pretty voile blankets

One thing I’ve really been enjoying making is baby blankets. My absolute favorites are these made from fabulous Anna Maria Horner voiles and flannels. Truly a perfect match!

I’ve actually wanted to try these out ever since Anna Maria posted about them here, but at that time, I had no reason to make tiny little blankets. So of course, as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I returned to her post to drool over these blankets.

I made the first three a couple months ago, before we knew it would be a boy, and as it turns out, there are a couple which may just be the wrong colors for what we need (oops!). I decided to remedy that this weekend, stopping over at Nido for a couple extra yards of voile in blues and greens.

My favorite so far might be this blue one, using one of the new voile prints paired with this great solid blue flannel. [The flannel is by Robert Kaufman (purchased at Purl Soho) and is quite possibly the nicest solid flannel I've felt in quite some time (and it comes in lots of great colors!)]

I really can’t say enough about this voile/flannel combo – it’s soft on one side, silky on the other, and has a really great weight. I can’t help but think I need to piece together some voile and flannels to make one in my size!

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to pretty voile blankets

Catherine says:

I made a couple of these for our now 2-week-old son. They are wonderful for swaddling. So cozy! I love your blue one…

Amy says:

Those are beautiful! Preparing for a baby is just the best, isn’t it?

Those are lovely! I have some voile hiding out in my fabric cabinet. I just need to find some flannel to match. Hmmm…

Andie says:

These would make a great gift, too. A coordinated set of 3 maybe? So cute!

Kar says:

They are gorgeous! They sound like they would be great as a big blanket for yourself. :)

jessica says:

I made a bunch of these too. This was actually one of my first sewing projects, ever. Check out my wonky binding! I’m so envious of your perfect top stitching. I just couldn’t make it work with the machine blindstiching it all by hand.

Emily c says:

These are so so beautiful! I think her voile litte folks will always be my favorite fabrics

elsa says:

so lovely! your little baby be will be so spoiled with all you’re going to be sewing!

Sheila says:

I love them! I have some flannel on the shelf…I should run out and get some voile for the other side! How big did you make yours?

Beth says:

These would be perfect for my sister (she is due early february). So cute and comfy. Your baby is sure to be cozy :)

This is one of my fav projects from Anna too. So easy, yet such a smart use of fabric.

Sophia says:

ok, maybe a dumb question. I know you put the two pieces, wrong side together, baste the edges, then put on the binding. Don’t the two fabrics slide on each other?? On a quilt, you quilt the sandwich together, nothing comes apart. Is there a step I am missing? My best buddy is having a girl, and I would love to make a couple special receiving blankets…
    Sophia
    p.s. congrats on the pregnancy Ashley!!! :-)

Dolores says:

I’d say when your wee boy is too big for these blankets stitch them together for yourself!;)

Jenny says:

These are gorgeous! What a great idea to pair those two fabrics. What did you use for binding?

Jenny says:

Oh, nevermind, I went to AMH link that you provided.

Ana says:

Your colours are lovely.
    Did you really only use the flannel and voile? No wadding in between? I think I would put a light wadding in the middle to make them a bit cosier.

Jeanne says:

Those are lovely! As my 10yr old son would say… “Pink is the new man’s color!”.

Lindsay says:

Ive always wanted to give the voile a try. It looks so wonderful.

CJ says:

Those are gorgeous! Don’t be afraid to use pinks for your boy, though! My two boys have some pink items and like them very much. My 5 year old recently explained to my mom that “pink is just red with some white mixed in.”

Terri says:

oh so pretty! I would love to be able to snuggle under one of these super soft blankies too. I love the voile/flannel combination. I’m with you – that blue one is my favorite too.

Nikki says:

Oooooo! I want for me too, they look gorgeous! I’ve got some of the grey/Maybe in sixpence on it’s way, can’t wait for it too arrive.

Mary Margaret says:

Yummy blankets! i have a friend having a baby boy in January…I think you’ve inspired the perfect gift! Thanks!

Colleen says:

Thanks for reminding about these blankets. I have a friend expecting in April and these would be perfect!

Emily S says:

These are wonderful – I fell in love with them when they were featured on her blog as well. I think I definitely need to make an adult sized one! I was wondering about what you did for the binding as well….

Louise Charbonneau says:

It looks like you’ve started to nest. The little blankets are beautiful. You will love having a baby boy, and grown son. We have one child, a 12-year old boy. You will find that your son will be a wonderfully sweet companion, fully supportive of your nurturing craft. I made my first quilt (a traditional Provence “vanne”; I’m French) when my son was 10-month old. Enjoy the moment Ashley.

WendyLou says:

I have loved making this type of blanket for over 12 years now. I received one as a gift from my sister’s MIL and copied it immediately! One yard of super snuggly flannel + one yard of fun cotton print = One great baby blanket :) Since they’re just a bit bigger than traditional receiving blankets, they are perfect for swaddling a 2 – 3 month old. They also make superb play blankets and help protect my rugs and carpets from baby urp. All of my babies have outgrown mine :( But maybe the next batch of kiddos will be small enough :)

Nothing sweeter than a new baby in the house! Love the blankets! Congratulations!

anna says:

just simply beautiful. They look so cozy and they’ll make great swaddlers!

Robin says:

These are wonderful (as is all of your work)!

I thought I knew what voile was … but I guess I don’t. I thought it was a very lightweight material that is sort of see-through and might take some special attention in the wash (AKA – delicate!).

So the questions: Did you pre-wash both fabrics before putting them together? And is voile indeed semi-transparent?

Thanks!!!!

Laura C says:

I’m a long-time lurker, but not sure I have ever commented. I love “girly” colors for boys, too, and I hope you’re going to keep the red-pinky-purple ones and still use them for your son, they’re beautiful! My husband looks best in purple, a fact he’d never have known if his mama stuck to blue and green.

So I say keep ‘em all, and see if pinky-purple is your boy’s “color” too :)

I love love these little blankies. I have been eying AMH’s flannels for a while to make little (or big) blankets and now you’ve inspired me to get on it! Congrats on the little boy and I hope that all goes well.

Tina says:

Ooooh! These look silky smooth! I’ve got to get me some of that fabric!

Nicole B. says:

Ashley, What size did you make these? They are adorable!

Jenna says:

Don’t worry about having “girly” blankets, it’s better to coordinate with YOUR outfit, right?? : )

erica says:

Adorable! They do look super soft and cozy…thanks for sharing!

Helen White says:

Fun for all the little tykes. Keep in car for winter.
    Thanks.

finally making some of these today. Yours are gorgeous! Happy thanksgiving.