squared (a finished quilt, and a giveaway!)


It’s so fun to have a finished quilt! It feels like it’s been a long time – my time these days has been taken up with home showings, appraisals, inspections… and of course lots of cleaning. Not so much fun, so it’s even more fun than usual to have a new quilt to admire.


And oh man, this one is one I love looking at! I’ve collected little pieces of these Maze and Vale prints, which are all hand printed in Australia by Leslie Keating. She periodically sells little sample packs (sign up for her newsletter to be alerted to when they’re available, but beware, they go fast!), and I grabbed a few here and there along with a few panels of my favorite prints, and recently I felt I finally had enough variety to make up a quilt out of all Maze and Vale prints.


I made up a bunch of squares of a variety of sizes, alternating the Maze and Vale prints with a solid white. I talked a bit more about putting it together in my previous post about this quilt.


All along though, I kept dreaming about the perfect backing fabric, namely one of Leslie’s drop cloths (which she also cuts and offers on her site as artwork). I bugged her about buying one more times than I should have, and even though she said the fabric she uses for a drop cloth wouldn’t be cozy or soft for a quilt back, I still couldn’t get it out of my head. I probably should have stopped, but really, I was pretty obsessed. And finally Leslie agreed to do her last printing in her old studio using a softer piece of cloth for the drop cloth.


It was even better than I imagined, and when I received it I spent lots of time studying it and photographing it.


I just love all these overlapping images!


And now this quilt is truly two sided! I can’t thank Leslie enough for this gorgeous backing for my quilt!


But wait! Leslie has a little something for you too. She’s selected these 5 panels for one lucky winner (they happen to be some of my favorites as well!).


Leave a comment here and I’ll select a winner on Thursday. This giveaway is open to all. Please, one comment per person. (Don’t worry if you don’t see your comment immediately – it may need to be approved on my end and I’ll go through and do that periodically.)

Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 9.22.17 PM

UPDATE: A winner has been selected! Random.org has selected #487, Jackie Carpenter, who said “I’m so glad you got that quilt back- it is out of this world and spot-on, just-right for this quilt! Well done. Inspiring!”

Thanks to all for your wonderful comments and for taking the time to leave a comment. A big congrats to Jackie – I hope you’ll love these beautiful Maze & Vale panels!


A huge thank you to Leslie for creating such gorgeous fabrics, and for being so generous!


Posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts | Tagged , , , , , , | 561 Comments

a quilt top from Fat Quarter Style (+ giveaway!)

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 9.49.23 PM

I somewhat reluctantly agreed to participate in the book tour for the Fat Quarter Style book. I say reluctantly because I really don’t often make quilts from patterns. However, I decided it would be worth taking a look, and in fact I’m glad I did!


The book offers 12 quilts in four different sizes that can be made from fat quarters. Most seem relatively easy to put together, and I can see these being great designs to turn to when you need a quick project.


I was asked to make a block from the Circuit quilt, which is a simple little block. So simple in fact, that I really couldn’t just show you one block, so instead I’ve made a baby quilt top. And honestly? It came together so quickly and I’m even happier with it than I thought I would be (sometimes it’s nice not to over think a quilt and instead just enjoy the fabrics!)


Speaking of fabrics, when looking for fabrics to use, I came across a pile I had pulled once upon a time (thought I see now I may have lost part of my stack!). It had sat for so long that I was really happy to finally put it to use. I added in a few cotton + steel basics and then mixed and matched the prints and solids in each block.


Want to make one of your own? The Fat Quarter Shop has generously sent an extra copy of this book for me to give away, so please leave a comment here to be in the running. I’ll select a winner on Sunday evening.

Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 8.08.14 PM

A winner! Random.org has selected comment #99, Laura Hall, who said “You’ve made another great top! Love the pattern-sure I would love the book. L” Congrats, Laura! I hope you’ll enjoy this book!

Posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts | Tagged , , , , | 366 Comments

the 5th annual Action Kivu fundraiser


It’s time for the Action Kivu fundraiser, organized by Alissa Haight Carlton. It’s a really wonderful way to raise money for the women of the Congo (and maybe win yourself a great prize at the same time!).

This nonprofit offers sewing workshops to the women of the Congo, teaching them skills to be able to provide for themselves and their families and also helps to fund the education of the children affected by the conflict. You can read more about their mission here.


I spent a little time reading through their blog and was moved by some of the stories of the graduating sewing students. It’s so hard to imagine what some of them have been through, yet they all talk about having hope after graduating the program. What a great feeling to know that our fundraising efforts have in part been able to give these women hope and a renewed outlook on life.


Donating is easy, and every little bit counts! Together lets help Alissa meet her $15,000 goal. Hop on over to Alissa’s blog to donate and to enter to win one of the great prizes.


Help spread the word on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter! Let’s get to that $15,000 goal!

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | 1 Comment