40 weeks… and a peek at the nursery

Well, today marks 40 weeks! There’s no sign of baby yet, but hopefully soon – we’re very much looking forward to meeting him! While we wait, how about a look at the nursery?

This room has been our office, then our guest room, and now a room for the new baby. This set up is by far my favorite!

Here’s a view from the doorway –

And this shows one side of the room, with the glider and closet door. As I mentioned previously, we opted for gray for the walls, and I totally love it. (Benjamin Moore Gray Horse.)

You may have seen the pillow I made for the glider in this post. The mirror and table are finds from a local antique shop.

This shows the opposite side of the room, standing at the closet –

The large pear is a wall hanging we made forever ago using a Marimekko panel, and I was so pleased to find that it nearly perfectly matches the bookcase (which I finally broke down and bought, despite the high shipping cost!) I posted about the crib here, including the crib skirt and sheets I made. The smaller art pieces are also fabric covered canvases, using some of my favorite fabrics from Hitomi’s shop.

The bookcase currently holds a variety of fun items – a few vintage toys I’ve found online, and a few that were mine as a child. The cute little turtle (we’re calling him Timbo) on the top shelf was made by my sweet friend Phiona, using a Wee Wonderfuls pattern. We also received a wonderful gift from Heather – a copy of Where the Sidewalk Ends, which was one of my favorites as a child. After doing a little digging, I discovered I owned another Shel Silverstein book, so now we’ve got the start of a collection!

The lower shelf holds the stack of quilts.

A couple stuffed animals, and that wonderful sweater made by Kate.

Above the crib is this fun Flensted mobile (love that little worm on a hook!). Currently it’s been keeping Morgan entertained, and I hope it will do the same for the baby!

The opposite corner holds the changing table and a smaller vintage table holding those fabric baskets I made recently.

The artwork above the changing table is some we made a couple years ago, using a variety of papers and a Martha Stewart paper punch (I guess I never posted about it, (though you can see them a little closer here) but the tutorial came from this blog).

The framed piece near the closet door is my newest favorite – an absolutely perfect print from Heather Ross, which we framed and hung yesterday.

And there you have it! We hope the baby will be very happy in his new room.

(and I hope that he’ll arrive soon!!)

_ _ _

This entry was posted in baby, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

98 Responses to 40 weeks… and a peek at the nursery

Jenni says:

What a charming space for your sweet baby! Best wishes!!

Angela Chard says:

absolutely beautiful! love the light, cool vibe it has…you will be in heaven sitting in that rocker with your little angel : )

Marion says:

What a beautiful nursery! Best wishes to you Ashley and that the baby will arrive soon :)

holly | bijou lovely says:

Ashley the nursery is so beautiful! I’m sure the baby will love it! Hope he comes out soon :)

Kaye Prince says:

Very cool! All of the colours are just great and I know baby is going to be very happy in his room! Can’t wait for him to arrive and see some first pictures!

Suzanne says:

Congratulations, Ashley. You have a sweet nursery already filled with a lot of love. I hope you have an easy delivery, physically and emotionally. Rest up!

Angie says:

Your happy anticipation beams from this precious nursery! Best wishes to the 3 of you as you celebrate this most amazing time in your lives!

Lisa says:

Such a beautiful nursery! I love the bedding as well – are they frogs – so cute!

Caitlin says:

Your nursery is just beautiful! I’ve got a thing for fish/sealife, myself, and I’m just DYING over your mobile!! :) LOVE IT! That bookcase is rockin, too!

what a lovely room. By far my favourite part of it would have to be the pile of quilts. I sigh dreamily at the thought of a pile of quilts in one of my girls’ rooms….

char says:

It’s really a lovely nursery. My daughter is eighteen and still loves Shel Silverstein!

Jessica says:

Love it! The gray is beautiful. If I ever move, I think I’ll paint our house in cool colors. I love the amount of space you have, too and the way you haven’t cluttered it up!

I went to exactly 42 weeks with Liam and finally went into labor the day I was supposed to be induced. I don’t know if your doctor will let you go that long, but sometimes little babies can be stubborn!

Alice R. says:

Excuse me, could you take a break from being very pregnant and come decorate my house for me? I’d be very grateful, really.

That is one lucky baby! Very cute decor, the grey walls really make all the other colorful things pop.

