Denyse Schmidt’s studio sale and a visit to NYC

When Denyse Schmidt’s studio sale was announced, I knew I had to go. So what if it’s a 5 hour drive… or that it meant getting up at 3am in order to arrive in time… I think it was worth it! It was such fun to see Denyse’s studio, and all the beautiful quilts she had hanging. Here are just a few of the quilts -

dsquilts

dsquilts2

And a few shots of the sale – some pillow covers….

ds-studio2

(and that’s the only shot I have of Denyse herself – just her back behind that display)

and lots of beautiful quilts!

ds-studio

ds-quilts3

I came home with a bag of studio scraps – some solids, some Flea Market Fancy pieces and even some scraps of Hope Valley

ds-scraps

I didn’t have a chance to talk to Denyse (my own fault!), but I did get to talk to Heather Ross, who really is as nice, or even nicer, as everyone says!

From there, we continued on to NYC, for a little weekend away. We had a chance to hang out with my cousin and cousin in law (hi zach & kim!), do a little shopping, and enjoy some really nice fall weather in the city. All in all, a great weekend away!

fall-in-ny

This entry was posted in Fabric and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Denyse Schmidt’s studio sale and a visit to NYC

Pamela S says:

How wonderful – what a great time you must have had! I wish I could have made it – I’m thinking of all the inspiration to be gained by the visit!

Cristin says:

Looks like a fabulous trip! Denise’s studio is great! Oh to see her quilts in person, what a fantastic experience!

Jill says:

How exciting! I would have wanted to touch, snuggle with and buy everything! Enjoy your bag of scraps!

Faith says:

That is so cool! I’m so jealous you are within driving distance. When I saw her studio sale I was trying to plot ways to send my husband to the area for work….but who knows what he would have come home with. LOL

Amber says:

How fun – can’t imagine being in the same room as those two – so much creativity!

Jenny says:

What a great opportunity! I would have loved to go too!

leigh says:

how great that you got to go! i briefly considered buying a plane ticket the day before . . . i’m also glad you got some good scraps – i’m sure they’ll turn into something lovely.

I think you definitely have a “Denyse” feel to your quilts. The quilts in the first picture reminded me of the cool things you do on the backs of your quilts. How fun to be able to have that nice weekend away and see Denyse and Heather Ross. I’m sure you were inspired, and I’m sure we’ll be seeing some great things from you in the near future.

mjb says:

So neat that you went – and thanks for taking pictures of those quilts! So inspiring – her style is just so unique and makes me want to keep working.

Meg says:

Oh how cool–I am green with envy!! Thank you so much for sharing the photos, it’s a little added boost to remind me why I do what I do. :)

leslie says:

what yummy quilts….it really tells you just to let go and really play with your ideas. i think i just agonize too much….or…not enough confidence. either way it is inspiration!

Dare I ask, what were the quilts going for in the studio sale?

Kate says:

Lucky you!! I would have given my right arm to go to the studio sale but given I am down under it would have meant leaving 24 hours early!

Susan says:

Ashley, I still have a stack of Flea Market Fancy left from various projects ~ are you interested. I’m gifting it, not selling it, so let me know.

Audrie says:

I really wanted to go and it’s only 1.5 hrs from my home, but I fell sick with the flu and couldn’t make it after all :( Boo.

erica says:

I found out about it way too late….I am so glad you went! Sounds like an inspiring studio visit. I would kill for some of those scraps!

beth says:

wow! I would have wanted to go to that sale too!! way to far away for the likes of me! thanks for the pics!

tnishee says:

I love that your one picture from NYC is of trees! Not what most people think of when they think NYC, but there are a lot of good ones here.

jacquie says:

what fun! i should’ve simply used some air miles and gone. maybe next time!

Kyla says:

Looks like you guys had fun and got a lot of good stuff. The picture looked like it was just BEAUTIFUL!!! Haha i have like that exact same pic of the tree from NYC just different colors. Looks like you got to get a lot of different fabrics, all of which look really cute. Glad you got to see Zach and Kim, hope you had fun. Morgan’s a good sport for going with you.

Kim says:

Yeah! Fun times! Come back soon :)

jaybird says:

i’m only 3 hours away.. and i had planned on going.. but well life got in the way… i’m glad you got to go & it looks like it was sooo much fun.