Wiksten tops made out of rayon

rayontova

I’ve been curious about Anna Maria’s rayon challis since she first mentioned it on her blog. I had never sewn with rayon, so I hesitated buying any, but finally curiosity won over and I added a bit to a recent order from Hawthorne Threads. And I’m so glad I did! Have you felt this stuff yet? You need to! It’s soft and silky, yet still substantial, and it has such a beautiful drape.

rayontova2

Since I’m running out of shirts that fit, I decided to make another Wiksten Tova. I went up a size, and while it’s currently a tad on the large size, I’m quite certain it won’t be long before it fits perfectly.

rayontanks

I quickly ordered a couple more of the prints and used them for a couple Wiksten tanks, another pattern that I find is working well for early maternity wear. I’ve been pairing a tank with an open cardigan, and find it to be my most comfortable outfit these days (so comfortable in fact, that I’ve actually made up a total of five new tanks so I could wear them every day!). The ones made of the rayon are by far my favorite. The best part? I can wear it all day long and it still looks just as smooth and wrinkle-free as when I first put it on. Even better? I’ve found that even if it should happen to remain in the dryer for days (oops!), it still comes out looking good. Now that’s my kind of fabric!

Oh, and I should mention that it’s pretty easy to sew with as well. I used a walking foot and had no trouble with it at all. It’s a bit harder to cut while tracing a pattern since it’s more fluid and more shifty than regular cotton, but certainly not a deal breaker for me.

But don’t take it from me – check out Anna Maria’s blog, where she wrote much more about her rayon challis fabrics here and here.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Wiksten tops made out of rayon

mjb says:

I was drooling over this fabric last week! But I need to sew up some of the stash I already have earmarked for clothes before I buy more, for sure.

Sybil says:

I used to make all of my clothes when I was working. I love Rayon Challis. It has the best drape.

rosa says:

Love your stunning Tova.Great job!!

Jennifer Robertson says:

I for one am happy to see challis making a comeback. It was a very popular fabric in all the sewing stores in the late 80s-mid 90s and then all of a sudden it went away. I had so many tops, skirts, and dresses made of this fabric. It gives you that fluid look without having to use the polyester silky fabrics that are so hard to sew with. Again, makes me smile that you are glad you discovered it. Happy sewing!

CC says:

Your tova and singlets look great. Love the fabrics. I think I first came across the Wiksten Tova pattern on your blog and subsequently bought the pattern. I hadn’t done any sewing for myself before but I am up to my fourth tova now with plans to make more. So easy to wear. I can imagine they’d make good maternity wear.

Lisa C says:

Great job! The fabrics are really pretty and obviously different from what you find in the stores.

Meg says:

Beautiful tops! I love that designers are offering substrate choices now.

Allie says:

These are beautiful! Is there a pattern you would suggest to someone who hasn’t made clothes before?

Mary says:

I LOVE AMH rayon! I was lucky to see it in person at my local shop and I bought it thinking it was voile, SILLY ME! When I came home and was looking for it online, duh, figured out it was the rayon challis! It sews like a dream! I love it. I bought the darker colorway then went back and bought the yellow one you have in the top photo and I’m using it for the AMH Painted Portrait top. I love the way it looks in the Wiksten!

Betsy says:

It looks like you did something fancy on your hems? That’s the part I struggle with when making the tova tank.

Fran says:

I love the blouses you make….all of them! This last post really got to my sewing wish list…..did you ever think of doing a sew along or tutorial on making this blouse….I am a new quilter and have not sewn any tops or blouses. Is this pattern difficult to make?

Fran says:

You really did wonderful work with this pattern…the fabric is lovely! Have you ever thought about a sew a long tutorial for these tops? I am not experienced at making blouses but would love to try!

Andrea says:

I used to love making tops from rayon challis…just beware, I don’t know if rayon has changed much over the years but it does shrink a lot…LOTS in the drier…I used to wash in cold and hang to dry.
    That fabric is so pretty.!