I had a pothos plant in my girls room until my Mother-in-Law pointed out that it is poisonous when ingested! Now it is in our bedroom. Thought you might like to know.

Faith says:

Ooooo, I love looking at people’s nurseries! :) I think splurging for the bookshelf was a good move – it’s definitely a focal piece. And that pear is too. I think the little man will love his new room.

Susanne says:

Gorgeous. Hope your wait isn’t much longer.

Mary says:

This nursery is gorgeous! You have a real talent for decorating- by keeping the furnishings simple and wall color subdued, you are free to add some really wonderful bursts of color! Just beautiful!

Annie says:

beautiful nursery!!
    happy happy due date!!

randi says:

what a peaceful room! i do hope your little on makes an appearance soon! :)

susan mckey says:

Oh, Ashley, it looks so calm and sunny and warm. You’re child will love his room, which will be a great thing after feeling like he is permanently attached to you in some way or other :-)
    I found that same Marimekko panel on ebay a couple of years ago and made a quilt out of it, with some Alexander Henry (I think) fruit print on the back. I LOVE that pear. It’s perfect in a baby room (or in the studio of a crazed fabric hoarder disguised as me). Happy due date! My first was born on April 1st, so I have fond memories of long, waddling walks right around this time of year!

anna says:

lovely ashley, and that pear is so cool. :) hope your babe is on his way soon!

Lisa Mason says:

What a lovely nursery. All the best wishes to you and your family! If he comes today, we’ll share a birthday! Good Luck. oxox

Raven says:

What a darling nursery! Best wishes to you for a safe and heathly delivery- soon! :)

Kim says:

Those colors are perfect! The whole room is perfect :) Hopefully your sweet boy will be here soon to see his fab room!

Jennifer says:

Such a calm, lovely room. I love the pear and of course your stack of quilts on that cute bookcase. Looks like you are all ready!

Lisa says:

I love the big green pear! And that Heather Ross print… awesome. Best wishes.

jessie says:

Love the beachy-cool feel! Thank you for sharing and Happy Due Date Day!

Alissa says:

Oh you’ve done SUCH a nice job getting the room together and cozy. So many wonderful touches. Tastefully and attractive, yet also cute and perfect for a baby!! I’m so excited for you!! Hope to see an adorable baby face on your blog soooooon!

Mary Beth says:

Happy 40 weeks! I hope you can rest and do all things comfortable at this point! I love the nursery. We have a similar glider— that thing will save your sanity in the middle of the night! LOVE the bookshelf. Well worth the shipping!

Linda says:

Sweet nursery! An example of “nesting” at its best…8-)

My wish for you is a quick and trouble-free delivery. Everyone says first labors last 12 – 24 hours, but my first was 3 1/2 hours. I’m a lucky woman!

xoxo hugs for you and Morgan!

Ethne says:

what a beautiful tranquil room

amanda says:

I think YOU will be very happy in that room – and really, that’s what matters at the beginning! Good luck today & on his birthday!

Christina says:

Beautiful room! I love everything in it! Great job:)

Margaret says:

I’m sure the little guy will be very happy in his room. :-)

Sara says:

So many sweet things to welcome your new little love! If I had to pick my favorite element, it would be the mobile.
    Wishing you a safe and easy delivery!

Missie says:

Lucky Baby!!! I wish I had a room as cool as that. Best wishes for a wonderful delivery. Can’t wait to see his precious face amongst that gorgeous fabric!

sheila pin says:

It’s just wonderful!!! Good luck on the birth – had both my babies at home with midwives and it was a remarkable experience – my kids are 11 and 9 now and I still can’t believe how much I love them!

Emily cUrfew says:

I love this room! And I especially love the grey walls, the lime green bookcase, all the displays on the bookshelf, and of course all of the personal touches including quilts and framed heather Ross print. What an excitIng time! Enjoy it and hopefully baby arrives soon and smoothly. Best wishes!!

Connie says:

What a fortunate little man, to come into a world so lovingly prepared for him. — Thinking about you and wishing for you the best.

heather says:

it’s absolutely breath taking! and i lOVE that now you have 2 Shel Silverstein books! What a creative little baby you are sure to have friend! Xoxoxo

Dawn says:

What a gorgeous nursery!! I’m sure baby will be very happy there. Good luck!! :)

Diane says:

It all looks wonderful! good luck! ahh the waiting…

Linda says:

The baby’s room is absolutely adorable! Love it! Best wishes for the days ahead!

chris says:

the perfect nursery! so simplistic in it’s beauty that all the little details really stand out. I am loving the mobile….it would totally entertain me too.

