new pillows!

pillows

Recovering our pillows has been on my list for far too long. Somehow it always gets pushed down the list in favor of a new quilt (or new Linden sweatshirt, if I’m being honest!). The other day a neighbor and friend asked for a little lesson on making zippered pillow covers and I thought I had best brush up on my skills before attempting to teach someone else.

pillows5

Thanks to this, pillow covers got moved to the top of my list and before I knew it, I had 7 pretty new pillows!

pilllows3

At first I was just going to make one practice pillow, so I pulled out some Rifle Paper fabric. Then once I decided to keep going, I gathered some other favorite prints – some more of the Rifle Paper florals, a Skinny LaMinx panel I purchased ages ago at Nido,

pillows2

some of my favorite Umbrella Prints hearts, and a great handprinted panel from Spin Spin.

pillows4

I made my own piping for each and inserted an invisible zipper along one side. I read a few pillow tutorials to make sure I was going about it correctly, and ended up mostly following this tutorial by Jona Giammalva.

pillows7

I love her tip on using a zipper 4″ longer than your pillow (no trying to sew around that pesky zipper pull!), and was surprisingly pleased at how well glue basting worked here. I used it to hold the zipper tape in place and then used it while sewing the two sides of the pillows together. I think it really helped make this a nearly frustration-free project!

pillows6
(seriously, mom?)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to new pillows!

Marion says:

I don’t know what I adore more – your beautiful pillows or the latest addition to your family 🙂 Both very beautiful.

Alice R. says:

Thanks! They are very nice. If you want to make long rectangular pillows, but cannot find zippers long enough, you can find zippers on a roll online that you cut to any length. I just found that out. Might also be helpful to keep on hand since you can make several zippers from one kit.

Cynthia says:

I too am in the process of finally making new pillows. Mine were at least 20 years old 🙁 Any tips on the piping ? I always have trouble with the best way to join the two ends as well as covering the piping stitching. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Love all your combinations ! Congrats on moving pillows to the top of your list !

Kaholly says:

Pillows are fun, quick, and easy, and yours are all very pretty! That you have such a cute model doesn’t take away from the pillows at all! Never tried putting in an invisible zipper! There’s always something new to try!

Adela Wiley says:

I will have to try this for sure, will make it much easier to make pillows…

Rosemary Bolton says:

Henry is such a handsome – uh, adorably handsome little fella
    I love the pillows. I need to make pillow covers too.
    I love the fabrics you used!

Lauren says:

Your pillows are gorgeous but not as gorgeous as Henry.