framed strings

I almost forgot to show you the finished project! This one has been framed and up on our wall for a while now, and I love looking at it. You might remember that some of these fabrics were purchased in a Denyse Schmidt scrap bag many many years ago. I had hung onto them, wanting to make something I liked out of fabrics that weren’t necessarily my go to prints or colors.

Happily I can say that I was successful, as I really do love this mix of neutrals and prints. And of course you already know that I love me a string block!

I decided to keep this one as just a quilt top, and built (asked Morgan to build) an inner frame that I wrapped and stapled the quilt top around. I stained a bit of thin wood for an outer frame and attached it to the wrapped piece.

I hesitate to show you the real life photo (as I didn’t even bother to declutter or attempt to fluff the notoriously unfluffable couch pillows), but there you have it! We think it makes a nice addition to the living room.

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to framed strings

Little Quiltsong says:

This is beautiful – and what a great idea with the framing!! Love how it looks on your wall!

Pat S says:

I love string quilts and this one looks great on your wall.

Janet says:

I’d love to see what the inner frame looks like. Or maybe a picture of the back? I’d love to do this and have my husband build the frame!

Kathy E. says:

This is amazing! Who cares about in-fluffed pillows when you have this hanging on your wall?? What a great idea to frame a quilt…it adds such a modern look to a wall. I love it!

Kathy says:

That is really fantastic! I love the colors and how clean it looks with no visible quilting. Gorgeous!

Judy says:

Great look! A piece of art.

Robby says:

What a fantastic addition to your living space. Clever way to display it for a twist on your handmade art. There is something really satisfying about having something you’ve created displayed in your home. Hope you and your family enjoy it.

Jannette B. says:

Those aren’t my colours either, but I’d be thrilled to have it hanging in my living space!
    Thanks for the idea! I have a smallish quilt top that I love, but just don’t have the energy or desire to quilt – I hadn’t thought about framing it! I’m going to add this to my hubby’s “honey-do” list…

Meg says:

I love your truly modern twist on a wall quilt! Those muted colors still have so much energy!

I love how you added that wood edge. Makes the piece look so much more substantial. Will have to remember that!

Sherry says:

I think you posted about the quilt top before and, again, the colors are so pleasing to the eye.
    Please consider a tutorial on how to frame a quilt. I’m intrigued. It looks as if the quilt edges are unfinished and somehow mounted (glue, staples, tacks?) to a backing, then framed.

Cheryl says:

How did you keep it taut? does it pull on the seams? it looks fabulous, “real life” and all!

Jenny says:

I love love love it.

Elizabeth Devereaux says:

Looks fabulous! Your inner/outer frame idea is great. I hope you enjoy your lovely room.

diane says:

Oh I LOVE this! It is perfect!

suzanprincess says:

It looks quite elegant on the wall, and the frame sets it off perfectly. Great idea!

Michele says:

Looks amazing!!!

Michele says:

This is stunning! I love it framed – it looks like a magazine spread in one of my favorite home furnishing catalogs!

A. Bouwman says:

It looks great, love the idea. Greetings

Gigi Voegeli says:

Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Tracy says:

The quilt is beautiful and I love how you framed it.

Sandra says:

Looks great. It would have been nice to have seen the step-by-step process of that framing!
    Size of wood, etc.

Ellen McKinley says:

I would love more information about the framing. Did you quilt it, or is it just the pieced top? Seems like it would be easier to frame unquilted. How was the frame made? I would love to do something like this–it’s beautiful!

janequiltsslowly says:

great way to use special fabric! Love it.

shelley says:

I love it as a framed piece. Very graphic. My sofa cushions are not fluffed either, given they are my cat’s favorite nap place.

Carolaj says:

It is wonderful. My sister is not a traditional quilt person, but she would really love this. I think I will make one for a guest room at my house also. I don’t normally do string quilts, but this has got my ‘mojo’ going.

Linda says:

That is stunning! I usually like brighter colors, but I don’t think you could have found anything better to hang over your couch. Morgan did a great job on the two-section frame. And, if I had three little ones (and I did in the past!!!), my living room would not look ANYWHERE as good as yours does. I love the windows that let in so much light.

Keep up the good work. ­čśÄ

xo Linda

Paula says:

Wow! This looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Christine says:

Very, very cool. Great idea for a smallish quilt that you don’t know what to do with. Everything you do is already a work of art, but adding the stained wood frame really takes it up a notch. You should be proud!

Ivy says:

Love the way you framed that quilt! Looks fabulous!

Tamie says:

It’s beautiful. I love that you challenged yourself and that you left it a top. Your frame is perfect for displaying it. Don’t worry, my couch pillows look like that all the time too.

Anne says:

this is so lovely! I would love to know how you made it look so good in that great frame!

Barbara says:

I love your string quilt. The colors are so calming and appealing to me. It is the perfect addition to your room.

Doris says:

This looks great on your wall.

I came across your blog about nine months ago while researching spider web patterns and decided to subscribe. You do really nice work! And the frequency and length of your posts is “just right”. Lots of great photos too. I’m looking forward 2017.

This a great use for a quilt top. I agree with others…a tutorial would be great. Could make some of those WIP tops more functional as art pieces.