Jen S. says:

Everything looks beautiful, Ashley!!! Try to get some major rest before he comes (soon! soon! Yay!)

Angela says:

oh I always love a well designed nursery. Yours is fabulous! Your attention to detail is great and though I don’t think you mentioned it, I love the splash of color with the floor quilt you have put down. And I’m pretty much drooling with envy over that Heather Ross Print. That might be my favorite one of hers that I have seen!

Flying Blind says:

Stunning! Lucky lucky baby! Sit back and enjoy the silence, because you won’t be getting any more of that for years to come!!

Leigh says:

I absolutely love your blog and your quilts. It’s been especially fun reading about your baby preparations lately, because I am also expecting a baby boy any day now (I’m 39 weeks). This is my second boy. I have made several quilts for him, too! Your nursery is totally gorgeous! Good luck with everything!

Andria says:

So cute! Good luck with the birth of your sweet boy. Use this time to take some naps because you won’t ever really be able to take a good one for quite some time!

Sarah says:

Lovely nursery … to be honest, I’d be more than delighted to spend all my time in there! Especially love the little fish on the lampshade to go with the mobile … beautiful touches! …

Jan says:

What a great room! I bet you hope he gets here, sooner rather than later.

Great Aunt Nikki says:

I have clear memories of Simon’s birth, and the first year which was so incredible since I was able to be home. Ashley and Morgan, you have done such a fabulous job of creating and uniquely special place to welcome your precious baby! Of course, it’s all perfect and and the new little Newk will love it! I can’t wait to see the first photos!
    Best wishes for a the experience of a lifetime.
    Love, Nikki

Valerie says:

Love the nursery! New reader of your blog and love your creativity! Best wishes on your delivery and meeting your new little one! What a sweet life moment…

Rachael says:

So gorgeous! Love it! You and he will enjoy this space so much.

Audrie says:

Every detail is just absolutely gorgeous! I hope your little man comes soon!! :)

Erica says:

Wow, the whole room is gorgeous. I especially love the shade of grey you chose for the walls & the lovely mobile above the cot. I think baby will be very happy here. x

Jill C. says:

Looks comfy, cozy and adorable. I hope you love it too, you’ll be spending a lot of time in there! The stack of quilts is amazing. Hope he shows up soon, so exciting!!

ASHLEY!!! It’s so AWESOME!!! I super love it – where is the shelf from? You will so enjoy this room. High 5 to Morgan too! Such an amazing job!!

Fran says:

Ashley, All the best to you and your husband. Your nesting has resulted in a beautiful home for your little one. Enjoy every minute.

Megan says:

Such a sweet nursery Ashley! It’s so much fun your first time! Wishing you a safe and quick delivery and a happy, healthy little boy:)

Kate says:

What a beautiful space for a new baby. The nursey looks fantastic!

x

What a perfect little nursery! Good luck with your upcoming delivery. :D

Laura says:

What a perfectly lovely room!!! I’m sure you can’t wait to see a little newborn cuddled up in the crib finally making the space complete.

Patty says:

The room looks almost perfect,it’s just missing your precious little one. Good luck, and best wishes for a healthy and quick labor and delivery of a healthy son.

Annalia says:

So sweet. My favorite – the tiny black chair! (I’m just a sucker for little chairs, and you worked it in there perfectly!) Best wishes for a good delivery and healthy baby. :)

Munaiba says:

It looks lovely Ashley. Very calming.

Wow, it all looks beautiful! And I bet you’re just dying to bring home your little boy and pop him in there. We should be meeting our number two child any day now, so I’m waiting in anticipation alongside you :)

aimee says:

Beautiful nursery Ashley! I hope he makes his debut soon! Congratulations!

Di says:

HI Ashley. I’ve been a reader and a lurker for a long time but wanted to comment today to say how beautiful the nursery looks. I love that pear print! I hope all goes well and your baby arrives safely soon. xo

Karen H says:

The nursery looks very nice…… love it! I’m sure he’ll make his appearance soon….good luck!

