Chicopee, any way you slice it

Hello Chicopee! This new line from Denyse Schmidt is totally fun. I love these bold and vibrant colors and as a quilter, I love the smaller prints which I think will become staples in my stash. What I find interesting about this collection is that at first glance there are prints that I wouldn’t necessarily select on their own, yet I think they each add something perfect to the line as a whole. I knew that I needed to make a quilt using the entire line!

I bought a fat quarter stack and added in a few Michael Miller Cotton Couture solids. I thought it was only appropriate to pair Denyse’s new line with the Any Way You Slice It pattern from her first book, Denyse Schmidt Quilts. (I seem to have misplaced my copy of the book, so this is what I recall the pattern to look like.)

As you know, I’m a fan of any type of string quilt, and this one is no exception. Unlike the other string quilts I’ve made, this one doesn’t use a center string, so it’s a bit wonkier. To add to the look, I pieced a few strips and added a snippet or two whenever I found my strips a bit short.

Love it!

(and ps. thank you to this person with the amazing driveway!)

You can find Denyse Schmidt's Chicopee line at these great shops:

Fat Quarter Shop
Fresh Squeezed Fabrics
Hawthorne Threads
Nido
Fabricworm
Sew Modern
Pink Chalk Fabrics

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Chicopee, any way you slice it

beth lehman says:

oh, ashley!!! it is fantasically fabulously perfect!!! love all the colors together, they really are great and i agree, i would never choose some of them, but i love them all together. you’ve made a buyer out of me!!!

Suzanne says:

I really like how you pieced some of the strings in this one. And the driveway, oh the happy memories it evokes of my grandmother’s house.

I’m obsessed with the colors in this line. Its gorgeous! I can’t wait to see how you quilt it.

Sarah says:

Oh yay, new quilting vocab words! String quilt? Center string! Now I’m going to read your whole blog to find out exactly what these great sounding things are!

I just left a comment didnt even know where FB sent me, just loved the quilt and I just woke up. :I read the remarks, and it said ‘
    and if anyone knows me,,,, after a couple sips of coffee, I am like Hey, Go back.. I bet I say your FilmintheFridge, twice a wk. I am going to come back and look for a tutorial. LOVE IT>

Gorgeous!! I love that you paired it with Any Way You Slice It and the solids look really great with it.

Gorgeous! I love this line so much! Can you please share which Cotton Couture colors you used? They look like they match perfectly!

Cindy says:

Beautiful quilt, Ashley!:)

Siobhan says:

That’s one great driveway – I love that someone had the foresight and planted those trees, & of course the quilt is fantastic!

Pat says:

So in addition to making gorgeous quilts you also seek out gorgeous backgrounds for their “portraits”. Good for you! Seriously, this is a beautiful quilt. Will love to see the final quilting on it.

Kati R. says:

Gooorgeousness, Ashley! It looks absolutely pretty! And I WAS going to ask you about the awesome driveway, it’s the perfect background for photos! :)) Thanks so much for sharing!

Miss Nancy says:

Love your string quilt and the fabrics! Very colorful and bright! Great setting for the picture as well. Thank you for sharing and for the link.

Have a super great sewing and stitching day!

Jody says:

Absolutely stunning….love it! Did you go totally improv or did you stack and whack Ashley? Just curious…..very very pretty and gorgeous photography!

amandajean says:

it’s a beauty, Ashley! perfect fabric and pattern pairing!

Nancy says:

Love that fabric and love what you’ve done with it. One of my faves among your many wonderful quilts. Thanks for sharing.

Cristin says:

Love the wonky string blocks! More choatic, but more fun too :-)

Kay Hoeppner says:

This quilt is absolutly gorgeous. I have a stack of this waiting to cut into.I have been thing about strings,think I have all of your tutorials so maybe after our big weekend I can get something going. Love every single one of your quilts, Ashly:)

Cathy K says:

Wow! What a gorgeous and colorful quilt! Thank you for sharing!

Gladys says:

Hello Ashley, I have been following your blog since January and really enjoy your unique style of showing your quilts in different settings. So much fun! Since I am a new quilter, I have done mostly traditional quilts, but after seeing your pictures, my taste is leaning towards the modern fabric. I checked out your string piecing paper quilting tutorial and want to try that. Thanks for all your inspiration!

beki says:

GOrgeous! I absolutely love this!!

Rose Marie says:

Love this. Love the colors. I really like string quilts.

30. Pingback: FITF: Chicopee! | Film in the Fridge

anna chan says:

I enjoyed reading on your project. I also wonder what center string mean? can you explain. Can you tell me on this chicopee quilt, what is your finished size block? Thanks in advance for the sharing.

Linda de Beaudrap says: