faux roman stripes

Thank you for all your nice comments on my pink and gray improv quilt! I had a lot of fun putting that one together, even though it took a lot more time (and a lot of extra measuring!). I made use of both my design wall and design floor as I laid out and rearranged (and then rearranged some more!) various sections.

And after completing that quilt top, I felt the need for something quick, and this was just the ticket. This combined my interest in playing with stripes – more specifically using striped fabric in place of piecing stripes – and my interest in making a quilt out of white and one color. This design is meant to look like a roman stripe design — I’ve seen many examples in the older quilt books I have, and this one in particular (that link doesn’t provide any info on this quilt, but does provide an image of a lovely antique blue and white roman stripe quilt) made up of just blue and white is beautiful.

(this is what most of my quilt photos look like these days! this little helper can’t resist a quilt!)

I decided to once again make use of that great gray and white stripe from Lotta Jansdotter’s Bella line. I used squares of the stripe (cut on the bias) and made up half square triangle blocks, pairing each stripe block with a white. A little trimming and bam! nice quick quilt!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to faux roman stripes

palak says:

i’m really loving these all solid quilts. The quilt looks great– but when did Max get so big?!?! It’s great that he helps you photograph!

Karee says:

Love it! The crispness is most excellent. Soooooo, how are you going to quilt it?

Jan says:

Somehow, my comment was lost. I love this quilt, it’s so fresh and simple.

Samantha says:

Nice, simple, and clean. I like it! So glad you didn’t piece all of those stripes. Practicality is refreshing. :)

Penny Gold says:

What a great idea–love the quilt!

Michelle says:

That’s pretty spiffy! Love HSTs. Love two tone quilts! I’ve been working with the Bella strips too (and the others in the range) and it’s really lovely stuff. My favourite is probably the grellow stripe though (closedly followed by the grellow spot!)

Cindy says:

I just love your work, Ashley! And pictures of your cute little one, Max!!:) Have a great weekend!

Linda Fieldhouse says:

Ashley,

Lovely quilt! Looking forward to how you quilt this. What kind of machine do you quilt with? The contrast of Max’s striped shirt and your quilt is awesome! Continue to enjoy your blog.

Linda

vickie van dyken says:

honestly I think the picture with your little one is absolutely precious and sort of classic looking. I say that because to me your quilt looks classy and classic :) Keep the pictures of your son coming, he is very photogenic!!! I am a Gramma, so I know these things LOL

10. Pingback: FITF: taking stock, once again | Film in the Fridge