handknit socks!

I knit something!

socks1

For quite some time now I’ve been obsessed with the idea of having handknit socks, specifically socks that I knit myself. I really knew nothing about knitting socks – I can knit a scarf or a cowl, but that’s pretty much the extent of it. Then last year Amanda started knitting the most gorgeous socks and showing them on Instagram (check out this post to see all the socks she made in 2012!), and with her encouragement, I ordered up some sock yarn, the needles, and Wendy Johnson’s Socks from the Toe Up.

socks

Of course, this first pair was certainly no walk in the park – I figured out the toe without too much trouble, but just couldn’t seem to wrap my mind around making the heel. Needless to say, there was quite a bit of ripping out and restarting, along with plenty of thoughts of ‘I should really just buy socks instead’. I’m really glad I kept at it though (even though it’s taken me nearly a year to finally finish them) because I’m mighty proud of these socks, and super happy to put them on and know that I made them! I already have another pair started, and I’m happy to say that this second pair has been so much easier, now that I have an idea of how it all works!

_ _ _

I’m trying to spend the week working on quilt backs for unfinished quilts, so not much to show on the sewing front. But hopefully soon there will be a quilting marathon, and then some finished quilts!

This entry was posted in Knitting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to handknit socks!

Carla says:

Good for you for doing a pattern on your first try! They are gorgeous.

Handknit socks are the best! You’ll only want handknit from now on. Are you on ravelry?

anna says:

they’re totally amazing! and I hope to someday be able to knit myself some socks!!

Katie says:

Great socks! Knitting my own socks is on my craft bucket list – I just need to get the courage!

Patti says:

Yay for you! I also just finished my first pair of socks too! Toe up of course!

Good for you! I love to knit but haven’t tried socks yet, heard that book was great, may need to check it out!

Leslie says:

Beautiful job, you would never know that was your first pair and I love the yarn!! Sock knitting is an addiction, enjoy!!

kristal says:

Ok advice for those that will try knitting socks. Follow the heel blind. It never makes sense the first time. Excellent job on the socks. Here is to many more. Check out knitty.com for more sock patterns.

carol fun says:

Gorgeous socks! Love the combination of yarn and pattern and color! I too started knitting so I could make hand knit socks and I’m so happy I did. There is nothing as comfy for the feet as hand knit socks! May there be many more pairs in your future.

Jane says:

Congratulations! One’s first pair of socks is always a big deal, and yours look gorgeous! I find there is something really satisfying about being able to leave the house knowing I made my own socks, even if they are time consuming to make.

Suzanne says:

Congrats on a wonderful pair of socks.

Sandra H says:

Wow, you didn’t just knit “something”, you knitted awesomeness!! Yay for you!

Dolly says:

Congratulations…….your first handknit sock finish is such an unbelievable high ! I remember first making a pair of mittens, and being amazed as I saw them forming before my eyes……..then I HAD to try socks. It became my obsession for about 2 years or more, so be forewarned. I just don’t seem to be able to concentrate on anything long enough to knit a pair now, but I have some wonderful socks to wear now anyway.

Sonya says:

Nice Job! I have to laugh because I just wrote a blog post today with the same title. Mine is scheduled to post tomorrow (www.graceelizabeths.wordpress.com) I love seeing what others are doing and learning. The heal was the most difficult part of my first sock, and on my second and third. After that I figured out that there are different patterns for the heal and is really a preference determined by the pattern maker. Happy knitting…

Genevieve says:

Those are BEAUTIFUL! I’m in the process of learning how to knit socks as well. I agree..the heel was the hardest part of the whole process.

Genevieve

Kristin says:

So cool! :) They look great. I have some stuff on order, this is the year I figure out socks. I have also been super inspired by Amanda! :) I love seeing all her socks on Instagram.

kristin says:

holy geez those are pretty! wow, great work!

elsa says:

Socks were my very first project in knitting and mine are way plain ~ just knit and purl at the top.
    Your socks are stellar! Love the color you chose and the design is lovely!

Ruth says:

Brilliant!
    The first time I turned a heel I had to stop myself running out into the road and shrieking “Look look, how on earth did someone work out how to do this?’
    It never ceases to amaze me that someone did.

Ruth says:

Forgot to say… that colour is so yummy that I could eat it with a spoon.

lynda says:

Congratulations to you, that is quite an achievement! I belong to the “laughing one sock club,” where we have made one sock and can’t stop laughing.

Sandra H says:

I am envious, wish I could knit. (I am a quilter!) A girl at work is knitting baby socks (on 4 birchwood needles). They are SO cute!

Good job!! I think finishing up a WIP is just as impressive as socks :) this reminds me of the first pair I knit. I think you did better than I did – one of mine was two sizes bigger than the other! I was clearly still working in even tension :)