through the window

throughthewindow

Spring is still a ways off around here, but that doesn’t stop me from dreaming of it daily. Right now it’s just lots of snow out my window, but hopefully in a few months there will be flowers (er, I’m not really sure actually! this will be our first spring in this new house, so I’m not sure what’s out there…)

throughthewindow3

Until then, I’ll gaze upon these pretties — this gorgeous new line is by Umbrella Prints, and is aptly named Flowers. I have loved, and collected!, the beautiful prints by Umbrella Prints for years now, and have used pieces in many quilts, and when Amy and Carly asked if they could send me some of their newest quilting cotton line, Flowers, I said yes right away. This line includes 10 beautiful organic cotton prints in a really beautiful mix of colors – light pinks, peaches and coral reds paired with a great gold, some grays (and gray greens) and a touch of black.

throughthewindow5

I added in a few prints from their previous mini collection and just a couple additional black and white prints to round it all out. When thinking about designs, I was reminded of a vintage quilt I had pinned, and drew up a couple designs inspired by this vintage quilt. Ultimately I came to this design – lots of half square triangles separated by this uneven grid.

throughthewindow6

It seems it should have been an easy one to put together, but no. I think I felt the pressure to make sure the design showed off these gorgeous prints, so it sat on the design wall for quite a while as I second guessed all my choices — were these solids right? should the triangles point the other way? what if they all pointed one direction? or opposite directions?

throughthewindow4

I mixed it all up, moved everything around, and in the end came back to my original design. Ah..

throughthewindow2

The only bummer about the quilt top is that it used up nearly all these beautiful prints! I’m quite certain I’ll have to order myself another bundle (the coral red in this print is the perfect color…oh, and the hearts!…)

throughthewindow7

Thank you, Amy and Carly, for giving me the opportunity to sew a quilt with your beautiful new prints!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to through the window

Suz says:

This is such an unusual colour palette! I love it! Using some black and white has kept it from looking washed out and added extra depth! And the design, to me, is playful and fun!

This is just exquisite. I normally hate the coral pinks, but you made them all sing. Just love the uneven grid. I don’t like the same old repetition grid, gets predictable. This is just a terrific design and composition. It made me feel refreshed.

Sarah Helene says:

F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S play of random small triangles on a square uneven grid for your truly beautiful QUILT! Your selection of prints in between the few solids is interesting. Sophisticated use of several colors including pastel pinks & peaches plus bright coral red. I agree with Suz’s comments about using some black and white to add extra depth. I also like Linda’s comments “a terrific design and composition.” Certainly you have an “eye” for colors and design! THANKS for sharing. Sarah in Minneapolis

Stephanie says:

This is completely beautiful. I love the colour palette and the prints you’ve chosen. *Love it.*

Cheryl says:

I love the design and the prints you used, the quilt is a great peek at spring.

Pamela says:

I went right to this post first today when I saw the colors. This is so lovely. I agree with all the previous comments. I especially love the juxtaposition of the fresh colors in the quilt and the barn wood/snow scene. Another beauty from you!! Where can you find these Umbrella prints? I’m a newbie 🙂

This is really beautiful. The uneven grid is an especially creative touch. But look at all that white!!! We need to trade places for a day so we can each experience the other extreme. Or you could just come and visit. Just saying… 🙂

I love that you were inspired by a vintage quilt – your design is beautiful and I think the layout is perfect! Gorgeous pics as always.

Colleen says:

Gorgeous fabric. Your designe really complements the fabric -making it look vintage and modern at the same time.

Lynessa says:

Do you know the names of the solids you used? I have been looking for just the right values of peach lately and these look so lovely.

These colors are so beautiful. I’m excited for you to see what’s under the snow at your new house when spring comes!

Alli says:

That’s so pretty! I love how you put the top together! 🙂

Betty says:

The uneven grid layout is just a wonderful surprise. I have been really loving corals and peaches lately and these fabrics just hit the spot. Wonderful all the way around.

Lisa says:

I really like that gentle pink. Feels fresh and hopeful!

sheila says:

I name all of my quilts. If this were mine I would call it Melting….It has such a Spring feel.
    Cool and fresh like the early days of Spring. Lovely job.

karen says:

gorgeous work!! really stunning.

Sara Hill says:

Well the time you put into it seems like it created the fabulous effect of effortlessness–it’s so lovely.

Elaine says:

I love peach. The colors you’ve used and the layout make it so fresh and interesting.

Jen says:

Love the play across the face of the quilt, and the graphic play with the slightly larger prints used in triangles. Lovely.