tracking

tracking

I must have triangles on my mind! I have a pattern I’m supposed to be writing, so of course I’ve been doing everything else instead (pattern writing is certainly not my forte!). I got tired of making leggings for Hazel, so I reached for a bit of fun new fabric – the lovely Doe, which is an upcoming line by Carolyn Friedlander for Robert Kaufman.

tracking3

While at Quilt Market, I received a mini charm pack of this new line from Carolyn (I did also manage to snag a fat quarter bundle at Sample Spree, but somehow it’s so much easier to cut into these tiny squares!). Once again I thought it would be a fun challenge to see what I could make with these little 2 1/2″ squares.

tracking5

I didn’t have anything in mind to start, so as usual, I started by grabbing a handful of solids I felt went well . I’m so intrigued by the colors in this line – they’re not necessarily ones I’d select, but I really love what each one adds to the collection.  I’m absolutely in love with the addition of that one brighter orange print.

tracking4

I thought it would be fun to play around with some more improv triangles (similar to these that I made here). I used the solid colors as the backgrounds for the triangles. After they were trimmed to 2 1/2″ x 3″, I put them up on the design wall and found myself arranging them by background color. Since I didn’t have any real design idea in mind, I decided to run with this, and arranged the triangles in strips sorted by background color.

tracking2

The yarn dyed black was one I pulled along with the solids, but didn’t use as the background for the printed triangles. I’m glad, as I love it as the background fabric to bring this quilt up to a decent wall hanging/baby quilt size!

tracking6

I’m really happy with the how this one turned out. I think I’m often surprised by how much I end up loving these little projects that originally were meant to just distract.

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to tracking

Gasp, Ashley! This is so stunning… those colors! It’s so unfair how talented you are 😉

Tina says:

Procrasti-quilting at its best! I love this piece!

Cindy says:

Love the design and the colors of this quilt! And the background is perfect!:)

Shaunna B says:

This has such a modern masculine feel to it. Love the yarn dyed black, makes me think of a great pair of trousers.

Your projects never seem to disappoint! This is beautiful and the colors are UHMAZING! So modern and yet so welcoming!

Wow!! You did such an amazing job with this project. I love it!!

Kathleen says:

You never fail to awe me. Colors and pattern are great.

Margaret says:

very nice I really like the design

Margot says:

I enjoyed the description of your process, and love the result. Super!

Gorgeous! The charcoal is perfect with this color palette!

Sheila says:

Love this, makes me think of a Navajo blanket, not that I am an expert or anything in such things.

Micki says:

Fabulous quilt. I am drawn to the dark background fabric you used. Check out my post on 11.05.14 where I show off a quilt I have been working on for awhile. Scrappy Summer #5 – Triangles has the similar concept of vertical rows of triangles with a single background fabric. Great minds…think alike. I am a ‘noreply’ blogger (can’t figure out how to fix it) but you can contact me at micki@2dogsstudio.us.

Beth says:

That turned out fantastic! Great job!

Emily says:

love it! so fresh and modern.

17. Pingback: FITF: shopping, anyone? | Film in the Fridge

Bron says:

Ashley, your quilts are so wonderful, and inspirational! Please can you tell me how you do the improv triangles? Thanks, Bronwyn in New Zealand