nani iro baby improv quilt

naniiroimprov2

What started out as a little experiment happily turned into a favorite new little quilt! I wanted to use some lovely Nani Iro double gauze fabrics, and decided to challenge myself to use up some Nani Iro scraps left over from a couple clothing projects – the burgundy floral and the pink gingham.

naniiroimprov4

I paired those two prints with some aqua voile left over from another shirt I had made and added in a few other aqua solids in order to have enough for the background.

naniiroimprov

I turned to my Quilts of Gee’s Bend book for some inspiration and came across a wonderful quilt by Annie Mae Young (you can see a photo of it in my previous post about this quilt).

naniiroimprov5

As I mentioned in that post, I even decided to hand quilt it – a first for me! I opted for a simple solid backing in Cotton Couture Stone, and used Quilter’s Dream Request batting (their lowest loft, and quite nice for hand quilting!). I drew out a simple crosshatch pattern and spent several evenings on the couch hand quilting. I’m certainly a novice in that area, so don’t look too closely at those stitches!, but I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed spending the time sewing this one by hand. And I do love how those stitches look! I used an aqua pearl cotton, which was part of an Anna Maria Horner box collection.

naniiroimprov3

(Max tested it out for me, but really it’s destined for the baby!)

I was a bit apprehensive about throwing it in the wash, but it came out with all the stitching still in place (yay!), and it’s truly the softest quilt I’ve ever made. The double gauze, voile, lightweight batting, and hand stitching makes a great combo!

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to nani iro baby improv quilt

Jenny says:

It’s beautiful. The stitching is so lovely.

Carla says:

It’s lovely. Good for you for challenging yourself ; )

Franziska says:

Looks like I have to try handquilting a quilt as I like the look of the quilting on this quilt.

I’m sure your quilt is just beautiful, but oh, your little man – he is growing up so quickly, makes me feel sad, so I can imagine how you feel!
    Hugs – Lurline.

Cindy says:

I love the colors of this little quilt! Your hand stitching is beautiful and looks like something I really need to try. Max is too adorable and he really is growing up quickly!:)

Tricia L. says:

The hand quilting is gorgeous! I really, really want to try this on a project. Any tips?

Daniela says:

I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical of the fabric choices when I first saw this come together. However, I LOVE IT! What a great color combo for a girly quilt and the choice to hand quilt, simple exquisite! I am inspired, as usual, by your posts, just may have to try this hand quilting myself this summer.

Lisa says:

Lovely! Can’t imagine hand-quilting something, but the look is precious. Lucky baby!

Coastal gray says:

Such a brave idea, and great result… Your stitching is great. Did you use a hoop?

Christine Sherman says:

This looks great, your stitching is perfect!

I love this quilt! the hand quilting suits it well. i was feeling a little gee’s bend-y too today!

kelly says:

i love it. it’s so organic!

Claire Jain says:

So cute! I love the idea of working with some non-quilting cottons :-)

KMarie says:

Your hand stitching looks amazing! I love how the aqua color thread really pops on the dark fabric.

Bee says:

The colors are so beautiful together. I love the aqua and must get some for my fabric stash :)Your hand quilting is so awesome! The stitches look so perfect. I never thought of using color pearl thread. Its awesome.

Ericka says:

I love this quilt. So simple and beautiful. The hand quilting is just the right finish.

How fantastic! thanks for sharing your experience also washing these delicate fabrics.

Kate Conklin says:

Beautiful quilt! And the hand quilting really adds to it – the stitches look lovely.

Sue Westmoreland says:

I love this quilt so much and would love it if you would share what your teal voile fabric is. Is it an Anna Marie Horner voile? If so, can you remember if it’s the seafoam color or is it the more powder blue of her colors? I just love your color combinations in this quilt. Can’t stop gazing it it!

22. Pingback: 14 don’t-miss posts of 2013 | Imagine Gnats