Henry – 3 months

(Steeplechase quilt)

This little guy is already 3 months old, and oh so sweet! He’s such an easy going baby, and rarely cries – sometimes I forget for a second that he’s here! I suppose third children have so much going on around them that they’re always entertained.


We’re still working on getting smiles out of him – his usual look is a frown (!), or this sort of skeptical look. It’s kind of amusing.


So far his only real dislikes seem to be the car (oh, the screaming!) and bottles (how dare we think that he’d want to have milk from a bottle!). For the time being that means we don’t travel too far by car, and I don’t get to travel too far from Henry!


The gang. (We’re going to have to keep working on our poses!)

Posted in baby | Tagged , , | 16 Comments

coral maze

I pulled out all my hoarded collected Maze & Vale prints the other day and decided that rather than just admiring them and putting them back on the shelf, I should actually make something out of them. What an idea, right?!


As you may know, I’ve been and admirer, and collector!, of Leslie’s beautiful hand printed fabrics for quite some time now, and I’ve made a couple quilts previously out of her fabrics (here and here).


This time I decided to limit the color palette – using all the pinks, yellows and brownish grays I had along with some similar solids. The design is similar to my Bespoke quilt, though with less background white space and consequently a slightly different look.


I like that it shows off larger sections of these beautiful prints.


My mom has already mentioned that these are her colors, so possibly she’s making a play for this one? (though she also mentioned that it would be great if it could be larger to fit her bed…unfortunately that’s not possible as this one already used up my stash of Maze & Vale prints!)

Posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts | Tagged , , , | 10 Comments

two by four – a quilt block tutorial


So, it seems there’s interest in the measurements for this block (It wasn’t actually a trick question – I really did want to make sure there was enough interest before taking the time to put together a tutorial! And, well, it got a lot of you to comment, so there’s that…)

I hope you’ll enjoy this tutorial and will pull out some fat quarters to give this block a try! It’s fun to make and goes together quite quickly!

_ _ _

Block size: 9″ x 10 1/2″ (unfinished)

A few points to keep in mind:

*measurements provided are ideal for fat quarters, but yardage could be used as well
*non-directional prints work best — directional prints can be used of course, though keep in mind that the design will be upside down on half the block
*each pair of fat quarters yields 6 blocks (I used 18 fat quarters included in Melissa Ybarra’s Blush & Bloom line, along with a few extra solid strips, for a total of 56 blocks arranged in a 7 block by 8 block layout)

ready, set, go!

From each fat quarter, cut 3″ strips along the long (22″) edge of the fat quarter. You can cut 6 – 3″ x 22″ strips from each fat quarter.

Pair each strip with a strip of a different fabric (I think they look great when they’re coordinating, but have different values so you can see the checkerboard look – I mostly paired a print fabric with a solid or near solid, but play around with it to see what you like best!)


Sew the two strips together along the length and press the seam


Cut in half – I cut my pieces into roughly two 10 1/2″ sections.


Sew these two pieces together, repeating the pattern (print, solid, print, solid, for example) and press


Trim one edge, then cut two sections measuring 4 3/4″ (look – very little waste!)


Flip one section and sew together. Pin at each seam, or keep an eye on the seams as you’re sewing to make sure they’re aligning correctly.

Note: Keep in mind that how you flip and sew your sections will determine the look of the final block – above you’ll note that I kept the print at the top left, and if you were making a quilt with alternating prints and solids and wanted to keep that pattern across the quilt, you’d want to make sure to keep it the same for each block (ie – always keep the print in the top left when sewing these sections together).


If you flip it the other way, the solid will be in the top left.

[In my quilt I decided to sew my blocks randomly, so you’ll see sections where the blocks are put together and prints are aligned with other prints, rather than always alternating with a solid]


Sew together and press, and ta da, block #1. Repeat for as many blocks as you need for your desired quilt size.

To speed up the process, make several blocks at once and chain piece. You’ll be amazed at how quickly this top will come together!


Posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks, Tutorials | Tagged , , , , , , , | 38 Comments