flannel for your head

flannel-pillowcase

My sister doesn’t sew, but she loves all things Anna Maria Horner. Apparently she’s also a very big fan of flannel pillowcases (who knew?!). So it was no surprise that when she found out that Anna Maria also had a line of flannel, she was totally sold. (Not to the point to learn how to sew up her own pillowcase, but sold enough to buy some so that I could make her a new pillowcase).

flannel-pillowcase2

She picked out this lovely print, and I added in a little pink trim for her (this is the Anna Maria solid pink voile, which matches this print perfectly). I’m pretty happy with this – not only is the flannel fabric super soft, and just perfect for a pillowcase – but it all came together really quickly and easily. I think I see one of these in my future…

flannel-pillowcase3

Oh, and Whit… Morgan seems pretty sold on this one and even tried to use it last night. You might want to stop over soon to pick it up!

Note: I didn’t use a pattern for this – just based it on a pillowcase we had here that I liked the size of. If there’s enough interest, I’d be happy to put together a tutorial.

This entry was posted in Household Goods and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to flannel for your head

Ryan says:

What a lucky sister you have! I’ve been eyeing the AMH voil and flannel for a while. Do you have a favorite pillow case pattern?

Ryan

whatupduck says:

Why haven’t I thought of this? Think I will make this my today project and run down to my favorite quilt shop for some fantastic flannel. A reason for new fabric ;-) Thanks for the idea!

Holly says:

Wow! So pretty! How awesome would a whole sheet set of this be! =)

Katie B says:

I’d love to see a tutorial, Ashley! I need to make some pillowcases to go with my son’s robot quilt.

Kim says:

I’d love to see a tutorial too! I have never made a pillowcase and I’d love to learn!

jaybird says:

nice! i just got some “love” flannel to make PJs & a pillowcase!

Lynda says:

How pretty to lay your head down on that at night. Consider me interested in a tutorial.

Wendy says:

That’s beautiful! I’d love it if you posted a tutorial…I’m not the best of stitchers, but I think I could handle a pillow case :)

Linda says:

Wow! How great is that?!?! Whitney is one lucky sister. When you said you might make some, I wondered what Morgan would think of a sort of “girly” print. He is a very secure man (and a great quilt holder-upper). Speaking of Morgan, when are we going to see a picture of his face, instead of just the tips of his fingers occasionallly? 8-)

Kristen says:

Ashley- Have you ever tried the “burrito” method? Here is a link to a tutorial: http://www.quiltedforest.com/other/Burrito_Pillow.pdf

I’ve been meaning to try this method. Supposedly it leaves all raw edges encased. Pretty neat!

Deb Joseph says:

Please do a tutorial!! They are beautiful.

Angie says:

Yes, tutorial please! I think I could figure out most of it, but the trim looks like it could be tricky…

Jay Smith says:

I would also love a tutorial! Especially the pink trim part–how professional looking!

Barb says:

Oh, yes, please, I’d love a tutorial. My kids both picked out some fabric last time I was at the LQS (they are both under 3) and I want to make them each a pillowcase. Thanks!

Erin says:

Ashley, I’d love a tutorial. I’ve got some flannel that’s begging for the Ashley treatment :)

wendy says:

I love the folksy flannel. It is really soft. I made a pillowcase recently with an online tutorial too!

Claire says:

OMG…I love it…the pink trim makes it a finished product that could be sold at stores!

Terri says:

We have four pillowcases in our house out of AMH fabrics. They’re so easy and quick to make. Love this flannel version!

ELizabeth says:

YES! Tutorial please! I’ve seen lots of tutes on plain pillow cases but I’m new to sewing and would love to know how to add the trim.

Casey says:

What a pretty pillowcase!!

Charity says:

I’m always up for a new tutorial!

CJ says:

I’d like to see a tutorial. The pattern I’ve used has the accent band facing the other way, and I like your better. Beautiful fabric!

