trimmed for Valentine’s Day

vdaytrim5

This quilt has really grown on me. I wasn’t totally sure about all the pinks and reds, but as I continued making blocks, I really became quite smitten! In addition to the pink, red and purple solids (mostly Konas and Cotton Couture solids), I also found that this was the perfect opportunity to add in some wonderful pieces of Oakshott cottons. I love the shimmer and extra dimension these shot cottons add to the quilt.

vdaytrim2

As I mentioned earlier, I decided to make it a bit more difficult (more difficult to sew together, that is!) and made up rectangular blocks in many different sizes. I cut the center rectangular shapes without a ruler so they’d all be slightly wonky.

vdaytrim

Most blocks have a solid white trim, but I added in a couple blocks with some Liberty of London as the trim, and there are a couple using a gray, just for a little extra something something.

vdaytrim6

And just to really drive home the Valentine’s Day-ness of this quilt, I found a text print in my stash with hearts that I pieced into a few of the blocks. They’re not very noticeable on first glance, but I thought it might be a fun little something to discover if you looked closer.

vdaytrim4

Putting it together? Well, that was a bit of a puzzle, and I even woke one morning realizing I had been dreaming about how it was all going to fit together. I put them all up on my design wall, and then started by trimming and sewing together the easy ones – those that were similarly sized. Since I had left the blocks untrimmed and on the larger size when I made them, I had room to trim them down as needed when trying to fit them all together. And mostly they all went together pretty easily, though it did require several partial seams (and more use of my brain than is usually required for sewing a quilt top together!)

vdaytrim7

(it’s definitely not possible to get a photo of a quilt without this one jumping in front of it!)

I’m debating on a suitable backing for the quilt now. I’d like to use something from my stash, but haven’t found anything that works. I can imagine that great Ikea black and white text print on the back, but since I’m miles (and miles and miles – I checked!) from an Ikea, that may not be an option. Any other suggestions? (Thanks to a kind reader, I think there may be some of that Ikea print headed my way!)

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to trimmed for Valentine’s Day

Alison says:

No suggestions I’m afraid. Just a comment that I completely love this quilt top, the colours, the small details, everything. Well done.

Ellen Price says:

I love this color combo! I think the Ikea fabric would be excellent! Do you know anyone who lives near an Ikea…I don’t but I will be at the one in Denver in 3 weeks!

Dianne says:

It looks fabulous! Great job.

elsa says:

Your new quilt is wonderful ~ love the little bits of print here and there.

Heather in Montreal says:

Great quilt top. I would keep the back very simple, maybe all white with just a band of the blocks inserted in or perhaps the same block as the front in white with a red or pink or heart print insertion, so that the back looks like one block from the front, but it negative. Just my thoughts!!!

Carla says:

Another brilliant finish. Makes me want to rush out and buy up some solids : )

Pat says:

Love that quilt! I was at an Ikea on Saturday and falling all over myself to keep from buying any more fabric. They had the sweetest kids duvet cover that was all pink and white hearts. It would be sooooo perfect, either all over, or just with a strip pieced in. Not sure which black and white fabric you were thinking of. If you contact me, I will try to get it for you.

Diane says:

Wonderful job!! Great quilt..
    Order the perfect IKEA fabric online.

Holli says:

Another fabulous quilt! I checked online, and saw the fabric, but no way to actually purchase it without going into the store. I was going to go to my local Ikea today and pick up that text print for myself – I’d be happy to get what you need and ship it to you tomorrow if you’d like. Let me know!

Sandra says:

I LOVE that quilt top. Just Google Black and White fabric. Go into images. All kinds of links to some awesome fabrics. Or try Pintrest or Etsy.

So cool! Some of my favorite quilts are simple like this. Just about color and shape and simple. Such a great design! I’m also taken by your location shot from above. How perfect!

Jenny says:

This is wonderful. I love it.

Marilyn says:

I love this quilt. It has a wonderful feel. Don’t ask me about backings, I either go with something so unexpected you would think it was a different quilt, or I go with muslin.

Suzanne says:

What about keeping the back white and using a colorful thread in the bobbin to make the quilting really stand out?

cheryl says:

I think the ikea fabric would look great- and I drive past one everyday. So let me know…I’d be happy to pick some up and send it to you!

