a quiet rainbow quilt

lowvolumerainbow2

The start of 2015 had me motivated to quilt up some of those old tops that have been hanging in my closet (now that we’ve moved, they’re actually in my closet rather than a spare closet, so I see them and feel guilty on a daily basis!). I pulled this one out first since I had already prepared a backing.

lowvolumerainbow5

I looked back and discovered that I originally blogged about this top back in August of 2012, so really it was time to finish it up!

lowvolumerainbow3

Interestingly enough, I usually spray baste my quilts (and even wrote a tutorial about it here), though lately I feel it’s maybe not as sticky as it used to be. I’ve found that my quilt looks all nice and flat when I spray it, but as soon as I pick it up and move it to the machine, I’m finding the fabric is bunching up and not as smooth and taut as I’d like. So I’ve been doing a combo of 505 and pins, which seems like a waste of time, but I suppose I’ve always been afraid of just basting a quilt with pins. I went for it this time, and was pleasantly surprised to find that not only was it easier than I imagined, but I was so happy with how the quilting turned out and how flat and smooth it is (without having to stop and rebaste!)

lowvolumerainbow6

I picked these fabrics as my version of a low volume rainbow. It’s interesting to look at now — at the time these were the lowest volume fabrics I could find in my stash. I’m not sure if I just didn’t have more in my stash, or if it was just that it was before there were so many low volume prints available. I do love the less bold versions of these colors and how they look with all the white and off white solids. I also got to add in lots of favorite linen-y prints by Ink & Spindle and Skinny LaMinx, making it extra special.

lowvolumerainbow4

It’s quilted with horizontal straight lines about an inch apart and has this gray Flea Market Fancy print as a backing along with a brown polka dot for binding.

lowvolumerainbow

Big thanks to my friend, Melinda, who braved the zero degree temps and snow banks to hold this one up for me while our kids waited (somewhat) patiently in warm cars. All along I’ve been waiting for a good snowstorm for some quilt photos, but wasn’t planning on these negative temps! You probably wouldn’t notice, but the quilt is sideways here – when it’s this cold out there’s no time to adjust such things!

This entry was posted in [search] HST Quilts, Fabric, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to a quiet rainbow quilt

Dominique says:

Nice! The mix of whites/low volume and medium prints give this quilt a very soft feel, and I like the mix of colours. Slightly unusual, but it works very well together. Well done, and great pictures too!

I just love this quilt! It has such a comforting feeling. I just want to keep looking at it. Great quilt for such cold days! I can’t figure out if it has a pattern or random HSTs.

Lisa says:

I think it’s beautiful! I love the softer colors.

It is quiet! And calming! Beautiful!

Sarah says:

Interesting. I just finished another quilt with 505 and I too noticed it was coming apart all over the place near the end. I got puckers near the edge even, Oy. Hopefully it’s just a bum can!

Cindy says:

I just love this- such soft calming colors! I never thought about the spray not holding up so will keep that in mind if I ever do one this size. I usually pin but only because I do the smaller quilts:)

Terri Ann says:

Ha what a good friend. The snow is beautiful and I need to finish a quilt so I can do some in the snow photos but those cold temps with that bitter breeze are killer. That grey flea market fancy backing is to die for! It’s interesting that your basting has switched so much, I’ve thought about doing a combo spray and pin before but hadn’t tried it yet, I tend to reserve spray for small projects and pin the bigger ones.

Anina says:

It’s so pretty! My goal is to either finish up or donate some of the quilt tops staring me in the face every day.

svetlana says:

This is such a pretty quilt. Love all the fabrics you used, they make a perfect quiet rainbow for sure.

I have spray baste but I’ve always been too afraid to use it, so I’ve always used pins! Quilt looks beautiful and I love the quilting.

kathy in MT says:

I’m working on a low volume 1/2 quilt, too. I LOVE this one of yours!!! And that Flee Market backing – perfect! The quilting is also perfection! Thanks for sharing such a beauty!

Rosemary Bolton says:

I love this, Ashley.
    Is this just HSTs placed randomly? I just love the calm flow and arrangement
    Well done.
    This winter has been annoying. Nov and Dec were just fair
    Jan and Fab are mean and brutal.
    I am sure you are sick of the snow by now, and all of the sand they dump on the roads that end up in your house.
    Thanks for braving the cold to share

Sue Hall says:

Such lovely soft colours and I like the way you have quilted it. I use spray glue and safety pins, I think of it as a belt and braces technique, no chance of anything slipping at all.
    Brilliant photos,
    Sue

Carla says:

Isn’t it just gorgeous tho? Another beauty. Thanks for braving the cold

Christine Godlonton says:

Interesting you commented on the problems you have been having with the spray adhesive. I just ripped out 1/4 of quilting on a quilt for the same reason. I too will be repining and spraying and will hope for the best!

Katie says:

great photos as always. I’ve been clearing out too and it feels so good!

Sarah says:

As always, it’s beautiful. I pin baste my quilts and have been satisfied. I thought I would try spray, but now I’m not so sure. Thanks for sharing. Love your blog and your quilts.

Lisa C in Dallas says:

Lovely! I, too, spray baste and have been feeling the same thing. At a sew-in the other night a lady was spray basting quilts and she used almost a can a quilt. I realized I wasn’t usually even half that much so I upped my spray quantity. It helped tremendously. Again, lovely finish.

Vikki says:

Hi,
    Can you please tell me what size you made your HST for the quilt rainbow quilt? Lovely quilt!!
    Thanks