Whitney says:

Oh, YAY! I love it! Turned out even better than I was expecting – I might have to go get another yard, and then you can do a second for your tutorial (aren’t I helpful?!).

Please tell me you kept it out of Morgan’s hands and from under his head? If I recall correctly, he has a bit of a drooling problem and I want no part of that! Perhaps I’ll have to stop over tonight, just in case…

Thank you so much!

Audrie says:

The print is just gorgeous! My MIL got us flannel sheets for Christmas and I’ve been looking for 2 more flannel pillowcases… I might just make some. Why didn’t I think of that before! LOL!

MaLisa says:

OH! You’ve totally just given me an idea!! That pillowcase is just fantastic and yes, I would LOVE to see a tutorial on this one!

Suzanne says:

Love the pillowcase — would really appreciate the tutorial!

Jen Gough says:

Would love a tutorial! Thanks!

Jenny says:

It’s adorable! Please do a tutorial! I’ve had fabric sitting in my closet for 6 months waiting to be made into pillowcases for my daughters to coordinate with their quilts. I’ve been too lazy to try to figure out how to do it myself…

Erica says:

YES PLEASE add a tutorial. http://www.allpeoplequilt.com is have a pillowcase-a thon for shelters, old folk homes and foster care kids in everyones area. They are trying to get as many pillowcases donated (in your local area) as possible. They are doing it for the whole year.
    But I must be retarded or something cause I just cannot understand there directions. They make it more complicated than it should be.

Liv says:

Ooh…please do post a tutorial! I love flannel pillow cases!

robbie says:

Tutorial, please! That would be incredible….

Sam says:

I need a tutorial. Pretty please! The trim is a really great touch.

julie Creus says:

yes! please do a tutorial!

Roseanne says:

yes please to a tutorial!!! love it and ALL your other work!

jill says:

fantastic! and I’d LOVE a tutorial!!

Jennifer says:

Oooh, I love flannel pillowcases! Nice work!

Jennifer :)

Sarah M says:

Your pillowcase is beautiful. I did the same thing last weekend for my daughter, using Heather Ross’s Mendocino fabrics (those cottons are just so soft). I started by using a tutorial, but kind of gave up and just followed a pillowcase that I pulled out of the linen closet. Very easy & worked perfectly. I may never buy another pillowcase again.

Ruth says:

ooo i’d love a tutorial!

abbie says:

Yes, pattern please! The pillowcase is so cute!

A says:

Yes please to a tutorial – it looks great.

jen c says:

ah, flannel. we start using the flannel sheets (and pillow cases!) in november and they stay on until at least april (darn no-spring newfoundland!). this fabric is beautiful – i’d love something this cheery to go to bed to!

Denise says:

You can’t see it but my hand is raised for a tutorial. Great looking pillowcase and the pink trim is perfect!

Elizabeth says:

Hello! I thought I’d chime in and say that I would love a tutorial. It’s dreamy!

Emily says:

i agree–tutorial please!

Anna says:

I would love to see a tutorial. I have tried making pillowcases, they turned out OK but are kind of skewed somehow. I guess I went wrong with the cutting?

Holly says:

I’d love to see a pillowcase tutorial! I’ve got some cute owl fabric just waiting to be made into a pillowcase for my daughter!

Ellen says:

I saw Whitney’s post. Aren’t sisters great? ;) I love doing pillow cases. I’ve been using them as “wrapping paper” for children’s gifts. Its always a great hit. Its just from a printout I got at Knits and Bolts but I do a fun way where you roll it up, stitch one side and pull it out through the “sausage.” It includes the trim too. I’m sure you would do a great tutorial but let me know if you want me to send you a copy of the way I learned.

51. Pingback: pretty quick pillowcase tutorial – Film in the Fridge

lua says:

Lovely pillowcase!!! I’d love to see a pillowcase tutorial, too!!

Kyla says:

So cute and im sure extremely soft!!! Whitney is a verrrry lucky sister! I hope she liked it. Too bad you can’t convince her to learnt o make one……i don’t see that happening in the near future.