a long weekend…

I hope you all had a lovely holiday weekend! We lucked out and even though there was some rain (as has been the case ALL month long!), we also saw the sun and some warmer temperatures.

(photographic evidence that the sun was out!)

We took the opportunity to do a tiny bit of gardening – planting our 2 tomato plants and a bunch of basil (that’s about all the gardening I can handle!) – and spent the rest of the time just relaxing.

Max spent a lot of his time like this –

snoozing on the couch under the ceiling fan. I think he had the right idea!

I was so tempted to join him, but instead took the opportunity to sew together my HST blocks.

I remember now why it’s been so long since I’ve made a quilt with half square triangles… I love all the designs you can make, but I find the trimming of all those squares to be incredibly tedious!! (I don’t know how Rita does it!)

But now that that part’s done, I can sit back and enjoy this quilt top. I recently pulled out my old Windmill Whimsy quilt and was reminded how much I like the design, so I decided to make another, this time in this fun boyish color palette.

Now I just need to figure out a backing… preferably one without any more HSTs!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to a long weekend…

Alexis says:

I know what you mean. I LOVE the look of HSTs and their versatility, but I really get agita when I start considering making lots and lots (and lots) of them for a quilt….

ellesquare says:

have you tried the method where you sew AROUND the squares instead of down the middle? it’s life-changing.

Love those sleepy Max photos – he’s so adorable with his hands up and little sleepy grin. I love the layout of your new quilt – HST’s certainly are fun to design with. Nice one!

Kara says:

Your little man is so, so, SO precious!!! :)

char says:

Max did have the right idea. It’s a little too hot here to do much as I don’t do summer well.
    Love the quilt, I’m working with HST’s right now also.

Alisa says:

Pretty quilt! I love it when babies sleep with their little arms above their heads. They look so relaxed and seem to be saying….ahhh, life is good. He’s adorable.

Amie says:

I’m currently making a baby quilt with hst’s and was going on and on about how fast it was going…until I started trimming. I hate trimming.

Ruth says:

Love the quilt – definitely worth the effort – would like to know more about the sewing around method mentioed above in the comments though…..I’m intrigued…..

Susan Jonsson says:

Is this an original pattern? Simply beautiful….I would like to try it. I am flabergasted that you can produce such gorgeous work….And take on motherhood too….Such a beautiful baby…Fun to see him grow!

Susan

Cari says:

That sleepy smile is so adorable! I still think he might be the most beautiful baby E V E R! Love all you quilts too! The colors in this one are perfect!

Erin says:

I used to sleep like that – with the arms up – my family called it the “touchdown” position. I love his tummy sticking out too – adorable!!
    The quilt is lovely too, as usual!

tusen says:

it’s a great pattern and looks beautiful in these colours

Sarah says:

OMGoodness Max is just too cute! Reminds me of my “little” boy when he used to sleep (he’s 4 in a couple of weeks – scary where that time has gone!) Cherish and enjoy every moment – time slips by far too quickly. I am totally with you on trimming the HST’s – I posted my finished quilt top on my blog yesterday – each stage you think “nearly there” and then there’s another stage to go through! That said, the quilts do look fabulous with them – yours is stunning in this colourway

15. Pingback: HST Fever | Whipstitch

Kar says:

Love the quilt! I’m not sure I’m up to trying HST’s just yet. I think Max had the perfect idea on how to spend the weekend. What a cute guy!

Kate says:

The photo of Max, splayed out on the lounge with the tiniest of smiles is priceless. What an adorable little guy – gorgeous!

Melina says:

Hi there, I’ve been following your blog ever since I went on maternity leave in February. I find your quilts so inspiring! It’s got me all geared up to start sewing again and wanting to make more quilts for my little guy Henry. I’m hoping you don’t mind but I linked to your blog in one of my blog posts. Keep up the great work, everything looks so good!

Lisa says:

Love the contented snoozy baby pictures. So dear. And the quilt is lovely too!

Kate says:

I’m sorry, but I didn’t read a word that you wrote because THAT BABY!!! ACK! You just can’t post baby-smiling-in-his-sleep-with-his-tummy-exposed pictures if you want people to read actual words. ;)

Ooo that looks great! Oghh HSTs are torture!

Tori Sumer says:

Looks like tons of fun with your adorable little guy! The quilt top looks great – I may have to start a new one this week!

EG says:

He’s just adorable! The quilt is nice too, but he is ADORABLE!

Sarah says:

Oh my goodness, Max is TOOOO cute!

Munaiba says:

That’s a great quilt Ashley and Max is looking his usual gorgeous baby self!

What a generous give-away and a really lovely quilt. Max is sooo cute! I love to see photos of him.

CitricSugar says:

Ah! Baby bellies – my secret weakness!

Love how the HST quilt top turned out.

Donna S. says:

Max is such a cutie!! My husband & grown son are named Max.

Karen Ch says:

An enjoyable blog you put together, l’ve been following it for over 12 months and i think the fact that you use the munki munki fabrics is what caught my eye to start with. I simply adore the fish block baby quilt with munki munki that you’ve done. I just took some time to look back over the quilts you’ve made and they add up don’t they. No doubt your friends and family have been the loving recipients of many of your creations. If you are anything like me you struggle to give your “new favourite” away. Keep up the blogging as i down here in Australia love to see what you are working on. Cheers Karen

L says:

Yes yes yes! Love that quilt top!