swirling swans

This quilt was so fun to make! This is the Swirling Medallion pattern from Jacquie and Katie’s new book, Quilting Modern. I made this version according to their pattern, but there are so many ways you could use their fun stitch and flip technique to make something entirely your own.

The colors were inspired by the swan backing fabric, which is an older Lizzy House print from her Red Letter Day line. I pulled a couple Michael Miller Cotton Couture solids to match, along with one or two matching prints.

I spent a while contemplating the quilting, and actually first started with straight lines, which I ended up ripping out. I’m glad I did, since I really love this irregular herringbone pattern on this quilt (though I will say that I’m glad this quilt was baby-sized – this quilting took some time!)

It’s all finished off with a nice brown stripe for binding.  And for those keeping track, this makes the second finished quilt from the unfinished list. We’re making progress here!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] HST Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to swirling swans

randi says:

This is SO cute, Ashley!

Anna says:

I love it! It looks amazing!

Suzanne says:

I very much like the herringbone quilting! It accentuates the piecing so nicely. And that barn, swoon!

mathea says:

Another finish – Well done! Lovely quilt – I really like your choice of colours and the herringbone quilting is great!

Faith says:

You are on a roll! I love the quilting.

elsa says:

I love your version! I’m taking the medallion class from Katie at the Quilting Loft in August ~ can hardly wait!

carla says:

Love the quilting on this! I am so looking forward to seeing more finishes! Hope you are having fun.

Debbie says:

love this quilt & your quilting is awesome!!

Sandy Ellison says:

Love love LOVE the quilting design!

sewkatiedid says:

You’ve inspired me to start checking ufos off my list. I can’t tell you how itching I am to start new ones!

I love the irregular herringbone and might have to give it a go! We did a zig zag with this block that didn’t make it to the book, maybe that will be my next ufo.

Sus says:

This quilt is gorgeous! I might have to breakdown and get the book now for the pattern!

This is a super cute quilt! I love the colors.

– Katie Fleming

Krista says:

Beautiful quilt as a whole, but the quilting really is extra amazing. Great job Ashley!

Hurray, another finish and a gorgeous one on top of it.

Linda Fieldhouse says:

Ashley.
    You quilt is beautifu and the quilting goes great with it.

Have a great day.

Linda F

Cradke says:

This was my vote as a quilt to finish! I love it and you’re quilting looks fab. Much better than straight lines.

Tamie says:

This is really pretty and the quilting is amazing…

Jenny says:

Wow, I LOVE it. I wonder did you start quilting with the verticals, then go all the way across horizontally angling up and down? I’m crazy about the whole thing, including the magnificent color selection.

Susan says:

Wow, such great colors, and the quilting is really perfect. I’m so impressed at the way this turned out!

Janice says:

man oh man, that herringbone quilting is fantastic! I need to try that sometime! I adore that Lizzy House print (I think I’m down to one tiny scrap). Beautiful quilt!

Erin says:

I love the colors of this (from here it appears to be a perfect gender neutral mix), but most especially I love that herringbone pattern. It was really worth the extra time!

Your quilt is so bright and cheery. Love the way you quilted it. That orange really makes it pop.

Bronwyn Silvester says:

This looks so good it is very clever piecing and the quilting what a great idea. Well done and the legs are cute too.

Jayne says:

What a delightful quilt and I love your photography!

I love the colors you chose and the quilting is fantastic!

Lisa C says:

I cannot believe how different this quilt looks quilted. The backing is fabulous. You have a fantastic finish here!

Donna says:

The bits of white in the orange and green fabrics really make this sparkle. I love it! Yay for crossing off another quilt on your list!

Love it. This is definitely one of the patterns I want to make from the book. And agreed – the quilting is great!! hmmm, I even have the pink swans that I’ve been hoarding b/c they are so darn cute.

Anita says:

What can I say that hasn’t already been said? Love it!

Your quilt is beautiful. And I really love the quilting! looks like it took forever!

Jodieth says:

I love your quilting on this. I just love the way you put everything together!

Wendy says:

I love the binding! The stripes are so cool! I am doing my first “pieced” binding right now!

beth lehman says:

the quilting is really fabulous here, i can’t get enough of it!!

37. Pingback: ::Double Herringbone Whole Cloth Quilt:: « SEW KATIE DID