Ruby Strings quilt

Check one off the list! I’ve still been plugging away on those unfinished quilts, and decided to start with this one, since I already had a backing made. So once I got it basted, it was a pretty quick finish!

I love me a string quilt, and I’ve made quite a few already. This time I decided to alternate the printed fabrics with solid white, and I even made up a chart so that the strips would line up. I had a fat quarter stack of Bonnie & Camille’s Ruby line and thought this would be perfect for a string quilt. I really love how this line has a Christmasy feel with the reds and lime greens, yet would still be perfectly lovely any time of year.

I knew I wanted an all over quilting design, so I took yet another look through Angela Walters’ wonderful new book Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters (so inspiring!). I decided to try out her double loop design, which has lots of fun loops with double loops every once in a while. It’s kind of similar to the movements for a regular meandering design, so it was a relatively easy one to complete. I really love the texture it gives the quilt, and I love looking closely and seeing those fun loops!

(Max really loves quilts!)

I used Aurifil thread this time, which is a first for me. I’ve seen lots and lots of praise for Aurifil on various blogs, but to be honest, I wasn’t sure if it could really be so much better than what I was already using. Terri kindly sent me some to try (thanks again, Terri!), and I did a bunch of piecing with it, and was pretty impressed. I’ve mainly used Mettler thread, but I think I’m an Aurifil convert now. I love the size of the spools, and the weight (50 wt, in this case) was perfect for piecing, and equally as perfect for the quilting on this quilt. I’ve already bought myself several in white and cream, and now I’m looking forward to trying some of their other (many!) colors and weights.

Anyway, I’m so happy with this quilt, and even happier to have one fewer quilt on my work in progress list!

My tutorial for string quilt blocks can be found here, and you can find a PDF chart here to recreate this particular design.

Previous posts about this quilt can be found here and here. This quilt measures about 58" x 68".

You can still find a great selection of Ruby fabrics at The Quilted Castle (and p.s. if you order by 7/12 and use discount code julysale, you'll save 30%!)

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] String Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Ruby Strings quilt

Suzanne says:

It’s a beautiful quilt and I really the quilting but what astounds me most about this post is how big Max has gotten. Boy, time flies!

celinum says:

congratulation! the quilt is just lovely. I hope you don’t have a lot of uncompleted quilts to finish…. good luck with them:)

elsa says:

Oh, it’s a beautiful quilt ~ love the red in it. Max is getting so big! And, thanks for the tutorial ~ think I’ve got to add this one to my ever growing list of quilts to make!

Camilla says:

Looks stunning! That tutorial is great too I used it to make a string quilt for my sister, which turned out really well. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Dianne says:

Love the quilt…and the quilting! I’ve already spent quite a bit of time looking at all of your blocks in amazement of the time it must have taken to get everything laid out and lined up so perfectly! Congrats!

wendi says:

Love this quilt! I don’t like making string quilts, but this one is so stunning, it makes me want to! : )

Annie says:

I love this string quilt!!! And I don’t generally like string quilts at all. But yours looks fabulous! I suppose it must be your controlled design that gives it a pleasant order rather than the usual string quilt chaotic look. Well done!

Claire Jain says:

Beautimous! I love the quilting. What a great one to have finished :-)

Kim McBirnie says:

That’s a beautiful quilt, I love the alternating widths of the stripes, and the colours work so well. I will definitely add this string quilt to my to do list!

carla says:

It’s lovely in every way : )

Xandi says:

Darn – I was hoping I would get to the end and you would say you were selling it ;-)

Annalia says:

I do love this one…even more than usual! I love the way the strips alternate from a light to a dark fabric within the diamonds. It’s genius. :)

Emma says:

So beautiful! I would love to make a quilt exactly like this, I wouldn’t change a thing!

Kar says:

Gorgeous! Love your little quilt helper. Max is so cute!

Amanda says:

Simply gorgeous!!!! Love it.

Tiffany says:

I’ve never been much of a fan of string quilts… until I saw yours. They are gorgeous! I might have to make myself one now. I particularly love this one.
    And Max is adorable.

Megan says:

Oooh, I love the pattern on this one – hooray for you for crossing off projects on your WiP list! I can’t believe how grown up Max is becoming.

Tamie says:

This is beautiful. It makes me want to add yet another project to my To Do list. I also can’t believe how big Max looks. Wow.

CitricSugar says:

It’s just lovely! Every time I see that design I want to try it – love that the stripes all match up. Nice to see it finished!

Jessica C says:

I absolutely love this quilt!

Sandra H says:

I LOVE this quilt. Makes me want to go downstairs and cut strips. It’s so crisp and awesome and….I want it….. :)

Judi says:

I love Moda Ruby, here’s what I did with my jelly roll and charm pack. Same fabrics but so different from your lovely one. http://judiknitsandsews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/bloggers-quilt-festival-spring-2012.html

Sewfrench says:

LOVE this quilt. I love a good string quilt and this one is exceptional. I really like the wider strings interspersed!

Melodee says:

I drooled over this quilt the first time around, I didnt realize it wasn’t finished. A string quilt is on my bucket list of quilts to make, as much as I love this one, I am intimidated by how much matching is involved, a scrappy one wouldn’t have that issue. It is so lovely, I will have to keep thinking about it. Thanks for sharing the details.

sewkatiedid says:

I’m big on Aurofil and don’t see lookin’ back. Eeekkk that child is walking?! How time flies.

Kimberli says:

Beautiful!! Thanks for posting!

Mary ann says:

Love the quilt ! And thank you for sharing the PDF. I have lots of pieces of all of Bonnie and Camille’s lines so I am moving this off the someday list to the soon list! Thanks again for the tutorial and PDF.

Karen says:

This is one of the prettiest quilts I’ve ever seen. I may just have to make one myself! I just love how string quilts continue to inspire me.

Jillmc says:

I have had this fabric in my stash just waiting for the “right” quilt, and here it is! Gorgeous! I have already started cutting my strips! Thank you for the PDF chart!

Kay Hoeppner says:

This is absoulutely my faveorite. I am ready to try a larger string, have done a few minis. Max is such a cutie and getting to be such a big boy. They grow up waaaay too fast:)

Maggi says:

The quilt is fabulous! The PDF is a bit confusing to me. The quilt looks like squares set straight. The PDF looks like 1/2 square triangles. Am I just looking at it wrong??? Thanks for any clarification :0)

Brenda says:

Just found your blog, love it.

Page says:

What a beautiful quilt! I love your string quilt tutorial!

AmyH says:

LOVE this! I had a fat quarter stack of Vintage Modern that I was going to use for something else but could not resist this quilt. I am about 60% complte with the blocks. The PDF was very easy to follow. Can’t wait to finish!

Laura says:

Hi I am almost done making the ruby strings quilt front and was wondering what you did for the back?

37. Pingback: The Snug Bug

38. Pingback: What’s underway: fitting, knitting and stringy quilting… | The Snug Bug

39. Pingback: Christmas String Quilt – Weihnachtstischdecke - Stoffbreite.de