jubilee

diamondjubilee

Finished! And it will be quite perfect for Spring, should it ever arrive! I’ve been waiting all week to get photos of 2 newly finished quilts, but it’s been all rain, rain, rain around here (good for the grass – look how green it is now! – but not so great for photos). Yesterday, even though they predicted more rain, we actually got a few sunny breaks, so I finally had a chance to quickly snap a few photos of this Liberty quilt.

diamondjubilee3

I’m really happy with how it turned out, though boy oh boy, can I just tell you how challenging this one was to quilt? I don’t think I’ve ever experienced anything like it. It’s partly problems with my trusty sewing machine (it’s definitely time to look into buying a replacement – I’ve been putting it off, but now that it’s making sewing a challenge, I think it’s time), and partly a problem with basting. I usually am a spray baster (tutorial here), though recently I’ve been using the 505 and then also pinning it (somehow the spray doesn’t seem to stick as well as it used to… ). The 505 doesn’t  stick to the smooth silky surface of the Liberty, or to the backing I used, so I had to just use pins. I don’t do it often enough, so I guess I didn’t get it taut enough. In any case, the straight lines I decided to use took an absolute eternity to quilt (and nearly caused me to call it a loss!). I’d quilt a line or two, then would have to stop to repin the remaining section.

diamondjubilee2

I’m glad I kept at it though, because a trip through the wash seems to have crinkled it up just enough to make me forget about all the challenges.

Anyway, enough about the problems. How about more about the quilt? As mentioned, the top is made up of all Liberty of London prints – some from my stash combined with a great bundle from Westwood Acres (ps. if you missed the first round of their Liberty monthly club, you have another chance – their second round is starting up in July and you can sign up here. As with other Liberty quilts I’ve made, I chose Quilters Dream request for batting, which is their lowest loft. It makes for a really wonderfully light and drapey quilt, especially paired with the Liberty.

diamondjubileeback

The backing is a lovely solid gray from Robert Kaufman’s Cambridge lawn collection. I usually go for voile for the back of a Liberty quilt, but I think I might like this lawn a bit better since it seems to have less of a sheen to it. I pieced in a little section of Liberty snippets to break up all that gray. The binding is a lilac colored voile – I tested all the solid voile colors I had and this was the best. I wasn’t initially sold on it, but now I really like it.

The quilt measures about 50″ x 60″, which is a great size for covering up on the couch. Once it gets a bit warmer, I’ll be putting this one to use!

A previous post about this quilt can be found here.

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to jubilee

Andrea says:

Your quilt is just beautiful – so fresh, so reminiscent of spring – it is just delightful! And your straight line quilting turned out beautifully, too!

Alice R. says:

What a perfect way to show off those valuable (and expensive!) Liberty fabrics. You can see and enjoy them, but don’t go broke!

Sarah Helene says:

DIAMONDS AND MORE DIAMONDS . . . Truly L-O-V-E-L-Y! Perfect for SPRINGTIME: Your design highlights florals alternating with pastel prints, all Liberty of London fine quality cottons. I like the “off center” look of the diamond motifs as well as the thinner white outlines separating each. Many many hours of work and VIOLA! An heirloom quality quilt to use now, then CHERISH & HAND DOWN TO CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN. BRAVO to your talents and creative design! Sarah in Minneapolis

Carla says:

Hi Ashley. Another lovely quilt. You amaze me. I find that 505 doesn’t always adhere to the sizing that’s on some fabrics. What I find helps is to spray the batting AND the back of the quilt top to act sort of like a contact cement when the two sticky sides meet : )

Allison says:

Oh my gosh. LOVE LOVE this one! Well done as usual.

Jenny Bonynge says:

Super cool! My stash of Liberty’s need to be sewn into a lovely quilt…especially with a “modern” theme. Thanks for sharing!

Margaret says:

what a beauty

Merel says:

I love to follow your blog from the Netherlands! I also love to use 505 for basting. I usually do it outside (more space) and when the air is too humid it does not work! Like just after the rain. Since you mention a lot of rain maybe the air is just too humid in your place.
    Greetings, Merel

Marion says:

Very lovely, just the right quilt for spring !! I couldn’t agree more -
    and I hardly dare to ask, will there be a tutorial one day ?? Would be
    highly appreciated.

Angela says:

Love this! Hope you plan to do a tutorial as well. What a lovely way to show off great fabrics that you don’t want to chop to bits.

Kathy says:

This is gorgeous.

dispack says:

Great quilt, but Ashley, do you ever curl up on the couch???? :)

13. Pingback: FITF: solid friendship quilt top | Film in the Fridge