Macaroni twist quilt

macaronitwist2

Don’t mind me while I gaze at these photos and dream about green grass, leaves, and warm temperatures! In the midst of the arctic temperatures we’re experiencing now, it’s kind of nice to post these sunny summer photos.

lovepatchwork

I made this quilt last summer and submitted it to Love Patchwork & Quilting. I was happy to hear they were interested in having it in an upcoming issue (though a little sad that I’d have to wait all this time to show it to you!). This issue (issue 18) is now available, and what a wonderful surprise it was for me to see my quilt on the cover!

macaronitwist

The quilt is a fun one to make, and rather quick! The best part is that this is just one of many possible layouts – I had two favorites – this and one other, but went with this layout because I really liked the diagonal pattern. I liked to refer to it as Macaroni Necklace, since those diagonals reminded me of the colorful elbow noodles strung on yarn. I made this quilt out of all the Cotton & Steel basics and used an out of print white on white print for the background.

macaronitwistback

The backing is another Cotton & Steel print along with a skinny strip of pieces of the prints from the front. I decided to try to emphasize the diagonal lines by quilting with straight lines on the diagonal.

macaronitwist4

Instructions for putting together this quilt are provided in the magazine, along with instructions for matching pillow covers. You wouldn’t know it from this photo, but Hazel’s delight here was in discovering that the backing of these pillows features her favorite C+S tiger cat print. She still loves that one! (And I still need to make her that crib sheet!)

macaronitwistback2

Anyway, I hope you’ll make up one of these quilts – I’d love to see how it looks in other fabrics.

Thanks so much to the great people at Love Patchwork & Quilting for including my work in their wonderful magazine!

This entry was posted in [search] Liberated Quilts, Fabric, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Macaroni twist quilt

Alice R. says:

Congratulations on being a cover girl! How wonderful to be published. It’s a very fun looking quilt – love it!

Terri Ann says:

Beautiful work and congrats cover girl! The diagonal straight lines really create beautiful movement in the quilt especially with the different spacing. And I agree it’s nice to remember there’s grass under all that snow outside right now!

Ann says:

Ooooo a Covergirl we mere mortals may not be able to ‘talk’ to you anymore LOL. This quilt is wonderful and the back of the quilt is a great contrast to the front. Congratulations it must be a real rush to see your work splashed out on the cover.

Pat S says:

What a neat quilt and I love the pillows that go with it.

Rae says:

I bought this month’s magazine on the strength of your quilt on the cover! Lovely work, the Cotton + Steel looks bright and fresh. Can imagine this in lots of different variations – subtle or strong colours, maybe a version on a darker background…single colour ‘crosses’. Would love to see what the alternative layouts you came up with were.

Lana says:

LOVE IT….going today to get my copy of the mago!!!
    your quilts are always so lovely…

Sharon Nicholas says:

First of all, congratulations on having this lovely quilt on the cover of this magazine. Secondly, I absolutely love it, so much in fact that I already have the magazine on my Ipad. Finding some of these quilting magazines is difficult so I am so happy that Itunes have it ready for purchase and download, and at a price considerably lower than in stores. I can’t wait to make this.

Lovely quilt! And congrats on making the cover, too! What a fun surprise!

Kaesey says:

I saw this in the store the other day! Congrats! What a fun quilt. =)

Karen says:

I’ll definitely be adding this quilt to my MUST MAKE list. Absolutely beautiful and the pillows are fabulous as well. A Big congratulations on the cover.

emily says:

the front is light and lovely. and the back is so dramatic! can’t decide which side i like more 🙂

Marianne says:

Now I would have been afraid that dark backing would have shown through and not used it. Glad to see that is doable! Who knew?!

Jen says:

Love this quilt! Nice play of pattern across the top – and the grass looks particularly lovely after a week of sub-zero temperatures in Michigan.

Lael says:

Wow. I didn’t notice anything unusual with the scene behind the quilt until I read your blog post and read that it’s a picture from summer. That’s how it looks outside here. We’ve finally been blessed with rain in Sunny So. California, so we’re green here too, but right now TODAY.

This quilt is fantastic (like all your others). What an awesome accomplishment.

SUE KUJAWA says:

I love this quilt. I would love to be able to make it for a future grandchild.