a rainbow of potholders

rainbowpotholders3

I haven’t sewn too many (or any!) gifts yet this holiday season, but when faced with the prospect of needing a few teacher gifts, I immediately thought of handmade potholders. Everyone needs a potholder or two, right?

rainbowpotholders5

Not only that, but it was also a project that allowed for a bit of help from Max, and I liked the idea that he was contributing a bit towards the gifts for his teachers.

rainbowpotholders2

We sorted scraps into piles by color – then he selected the color we’d work on and handed me the strips I sewed together in a simple log cabin design.

rainbowpotholders4

The backing and binding fabric follow the rainbow theme and I must say, they’re so pretty all together (and fun to photograph, too!)

rainbowpotholders6

So if you’re in need of a quick gift, I highly recommend potholders! I aimed to make my log cabin potholder top about 10″ (about two log cabin rounds), and cut the backing and insides the same. For the insides I use one layer of Insulbrite and a layer of quilt batting. I layer the top, quilt batting, insulbrite, and backing and quilt them, then cut down to 9 1/2″ square. Attach binding, and presto, potholder!

rainbowpotholders

This entry was posted in Fabric, Household Goods, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to a rainbow of potholders

Linda says:

Those are really lovely, and I’m sure Max felt VERY grown-up helping you make them. I’m a little in shock at the thought of him having teachers!! He’s still that little baby, isn’t he?!?! Next thing you know, you’re going to be showing us Hazel’s prom pictures!!!! Yikes….8-)

xo Linda

Anina says:

I love them! I’m waiting for an order of Insul-Bright to arrive over here and I’ll be making potholders too.

Oh, so nice to see a rainbow! You must have enjoyed picking a binding solid for each one too. =)

Sharon R. says:

They are beautiful! I’m sure Max’s teachers will be thrilled to get something that’s lovely and actually useful!

I see you added a loop for hanging on the back with the binding. What did you use for the loop?

Pat S says:

These are seriously pretty!

Christine Sherman says:

So pretty!

Margaret says:

these are lovely I would be hanging them up and not using them as they are far too nice to get grease etc on

Colleen says:

beautiful, lucky teachers ! I like the wy you have sewn the loop into the back of the binding. I’ll have to give that a try.

Ginny says:

Love these! And I love that you used solids for binding – Love the look of that. Lucky teachers 🙂

Katie says:

Same program here on the teachers gifts. Thinking of branching out to some zip pouches.

Carol says:

Hi, your potholders are so colourful and will be a joy to use. May I ask, please, the width of the fabric strips you used?
    Carol

kathy in MT says:

I love them all! I wish I was one of Max’s teachers – the rainbow effect is beautiful!

barbara woods says:

Those are great

Denise in PA says:

These are beautiful! What a great use for scraps. And, you’re right, everyone can use potholders!! Although I would hesitate to use them because they’re just so pretty!!

Stephanie says:

Those are perfect! I love the bright colors. How fun! I think I’m off to make some pot holders now too.

Sandra says:

They are lovely. I made a couple earlier this year. I tend to make them rectangular so there’s more of them to grasp whatever out of the oven and then I can use them as a hotpad on the table too. I love the colours you used.

Diann says:

Those are almost too pretty to be used! I need new potholders myself, so I am planning to try some based on your ideas. Thanks for the inspiration!

Patricia says:

These are just so gorgeous! I love the rainbow colors…so inspiring!

Joy C. says:

These are fantastic! I have a very colorful kitchen with Le Creuset stoneware and pots. I might just have to make myself some beautiful potholders to go with my colorful kitchen! Thank you for the inspiration!!