one last finish for 2014

leftovers

It’s not often that I post a quilt top and then post the finished quilt in the next post, but I was motivated to get this one done. It’s been pretty cold here, and all I could think about was draping myself with a corduroy quilt.

leftoversback

I quickly made up a simple backing out of Essex yarn dyed in black along with a bit of extra corduroy and a few other scrap pieces.

leftovers3

(not your typical quilting fabrics – corduroy, double gauze, linen and cotton scraps from old (and new!) dish towels, fabric from old clothing, and even the backside of the corduroy)

I opted for a really light weight batting, because even though I wanted this one to be extra warm, I still wanted to be able to reach for it even when it wasn’t freezing out, and I wasn’t looking for something too bulky. As you can see, I decided on simple horizontal lines for quilting – nothing fancy, because again, I just wanted to be laying under it! I used a gray Aurifil in 40 weight, which worked out well. Even though I don’t usually love the look of light thread on a dark fabric, the stitches do kind of sink into the corduroy and the gray is a little less bright than white would have been.

leftovers4

You can see the great texture the corduroy provides here. And that black and white binding? Love it.

leftovers2

I’m happy to have this one as a last finish of 2014!

Happy New Year!

This entry was posted in [search] String Quilts, [search] Strip Quilts, Fabric, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to one last finish for 2014

Sarah Helene says:

FAB “mix” of prints & plain fabrics for your hand-sewn QUILT . . . in rows of different sizes of rectangles. With the horizontal stitching, it’s a lovely. GLAD you completed it on the final day of 2014! THANKS for sharing the photos. Cold here, -4 degrees last night with 5 inches of snow on the bare ground (from early AM on Monday, Dec. 26th) Sarah in Minneapolis, MN

barbara woods says:

love it, i bet it’s real warm. My first mother in law gave me a quilt that was old wool pants and sheeting without battening and my oldest son took it off and lost it

Penny G says:

This is an impressive quilt and by that I mean literally it makes an impression on me to the level that every time I see it I fall in love again. It shows the difference between those of us that make quilts and people like you who bring quilts to life. Please continue to make your beautiful creations.

I LOVE it!! I love everything about it – the textures, colours, binding and quilting.

Linda says:

Ashley..what do you use for batting that you consider ‘lightweight’?

gigi Voegeli says:

Very cool–just like you! Happy new year!

Jen says:

Happy New Year to you as well! Your quilts are invariably lovely and always creatively inspiring. Thanks for sharing your quilting journey with us.

Carla says:

It’s fabulous!!! I bet your hubby likes this one. The binding is just the icing on the gorgeous cake : )

Cindy says:

Gorgeous!! Love the pics!

Karen says:

Love this and all your quilts. Thank you for so much inspiration! Happy new year to you and yours!

Coastal gray says:

Love how you used so many different sources of fabric….. Also, love your background, goes so well with the quilt….

Jo says:

The quilt is beautiful, and the location perfect for taking the photos! Great match!
    I’ve been fighting with a king-size quilt over the whole holidays, not getting the sandwich “quiltable”, a lot of sewing and undoing.. Seeing your finished quilt makes me want to get back to mine and finally master whatever is wrong between us badly! 😉

Linda says:

You really hit the nail on the head with that one! It looks so comfy cozy. It’s 35 degrees here in Imperial Beach, CA, a suburb of “Sunny San Diego.” I know that’s nothing compared to Vermont, but it’s COLD for us….lol!

Rebecca says:

Wow do I love that corduroy. The texture is amazing. The colors, the pattern, the everything! One of my favorite quilts I’ve made is entirely from old jeans. Thanks so much for sharing your recycled materials quilt…I’d love to see more of them.

Patricia says:

Very cool! I like this quilt and your style.

Thanks for sharing!

The piecing on this one is so light and playful. I love it! And, I think the contrast quilting worked really well. Subtle, but adds more line/dimension. I have a corduroy backed quilt (Chicopee) that is on my couch right now. It’s SO cuddly. Love!

Lana says:

I have to say you have a great color eye! Beautiful finish!