a munki munki starburst quilt

I’m waiting for backing for my first starburst quilt, and while I wait, I decided to make up another in a different color palette. While the first is bright and bold, this one is a bit softer, with more pastel colors. I used a selection of Heather Ross prints, a bunch of prints from my munki munki collection, and a few coordinating basics.

As with the first, this one contains 16 blocks, arranged 4 blocks by 4 blocks. I think I burn out after about 12 of these blocks, then I push myself to make a few more to make the quilt large enough. You definitely won’t find me making one any larger than this!

I’m looking forward to seeing this quilted. I’m still debating about how to quilt it – I’m a little concerned about quilting over the section where the points all come together… it’s a bit lumpy!

(If you’re trying out the starburst tutorial, you might want to play around with the direction you iron the seams – I ironed mine open, but I probably should have tested ironing the seams in alternating directions.)

In other news, some of you might have noticed my updated blog design (if you’re reading this through a reader, click through to check out the new design!). My sister, who hates change, urged me to keep it as it was, but I’m hoping that these new changes will make it easier to find some of my older projects. You can now find tabs along the top for tutorials, quilts, clothing & household goods. At the moment, quilts can be sorted by most recent, type, or most commented.

In the future, these changes will hopefully speed up the site, loading images faster (not in place yet, but hopefully soon!). I’ve had a few problems with images overlapping for people with smaller screen resolutions, so this new design should help with that.

I hope you’ll like these new changes, but of course if you find things that aren’t working correctly, do let me know!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to a munki munki starburst quilt

Kaelin says:

This is lovely! I have a ton of Heather Ross scraps and I’ve been looking for the perfect project to showcase them…I think this might be it!

Molly says:

This quilt is so colorful and happy! I love the new look and feel of your site. Very uncluttered and friendly :)

Jeni says:

It’s beautiful! I love the colors and mix of fabrics, very cute!

Carla says:

I love the style, fabrics and colors you used to create this lovely. Another quilt to add to my bucket list :D

I love the second one as much as the first! how big do they measure?
    I love the new look of your site, not only is it organized so neatly…but I can see everything properly on my iPad now (which is what I tend to use when reading up on my favorite blogs). I also like the subtle color scheme you chose, very eye pleasing.

Jodi says:

It’s beautiful, and thanks for the tip about ironing seams.

kerri says:

what a fun and cheery quilt, ashley!! LOVE it!!

Sarah M says:

As a regular reader, I like your website changes. Loaded up super fast today – it’s been much slower in the past. I’ve also had the overlapping problem, so thanks for the improvements. I also like the new organization. You’ve given me loads of inspiration for using up smaller pieces of fabric. I can’t wait to try your starburst tutorial!

whitney says:

okay, okay, so i like the new layout. very clean and nicely organized. it even got me to look back through the years and reminisce over some of my favorite of your projects.

although, the fitf up at the top looks a little more like a symbol (kinda reminded me of “the net” where if they saw some funky dude and clicked on it they’d enter into a hacker’s world). but that’s just me.

pretty, pretty quilt!

Sonia B says:

How about spiral quilting . . . out from the center of each block, maybe even cutting off at the edges of the block . . . or even overlapping a bit. It’s gorgeous.

Love the new blog design . . . certainly “arranged” itself better on my screen. Thanks for all your inspiration.

I really like the new design. No more overlapping. Yippee!!
    and the quilt is super cute!

kelly jo says:

Loving this quilt! Very cute! Elizabeth from Oh, Fransson! had an awesome tutorial on quilting loopy flowers here http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2010/06/machine-quilting-loopy-flowers.html you could do a flower per block and make the circle part of the inside of the flower go around the area where the seams join, that way you wouldn’t have to quilt over it!

Jessica says:

I really like your new layout. It definitely makes everything more accessible. Really great website and super easy to use!

Alexis says:

The quilt is darling and I like the new site design!

Erica says:

So beautiful! I am so jealous of your Munki Munki stash!

I really like your new blog design, it’s much easier for me to view. And the quilt is delicious!

Amanda S. says:

Gorgeous!! I would totally spiral out from the center of each starburst — I’m sure whatever pattern you do it will be a fabulous quilt when it is finished!! :)

Colleen says:

Love this bright, cheery quilt :) I also like your new designed blog :) Change is good!

I love the new layout! No more over lapping!

shelia says:

I love this one. Its my favorite of the two~!

Beautiful!! :D I think it turned out so pretty!! :D I definitely want to try and make this!

Kat says:

I really really like the new page design, all of your tutorials at one click, and the pics of your projects at the bottom. Good stuff.

I love your quilts! I have been stopping by your blog very frequently for some time now, and I am always impressed with your creations! They are so fresh and lively! You actually inspired me to get back into quilting, and last Fall I made a quilt top…still needs to work on the batting and backing and quilting of course!!

Nova says:

LOVE the new look of your site Ashley.
    Your starburst quilts are just fab!
    x

Missyintx says:

Yea!! No more overlap. I am thrilled and really like the new design. Thank you.

Mary Margaret says:

I like this one even more than the first! The new layout is great!

Theresa says:

Love this starburst and love your new site too. I found it really fabulous to navigate around….well done!

Viv says:

It is a lovely colourful quilt, can’t wait to see it finished.

The new blog design is fantastic !! So easy to find tutorials and I love the quilts pages. Showcases everything wonderfully.

Lisa says:

oh … and don’t forget room for advertisers !

emily says:

I agree with KellyJo, loopy flowers would be awesome on this quilt, and it would solve your delemma of the points being so bulky.

Love the new layout, yes it works on my screen (the other layout didn’t) And… this layout encouraged me to look around a bit thus finding the tutorial on making french seamed pillowcases! I just made a pillowcase but this tutorial is definately superiour to the one I used! :)

If possible I like number 2 even better than number 1. They are both so pretty and vibrant!

The brown pieces seem to make my eye travel all over the quilt – I think it really works well with all of the beautiful colors, it is nice to have a place for my eye to jump off from.

NorahS says:

New blog design is MUCH better! The quilt is darling!

Kate Conklin says:

The quilt looks terrific. I need to find a design for my stash too. The new blog layout is great. No more overlapping, so I can read everything. It must have taken you ages! It was fun having a look over your old quilts.

Terri says:

I love these starburst quilts! I agree with Miss White Wall, I think I even like this one better, though they are both awesome. Definitely have to try this myself!

Please tell me how to get started. Your quilts are so beautiful and I want to make one so bad. What is a good pattern to get with? I so need your help and I have a lot of scaps. Janet

Lynda says:

I love the bright colors. Your starburst quilts are beautiful!

RoseyPosey says:

Love the new layout, I come here often & this will make it much more fun!

Chris says:

Thanks for the redesign! I was experiencing the overlapping on my laptop and this is much clearer. I also love how much info you’ve managed to squeeze in and organize on the main page. Lots of great resources and links!

One idea for quilting those blocks is to start in the join (center seam bunch) and spiral out in circles. That way, you’re immediately leaving that tricky seam bunch and won’t have to quilt back over it. Hope this explanation makes sense!

As always, I LOVE your color choices!

Katie says:

I really like the complexity of the quilt, yet still being able to see such a large amount of each of the fabrics! Looks beautiful!

euphoria says:

WOW- I love love love this… gorgeous!

Em says:

I love the wonkiness of the quilt yet it looks to be symmetrical up close. I love that I have used so many of the fabrics in my own quilts because it feels like a connection to my quilting peers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the design… And color choice. As usual – great inspiration!

46. Pingback: ready for the weekend… | Film in the Fridge