two new shirts!

I’ve been talking about wanting to make a few spring clothing items, and finally got my chance this weekend.

two-shirts

This pattern is the Shearwater Kaftan by Toni Coward, which I purchased from Randi at Fresh Squeezed Fabrics. I’m always hesitant to purchase patterns, because I don’t think I’ve ever really managed to follow one all the way through. Not the case here — I think this pattern is great! It’s well written, and the shirt comes together pretty quickly and easily.

In my attempt to really do it right this time, I first made one using some bleached muslin I had on hand to check the sizing. Surprisingly enough, I didn’t have to change a thing, and I ended up liking it in the white so I finished it with a little bias binding in Anna Maria Horner’s voile around the neck and along the bottom hem.

muslin-shirt

I liked it enough that I even wore it to a family gathering this weekend. My uncle said it had a ‘south of the border’ look, which I’m thinking may not have been a compliment. But no matter, I quite like it and I think it will get a lot of use this summer!

nani-iro-shirt

I made up the ‘real’ version in this lovely Nani Iro double gauze which I’ve been saving for something special. It also happens to be the same fabric used in the pattern photo. It’s lightweight and airy and I can’t wait to head to the beach wearing it! (and of course I’m planning a third out of some Little Folks fabric!)

two-shirts2

Unfortunately I didn’t finish them in time to enter them in Rae‘s Spring Top week, but that’s probably good. Have you seen the entries in the Flickr pool? Amazing! As a judge I got a chance to score a bunch of them, and wow, it was hard! So many fabulous tops! Voting starts today, so head over there each day this week to vote for your favorite!

___

Also…

If you haven’t already heard, Kathy at Pink Chalk Fabrics is celebrating 2 years and has a lot of great fabrics on sale for great prices!

Check back tomorrow for the start of a giveaway for some of Laurie Wisbrun’s new Tufted Tweets!

___

This entry was posted in Clothing. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to two new shirts!

WHATUPDUCK says:

Those look amazingly easy too! I will head on over and vote now. Thanks!

SewLindaAnn says:

Great shirts. Would you mind letting me know the maker and name of the double gauze? Is it difficult to work with for a person just trying to make clothes?

Rose says:

That is EXACTLY the style of top I have wanted to make yet haven’t been able to find a pattern for! I purchased some AMH Little Folks voile and can’t wait to use it now.

Annalia says:

I’m glad you finished your Spring Tops! They look great.

Jan says:

I like ‘em. They’re my kind of summer top.

Carla says:

I just love your tops….the crocheted hangers aren’t too shabby either…….did you make them as well?!

sharonj says:

Great shirts! Nice pattern and look really comfortable! Now off to see if I can find the pattern! Sharon

Liz says:

How funny, my copy of that pattern and fabric both came in todays mail. I’m going to make 2, one with Little Folks Voile and 1 with Heather Bailey Far Far away (not sure about pre-washing that one though, any insight?) I love your muslin version too. I’m thinking I might do that as well before I cut into the good stuff.

Laurel H. says:

The “south-of-the-border” look indeed! Just decide that it was meant as a compliment :) But those shirts look GREAT, Ashley. Nicely done!

CitricSugar says:

So cute!! Don’t you love it when your tester comes out perfectly?

Munaiba says:

Ashley they’re lovely. What a great pattern.

Erin Wilson says:

These are beautiful! I’ve been meaning to try a similar pattern, and you may just have nudged me over the edge.

Toni Coward says:

Awww…I’m blushing Ashley!
    I love your blog and was excited to see you had made my Shearwater Kaftan :)
    Thanks for sharing your pics…I’ve got a plain white one too and love it.
    Toni :)

Sarah C. says:

Gosh, I wish you hadn’t told me about Pink Chalk Fabrics! I now have a new addiction….. But she has lovely fabrics, and what a great sale!!! So I guess I owe you a vote of thanks!

Terri says:

That is a silly comment because these tops are so IN now! I bought that same pattern, but haven’t had time to try it yet. Happy to hear it’s an easy one. Where did you find that fabric? I wanted to use the same fabric featured on the pattern photo. Love the bias binding which you can use to really customize for different colors.

Nancy says:

These are just gorgeous. I adore the double gauze Nani Iro shirt in particular

Jenn says:

Love these! Hmm, I may have to dust off my sewing machine

Megan says:

Love the Iro! I’m trying to cut into some of mine for a summer shirt but so afraid I won’t wear it. So happy to hear yours turned out so well. would love to see a picture of you in it!

Ana says:

They’re lovely tops. I have been wanting to make a Shearwater kaftan ever since I saw the pattern a couple of weeks ago. Thanks so much for telling us where the print fabric comes from – I have been scouring Etsy for it, but couldn’t find out what it was. Now at least I have a clue…

Sarah M says:

I love this in the Nani Iro fabric. And the muslin looks great for a beach cover up – I think I’ll try it & add some length.

love, love, love them, especially the double gauze one!! They do look really soft and flowy…a perfect combo for a beach shirt!!

I LOVE this style of shirt, and your fabric choices are great. I love the white one with the spring green binding from AMH. I’ve gotta make me one of those!

holly k says:

wow…those are great shirts!! thanks for sharing..I feel inspired to get busy and sew sew sew!!!! :)

rachelmp says:

I test sew for Toni, and it’s a great pattern. I love your white version too. Very versitile

Mary says:

These are two great tops and a real inspiration! I’m waiting for some AMH little folks to arrive before the weekend to whip up a nice lightweight tunic. Not the same pattern as these two tops, but somewhat similar. Nice, lightweight, and not clingy – perfect for a steamy FL summer.

26. Pingback: two new shirts, take 2 – Film in the Fridge

Ana says:

Hi Ashley. Your tops are lovely and I would really like to get this pattern and make some for myself. I have a pattern very similar to this and I made up a muslin of it yesterday but I had a few problems, one of which was that it didn’t seem to take account of the existence of my bust at all! How have you found the Shearwater pattern? It would be really useful to have some info on this as I don’t want to fork out for another pattern that I won’t be able to wear. (I want to post about it later, so have a look at my blog maybe).

joan degagne says:

where can I purchase the shear craftan shirt pattern Just love it.

29. Pingback: FITF: spring shirts? | Film in the Fridge