a single irish chain quilt top

irishchainquilt

I’ve never made an irish chain quilt, though I’ve admired them. I seem to be drawn to quilts made of two colors, but as of yet I’ve not been able to actually limit myself to just two colors. Obviously I couldn’t do it here either, though I did sorta limit myself to navy and gold (and gray…oops!)

irishchainquilt5

This quilt was inspired by this Anthropologie shower curtain I stumbled upon on Pinterest. I liked the idea of using a print for every other block (the solid squares). I tried to pick one fun print, but then decided to instead go with yellowy green/gold as the one color, but use a variety of prints. I thought the variety of prints in one color was pretty fun so I decided to do the same with the navy and gray/white 9 patch blocks.

irishchainquilt2

These colors were selected because I wanted to use a few of the new Cotton + Steel prints – I pulled out a couple favorites, a couple navy prints and a few golds, then realized that there were many other Cotton + Steel prints from past collections in the same colors. I included a few other navys and yellows that I found in my stash, and I’m pretty happy with how all the prints work together.

irishchainquilt4

I think I need to find some clashing color for the backing – something bright and unexpected. No ideas in mind yet, but hopefully something perfect will pop up!

irishchainquilt6

(Hazel’s a fan!)

Previous post about this quilt can be found here.

New Cotton + Steel is starting to pop up in a few shops! Be sure to check my sponsors in the right side bar for these great new collections!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to a single irish chain quilt top

i love this. playing off of the anthropologie shower curtain, your quilt would look awesome with a large bold black and white stripe at either end….then a really colorful fabric for the back with pops of turquoise, fuschia and cobalt….

cindy

Megan says:

Ooo love the mustard-y gold with the navy! How about bright, bright pink for the backside? Totally unexpected, but maybe it could work?

Ben says:

I read your comment about the backing (“hopefully something perfect will pop up”) then scrolled down to see Hazel’s dress. Looks clashing, bright, and unexpected to me. 🙂

Cyndi says:

Looks great, but then again everything looks great with Navy. Love how it turned out.

Linda says:

I love the quilt, and I can’t believe what a big girl Hazel is now…… She’s like my great granddaughter, getting bigger and prettier every day, but I want them to quit growing and be babies again…lol. 😎

xo Linda

Diana says:

Fun colors! Love it!

I’d love BRIGHT pink for the back! Maybe with a teal or turquoise binding?

Super love these colors together and great resemblance towards the shower curtain! This looks perfect for the lake, too!

Coastal gray says:

How about something like the fuscia in Hazel’s dress……(for the quilt back)

Laine says:

The quilt is beautiful. Where did you take that picture? It’s gorgeous where you are. It looks like Lake Sebago in Maine.

Lois says:

I love that greeny colour and have some in my stash – I love it with navy – beautiful work as always and thanks for sharing. I think for the back I would just do navy with a brightly pieced bit included:))

Laura says:

very nice! Subtle and Elegant and well, just very nice! I like it!

Sarah says:

As usual, another beautiful quilt, and a pretty setting for pictures. Thanks for sharing. slp.acp@gmail.com

Karen Ritson says:

My first thought for the backing was also pink.

Colleen says:

I’m laughing at myself because every time I see one of your quilts I just love love love it.
    LOL, you can do no wrong ! The colour in your sweet little Hazel’s dress looks great popped on top of the quilt. It would make a great quilt back.

Carla says:

What a gorgeous combination! I really like the mustard with the navy. I’m sure a man would love this too : )

Lesley Gilbert says:

Once again another beautiful quilt 🙂

I like this very much. I just love squares.

Sarah Helene says:

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L ! I agree with several comments so far . . . geometric designs limited to 4 colors in your QUILT top: gold, navy, white & pale grey. You stuck to 9 smaller squares in white, grey & navy for the same sized larger squares of golden print fabrics. Stylish IRISH CHAIN QUILT! Thanks for sharing — BRAVO! Sarah in Minneapolis

Kelly O. says:

gorgeous! what about Kona Coralfor the backing?

Andrea says:

You have an amazing eye for colour! I love your colour combinations and this might be my favourite! I vote for bright pink too! Even the plaid of Hazel’s dress has an interesting clashing, but matching in its own way!