vintage chambray top

vintagechambray5

I love yard sales, and despite not actually needing anything, I can’t resist stopping to browse. This summer I stopped at one sale and in the midst of a bunch of junk, I found a trunk filled with cheap fabric and then a handful of these vintage patchwork blocks at the very bottom. For $2 for the bunch, I certainly couldn’t not bring them home.

vintagechambray4

These patchwork blocks are hand sewn and made up of stripes, checks, ginghams and other tiny prints (plus that one red solid!). There’s some discoloration and staining, but I kinda like it that way.

vintagechambray

There were a total of 10 blocks, though two were falling apart and slightly different in feel. I used the remaining 8 and paired them with a few chambrays and stripes I had on hand to make this large checkerboard section. I wasn’t sure how to enlarge it, so set it aside for a while. The other day I decided to embrace the ‘make use of what you have’ feeling that I get from these blocks (many of those tiny squares are pieced together), and pulled out the rest of my chambrays to see how I could piece them together to get this quilt up to size.

vintagechambray2

I’m pretty happy with how it turned out and am so pleased that these patchwork blocks finally found their way into a quilt!

vintagechambray3

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to vintage chambray top

Andrea Porter says:

Great find to make this perfect quilt that invites one to use it:-)

Sophie says:

It looks great ! I love how you off centered the block section. That will be a very cosy quilt.

Paige says:

What a great find and rescue! The two black squares in the first pic look similar to the new wovens out by Free Spirit (Loominous). I love your ‘make do’ feel to it just like the the blocks. I see several pieced squares. And you got a smile out of Hazel!

Tanis says:

This is so lovely, all of it! The quilt is a beauty in it’s own right, but the rescued blocks are the real star. The original maker of those blocks will probably never know what you’ve done, but imagine how pleased she would be!

Teje says:

You made those forgotten blocks become beautiful, modern quilt! I love this style, colour and the story! x Teje

Janelle Dunn says:

I love yard-sale quilt finds!

Mary Ann Hruska says:

I love it! To me this a “real” quilt in the make-do style of my grandmother. Thanks for sharing the quilt and the story.

Jodi says:

Excellent rescue, and you did them great justice!

T. johnson says:

This is a great story and find. Appreciate how your love put life back into those quilt blocks.
    Chambray is one of my favs. Thanks for sharing your inspiration through this quilt. Also really like how you placed the blocks off center.
    Have a great day.

Fantastic solution! The pieced together background couldn’t be more perfect.

Summer says:

This is so creative and gorgeous ♥

Pam says:

Your daughter peeping out from behind that quilt is prescious😍

janequiltsslowly says:

Delightful! When I run across a group of blocks in a thrift store or yard sale, I always think: how can that be a quilt, there are so few. You have given me an inspiration for the next time that happens! (Love your little girl’s smile.)

15. Pingback: FITF: chambray + vintage patchwork | Film in the Fridge