Charity says:

If you can’t order the IKEA fabric online you could ask someone who does live near an IKEA to pick some up for you and mail it? I love this design!

Debbie says:

Love it. It’s so cheerful

Linda says:

When you first showed us, I was kind of “meh”, but now I love it! Who woulda thunk it that all those colors, including purples, would go together so well? They always say that when you dream in your second language, it means you really have it down, so I guess dreaming in “quilting” means you are a quilter with a capital “Q” now….8-). Max is no fool….he knows how to photobomb a quilt shot….

xo Linda

Peggy W. Bennett says:

Love it!! a striped back

susan718 says:

This quilt top is spectacular!!! I never liked red so much until I started quilting, and now I love it for quilts. I think black and white polka dots would make a wonderful back!

Susy says:

I LOVE this quit!! Your quilt for Laurie’s Wisburn’s original line of Urban Zoo on Spoonflower is what got me started! This one is spectacular too!

Leona says:

I can go to Ikea and get what you want there is one near my house.

Let me know.

Leona

kitty says:

Great quilt!! Beautiful coloring!! Happy to hear the Ikea fabric is on its way to you, because I think it will the perfect backing!

kbh says:

Love this. Seems simple, but I’m sure it was devilish at times to put together. The end result is wonderful and a black and white back would be just the thing to counter all that colour. Great job!

jumpingoverboard says:

i already love this quilt and i haven’t seen the back or the quilting (i’m sure both will be amazing)! will it be available in your shop at some point?

Jackie says:

Love your quilt, the design, the colours just love it!! I’d love to make one for myself.

Jayne says:

I LOVE this quilt, red and pink, one of my favorite combos.

Christy Clark says:

Love this!

Marcia R. says:

I was skeptical at first, but it turned out beautiful! My suggestion for a backing, how about a pink flannel? I’ve only used flannel a couple of times for a backing, but it would really make it a warm and cozy sweetheart quilt.

love it as usual you surprise me, I love the heart idea, I saw one before you said it and thought you must have stitched the sweetness in it..

katie says:

Hands down this is my favorite quilt of yours ever!

Carol J says:

Really a wonderful quilt. I love the variety yet control of colors. I wonder if you can find anything with gray for the backing. You really nailed the colors – just look at a color wheel.

nancy says:

This quilt is so lovely! I love the tiny lines of white and I love the unexpected bits of print!

Sarah says:

This quilt is SO COOL! I cant wait to see how you quilt it.

Julietta says:

For the back, I’d do a very bold, large, modern floral on white for curves that contrast with the straight lines on the front. And, I’d machine quilt from the back, using the outlines of the flowers. Just my humble opinion.

Judy Blinkenberg says:

I love this quilt, its one of the prettiest I have seen in a long time. Alot of work but a spectacular outcome. Love, love, love. Perfect for February.

it is totally awesome-sauce! I have tons of that IKEA print if you wanted me to send you some…

This is gorgeous!! I can’t wait to see it finished!!

Wow! I love this!! Now I’m excited to see how you quilt it :-)

Elise says:

I love this quilt! I wasn’t so sure about the colors and layout at first, but now that it is all put together it is absolutely beautiful! You are a great artist!

snips says:

Absolutely stunning! Can’t wait to see it quilted!

Daniela says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this quilt. I would never think to put these colors together (in fact, I’ve always cringed at the idea of reds & pink, love them separately but not together). AMAZING!

Claire Jain says:

Great quilt! I think it’s magical that you put this top together so quickly!

Steffi says:

…at least I found the tiny heart! Not so easy on the small screen of my phone… I love the little details of this one!

Alanna says:

What a cool design! It fits for Valentine’s without being overly mushy. A great quilt to brighten up February!

Karen says:

This quilt is REALLY striking!

49. Pingback: Fabulous Finds Friday: Valentines Edition |

Caroline says:

This is truly gorgeous! Nicely done!

51. Pingback: Rectangles quilt for Valentine’s Day · Quilting | CraftGossip.com

kitblu says:

Good to know you might have a solution for the backing. Me? I would suggest diagonal stripes using wider stripes of the ‘frame’ and ‘interior’ colours and narrow stripes of the ‘matting’ colours. I would love to see the quilt when it is finished.