liberty wonky cross blocks

I’ve been hoarding little pieces of Liberty fabrics since I started sewing. I’ve purchased lots of small pieces (most recently from Jo at the Organic Stitch Co.) I’ve also been gifted some gorgeous pieces from Kate, Katy, and from a generous blog reader, Isabel. Thank you, thank you!!

It seems no pattern is ever good enough for my pretty Liberty fabrics, so there they sit, boxed in a closet. Sad.

Yesterday I decided to just start using them, starting off with these mini wonky cross blocks, totally inspired by this cute little pincushion made by the lovely Nova.

Nova’s little cross blocks are super teeny tiny and perfect. I’m not that good at working with such tiny pieces, so I opted to make mine a bit larger. I’m going for 3 1/2″ squares, which still appear little and cute. Of course, it’ll take quite a few to make a decent sized quilt! Luckily they’re quick and fun to make.

I love how it only takes a tiny bit of the Liberty prints to make a big impact! I would love to make a large quilt out of these blocks, but I know myself, and I’m quite certain I’d grow tired of it long before I had made enough blocks. It looks like this one is destined to be baby sized…

_ _ _

Anyone in the Burlington, VT area (or visiting our state during this lovely Fall season)? Be sure to stop by Nido on Monday afternoon. Kelly Wilkinson of Make Grow Gather will be there from 5-7 to sign copies of her new book, Weekend Handmade. Nido will also be celebrating their 2 year anniversary, complete with fun snacks and 20% off storewide from 4-7pm. Maybe I’ll see you there?

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to liberty wonky cross blocks

Debbie says:

This pincushion is beyond darling and your blocks – wow. Like you said – just a little makes a big impact! Can’t wait to see this progress. Nice.

elsa says:

I also have some small bits of Liberty fabric and was wondering what I could ever do with them. I sometimes get into the thinking that bigger is better. Decidedly it is not. The beginnings of this quilt is lovely. Looking forward to seeing it done!

anna says:

i love these so much, so so much!!! and great use of the liberty, you’re right a little goes a long way for big impact!

Someday I will own some Liberty fabric :) Love the wonky crosses! The pincushion is too cute.

Ashley,

These are some of my favorite blocks you have done! The simplicity is just perfect. Happy weekend to you and your family.

Katy says:

I swear I heard a small cheer there as it got released from its confines ;o) Very cute use of them so far

Kate says:

Always excited to see fabric moved from the stash to the sewing machine, especially when it is Liberty!

Lovely blocks, the quilt will be a stunner.

x

Elizabeth says:

I have a small stash if Liberty that I save for special projects too : ). Your cross blocks are fabulous.

Nova says:

oh Ashley! it’s going to be stunning! I love those blocks (of course ;)!)
    x

Cindy says:

Super cute blocks and I love, love the pincushion!! I wished I were in your area to see the fall colors! I was there in July and loved the area- would really love seeing it in the fall!

Suzanne says:

The liberty squares are lovely. If you don’t want to make a small quilt maybe they can become a runner for a table or a dresser? They will make an adorable finish however you choose.

Pétra says:

I can’t wait to see the cross blocks all together. You are right such a small amount of fabric does make a big impact.

Ohhhh, I am sitting on a rainbow pack of Liberty as well. So precious and hard to cut! I have some ideas, but still not the guts (or time) to slice them up just yet :)

Ooh, those blocks look lovely! Nothing cooler than seeing some of my ridiculous hoard of Liberty fabrics in other people’s quilt blocks :)

Apologies for the completely shameless plug, but I’m restocking the Liberty prints in a big way next weekend, so I’m offering a 15% discount on everything in my shop this week (liberty bundles and scrap bags included) with the code RESTOCK. Just, you know, in case anyone reading here wants to adopt some of my stash…

Super cute! I’ve been dreaming of Liberty lately as well. We’ll see what chance befalls.

Kristine says:

I love these little blocks. I’m not usually a fan of liberty in quilts (even though I love the fabric), but these blocks I adore. This could be the solution I’ve needed. Please post more photos as your quilt progresses.

18. Pingback: mama needs to wash her hair » not finished :)

19. Pingback: FITF: i heart liberty | Film in the Fridge

Sherri says:

How do you plan to set them together? I notice that your strips are different widths. Does this present any problems?

21. Pingback: FITF: a little liberty wall hanging | Film in the Fridge