I find I am liking more and more the us of grayson place of whites for backgrounds. The backing is always my kind of backing.

janequiltsslowly says:

I like the quilt! I love the pieced back and the quilting!

Claudia says:

Thw quilt is really pretty! I love the quilting you did and that was a perfect quilt for practicing…someone will love it!

cynthia says:

I’m trying to figure out what you don’t like about it! It’s FUN 🙂

Dottie Rust says:

Love this quilt! I esp love your color scheme here (and in other quilts). . .you’re so bold & crazy & then you throw in all that gray! It just works, I admire your “out-of-the-box” thinking! Thanks for how you inspire this “quality-quilter”!

Dottie Rust says:

I meant “quasi-quilter” lol!

Liz says:

Thank you for your post! I have projects that I haven’t been happy with but really want to finish them anyway. As my daughter would say — there is someone who would really love to have them! I know someone would really love to have your quilt. Your work is always so creative and colorful.

Laura Chase says:

Well that explains why the first picture looks like an orphan stranded alone in the woods. I think it’s a great quilt and love the quilting. Someone will be happy to own that quilt!

Kaholly says:

You’re funny! It’s actually quite pretty!