hooked on hexagons

I knew I would be. I don’t know why I put it off for so long.

hexagons6

So I caught the hexagon bug, and badly (and it seems I’m not the only one!).

hexagons

It started innocently enough – I just figured I’d try one or two to see what the fuss was about. I always loved looking at all the beautiful hexagon projects on Flickr, and in my mind I knew that it was something I’d eventually get around to trying, but I had convinced myself that I didn’t like handsewing and consequently wouldn’t like these.

hexagons3

So anyway, needing a bit of entertainment (and a little fabric fix while I was going to be away from my machine) I cut up a bunch of fabric and took it with me to California. And now I can’t stop – I’m working on hexagons in a few sizes, flea market fancy hexagons, and hexagons to match a quilt… plus, (not pictured) hexagons in Echino and also Little Folks voile!

hexagons4

I don’t know what they’ll turn into, if anything, but they sure are fun to make. If you haven’t tried them yet, you might want to! Below are a few posts I looked at before starting -

The Sometimes Crafter – two posts about sewing hexagons here and here.

Posie Gets Cozy – Hexagon Piecing

Here you can print out your desired size hexagon templates (or you can purchase them already cut here).

And lastly, in the right sidebar on this page, you’ll see a listing of what size squares of fabric you’ll need for the various hexagon sizes. (I think this is what convinced me to start making these – the realization that I could just cut out squares of fabric rather than having to cut out hexagonal shapes!)

hexagons5

But don’t say I didn’t warn you!

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to hooked on hexagons

Amber says:

Got my paper pieces in the mail on Saturday – just need to cut out some squares and I’ll join you :-)

Natalie says:

ooooh ooohh…. I *really* don’t need another project right now… but I have lots of fabric scraps and love hexagons…. thanks for the links!

nicolette says:

Ohhh yeah, it’s addictive and I love it! Your photos are wonderful!

Lori says:

OH yes, I love making these!

Random question– what is your favorite quilt batting?

Alissa says:

Right?? My addiction is only growing… love the ocean photos!

Erin says:

It is so addicting! I have a pile of about 50 hex’s that I’ve got not idea what to do with …. but the little pile keeps growing and growing. Love to do it in the car when waiting in the preschool pick-up line!

Janice says:

OOOooo they look so pretty! Isn’t it fun to just play with them and figure out different configuations? I made a bunch back in October, but I haven’t done anymore since then. I figure I’ll just keep adding to the pile over the years and it will be a lovely way to see all the fabrics I have owned.
    I was bummed when I heard you were at the the LAMQG meeting last Monday and I missed it! (I was out of town). I hope you had a great time!

anina says:

I love your photos!
    A little tip, if you’re interested. You don’t have to baste through both the fabric and the paper. If you only baste through the back, you won’t have to unpick basting stitches later.
    Have fun! These are very addictive.

Keriann says:

they truly are addicting! I recently decided to put my fears aside as well and go for it….I’m having a blast!

Crystal says:

Beautiful hexes! I love the teal/green/gray theme the best! I worked on some this weekend and it was a nice break from the sewing machine. I can’t wait to see what you do with these…although just keeping them to look at and pile up is a great option too. :)

Tammy says:

I’ve loved working on my hexagons. Started them in January when I found out I was going to be in the car 12+ hours over a couple of days. Still haven’t decided what I’m going to make from mine, but I keep working away, hoping inspiration strikes at some point.

I bought a couple packages of plastic hex shapes (can’t remember the manufactuer’s name) so they will never wear out. Although the fabric always seems to slip a little as you work your way around the hex. That’s the only thing I don’t like about them…Hope you had a great time here in California.

Audrie says:

I’m very afraid to try hexagons because I know I’ll be addicted. But I might be travelling to Singapore and Australia this year so this would be the perfect thing to take with me. Your hexes look so pretty all strung up.

Sandra says:

I have the same ideas about hexagon as you had before now…Love the beautiful pictures!

Raven says:

No way!!! The only thing I accomplished this weekend was sewing some hexes(sp?) onto some old overalls of my son’s. I sewed some Heather Ross on to make them a little more girly. I totally had your “Scattering of Hexagons” in my head when I did it! So funny!

I sent them to your Flickr group, even though it’s not a quilt…… :)

Amy says:

You know, I bought some precut hexes at Keepsake Quilting in their 1930′s prints and I just baste them without paper. I’m still not clear why you’d need paper to baste if the fabric is already in a hex shape. What am I missing?

Kirsten says:

It is a crazy obsession . . .

Kyla says:

Well i guess that this is just one of the obsession branches off of quilting…..it all starting with sewing then with quilts and just went down hill from there. Don’t worry im sure there is a 12 step program..haha i love them! They are so cute and if your making this many im sure there fun to make. Ya you never really have done any hand sewing have you…acually i think i recall a few times at the dock where you were venting about your hate towards it but look you learned to enjoy it.

manuela says:

Oh, welcome to the club! Your photos are absolutely beautiful!

Laura says:

So much fun! There is a woman in my guild who seems to ONLY make things from hexagons. She does make beautiful quilts though!

Terri says:

Love these! How fun to use these as a take-along project. I have been eyeing the hexagons for several months too, but haven’t broken down to try any yet. Someday.

I have a feeling I could get very hooked on hexagons, too. Like you, I’ve been putting it off. One of these days….

Cindra says:

uh, oh…. I feel an addiction coming on! Thank you for all the wonderful links!

Amber H. says:

Ashley, I came across your blog a few days ago -forgot how but I think it had to do with searching for some tutorial- and you got me hooked and wanting to actually use my short arm quilting machine and quilting frame! I’m in the process of designing a quilt combining string qilting squares and log cabin squares that aren’t quite centered.

Your blog has been such an inspiration and I’ve spent the last two nights reading all 68 pages of your blog!

PS I think hexagons are cute too! But I need tto finish my test quilt/mockup before I try YET another technique!

turtlewon says:

Silly us back here in New England – we actually thought you were on vacation!
    Can’t wait to see what becomes of all those beach-loving hexagons!

Melanie says:

I didn’t believe you. I couldn’t figure out what the fuss was about, so I tried it. I made 48 last night in one sitting! Your photos are beautiful. Thank you for the inspiration and new addiction!

Rene' says:

Great hexagons, but I really love the photography!

Sarah M says:

I got a little hooked on yo-yos in the same way, but I really like the hexes. This will be my project for the next road trip! Does anyone happen to know the paper hex size for a 5″x5″ fabric square? I have a few charm packs I’d like to use for this.

Lisa says:

Have you see Inklingo? You need to check it out if you are doing hexagons.

Carol M says:

love the pictures. once again you have inspired me to try something new!!! Cutting out hexagon paper right now!!!!

Andrea says:

Ok, you warned, I didn’t listen and now I’m addicted to making these little buggers! They are the perfect vegging out on the sofa watching tv craft…now what to do with all of them! Thanks for the great links, photos, and hexagonal inspiration!

Anika says:

Hello!
    Wow, apparently your time in California has been very productive (since we´ve met at the airport on your way to California)!
    Loved you work!

34. Pingback: flea market fancy hexagon giveaway – Film in the Fridge

35. Pingback: Travel Sewing « Tangerine & Turquoise

This addictive hexagon piecing habit is way out of control. They’re everywhere. My husband is beginning to worry. I want to stop, but I can’t!