Marty says:

What a lovely peaceful place for a baby.

April says:

I would be so lost if I had to design a room for a boy. But you did a really nice job. It’s a room he can grow into as well. My husband saw your pics and said, “that’s the color I wanted to paint our bathroom!” When he told me his “gray idea” a few weeks ago I immediately thought of you and your love of gray. Thanks for sharing the paint name. Hopefully you’ll be holding your new buddy by the weekend! :)

The room has so much light! It looks like a lovely place to be. Hoping baby arrives real soon and that you actually enjoy the birth. It’s worth enjoying!

Michelle Ray says:

Your Nursery is lovely, well done. Best Wishes for a safe delivery. It is the best feeling in the World for you to finally meet your little Babe. I hope this happens for you soon :)

What a lovely room you and Morgan have created! I hope your little one arrives soon.

Marianne says:

What a sweet room. If you had told me it was gray I would have thought, yuck. But it really works and is decorated beautifully. I had a lot of fun back in 1989 (!) doing my daughter’s nursery, wallpapering, wall art, dust ruffle etc, but alas no quilts as I did not take up that hobby until 2 years later. You’re almost at the wire now, good luck with the delivery!!!

claudia moore says:

Ashley- The pictures of your nursery are delightful-Truly an inspiration- I’m sure you all can’t wait for the “little one” to arrive- I hope things go well and wish that i was able to be there on Shep 5 to help out once you deliver- but i’ll just have to wait and get the details from your Mom. Best Wishes for a safe delivery and healthy baby! Claudia

Jen Eskridge says:

Good luck! I went right past 40 weeks with all 3 of my kids. That pear panel is the best!

Wendi says:

His room is just BEAUTIFUL!!! He will be so happy there! And you know, he has to come out SOMEtime!!! Blessings on his birth.

Tracy says:

Lovely nursery! I pray blessings over you and your baby. I hope you get to meet him soon! Thanks for sharing all your lovely creations with us!

Hello, As a relatively new mum, just wanted to wish you the best of luck and say the nursery is totally gorgeous! Love the bookcase and the fish mobile particularly but also love that it’s so update-able so as you acquire new things (which believe me, you will do!) you can change things around. Will await the next update to meet the owner of this lovely space :)

What a beautiful, creative and serene space you’ve created! Filled to the brim with such lovely touches. That mobile is amazing! And that shelf!! Sending you wishes for an easy delivery! Can’t wait to e-meet your little guy.

Jennifer says:

Oh I can’t wait to see that little fella all wrapped up in that quilt in that adorable little bed!! Come on little fella!! We’re waiting for you! Jenn

Jennifer says:

What a great nursery! I love the pear and the colors. Is that a giraffe on the floor between the crib and the bookcase? Whatever it is, it looks very cool… Where did you find it?

Mary Margaret says:

The nursery is wonderful! I hope you have safe and easy delivery. Can’t wait to see him bundled in one of his beautiful quilts!

Chas says:

What a wonderful nursery! You put so much thought into it! Have a safe and easy delivery!

Jeane says:

What a wonderful baby’s room. I hope your baby arrives soon so you can cuddle him in the beautiful rocker.

91. Pingback: FITF: the manly baby quilt | Film in the Fridge

Lisa M says:

Love the room…it’s completely beautiful! My 5 kids are all grown up and it almost makes me wish I was doing what you are doing!…almost. :) Where did you get the Flensted mobile? I would love to get one for my daughter who is expecting her first baby in the next few weeks.

Cristin says:

Its a fabulous nursery! I ADORE the crib sheet made from (is it Alexander Henry?) frogs! Too fun! Love the grey walls to boot! Little man will love it too… and that stack of quilts on the shelf: I’m drooling all over!

Tyra says:

What a beautiful nursery! I love it! Best wishes on this last exciting stage of pregnancy. he’s almost here!

Kate says:

Wait! You totally skipped over those little birds at the baseboard! How cute are they????

Congrats on finishing a very cute nursery — hope he moves in soon!

96. Pingback: FITF: a mobile out of fabric scraps | Film in the Fridge

Teresa P says:

Hi Ashley,

I’ve been looking for a glider and love the one you have. If you’re not too busy, could I get the info on it.

Also, I’m catching up on months of blog backlog and wanted to say a huge “congrats” on baby Max!

Thanks!