faceted diamonds quilt

faceteddiamonds5

I took a little break during the holiday season and ignored my sewing machine/ongoing projects, but after Vermont was hit with an ice storm, I couldn’t resist grabbing a nearly finished quilt and heading out for a quick photo shoot. The ice was so beautiful and such a nice contrast to this bright and colorful string quilt, and I’m hoping we can call it finished, even though it’s shown here sans binding.

faceteddiamonds2

I made these blocks a while back just to see how they looked using rectangles rather than squares and then I set them aside for quite a while. When I came back to them I decided to play around with the layout and came up with this one. I’m pretty fond of it – I love that off-centered diamond and even the way the white strings don’t quite make a solid line (I think it gives it that faceted look – can we go with that?)

faceteddiamonds

The strings are a wide variety of fabrics – lots of colors and patterns! It’s fun to cast a glance at certain strings and remember what project they were originally used in.

faceteddiamondsback

I couldn’t decide how to quilt it and spent far too long just staring at it. In the end I decided to go with narrow straight lines through the middle diamond section, then I used straight lines on the diagonal on the four sides of the diamonds. It makes a fun secondary pattern where the lines cross. As much as I like the backing fabric, I kind of wish I had used a solid so you could see the quilting design!

faceteddiamonds3

After taking these photos I did eventually pick a binding and get it all bound and finished. You’d be surprised how long it took to pick a binding though! With all these colors and prints you’d think it would be a no brainer, but for some reason everything I pulled out seemed wrong. I finally went with the red Seedpod print from Denyse’s Florence line. I don’t think I’ve ever used red for a binding, and I quite like it! (You’ll have to take my word for it though – I haven’t gotten a photo of the fully finished quilt!)

faceteddiamonds4

And yes, it’s for sale! Want to buy it? You can find the listing here.

Previous posts about this quilt can be found here and here.

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] String Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to faceted diamonds quilt

Yes, it does look faceted. I concur ;) I imagine it’s beautiful with red binding. Love that last shot with the ice. Wow! So cold and yet so pretty.

Jen says:

A beautiful quilt, and even more beautiful photography. Just lovely :)

Annalia says:

Love it! That turned out amazing..and the backing is one of my favorites.

What a wonderful finish. I love the colors. The photos are perfect bringing in the color in the winter :-)

Cindy says:

Beautiful quilt! And it’s perfect for the scenes you shot! The ice does look cold but ohhh, so beautiful!

Anne says:

Very colorful and bold. I too like the off centered look and the broken white lines. Great photos too.

CJ says:

It’s a lovely quilt, I really like how the white lines aren’t quite solid. And as ever your photos are exquisite. You are in a league of your own when it comes to taking pictures! Beautiful. Wishing you and yours a very happy New Year Ashley.

Fran says:

What amazing photos, that is absolutely beautiful! Happy new year to you.

Lea says:

I love your string quilt! It’s gorgeous. The icy background is a perfect back drop for this awesome quilt.

Adrienne says:

This quilt is gorgeous, and such amazing photos!

DeborahGun says:

it is beautiful. And so is the snow! Happy new Year!

Amy says:

Ssso pretty & colourful contrasted with the icey background- Happy New Year !!!

Lynne says:

This quilt is a beaut! I bet the red binding looks great too. I can only imagine the ice and snow – amazing! It was 62 degrees here today. Happy New Year!
    Lynne

Meredithe says:

This is such a visually stunning quilt, and looks fab against the ice!

Marlo Raub says:

Makes me think of reflections. Mirrors. Beautiful.

17. Pingback: FITF: Jubilee! | Film in the Fridge