a quilt for baby eva

evasquilt

My cousin had a baby girl a couple months ago and of course that called for a baby quilt! I always love a simple patchwork quilt, and arranging squares into this plus design is a favorite way to showcase great fabrics.

evasquilt4

While I’m usually all about the pink, I decided to go less girly on this one, using lots of prints from the pretty line Meadow, by Leah Duncan. Those greens, yellows and oranges make me happy and perfectly fit the season.

evasquiltback2

I loved your backing suggestions, and almost ordered up some of the green Lizzy House pearl bracelet print, but in the end decided to be good and use up what I had.

evasquiltback

The quilt measures about 45″ wide, so a bit wider than your standard fabric, which meant that I had to do a bit of piecing to make my stripes long enough. I was annoyed initially to have made more work for myself, but now I’m pleased it worked out that way – I’m always happy to be able to use up all the extras (I haven’t been so good at using up my scraps lately, so I like it when a quilt doesn’t create too many scraps!)

My sewing machine is under the weather, so I haven’t been able to do much sewing, but I made up for it this weekend when my mom loaned me her machine. Since I only had the machine for the weekend, I opted for some simple straight lines on the sides of each seam. It’s simple, but I really love the way it looks, and even more, I love how soft it keeps the quilt.

evasquilt2

I went dark with the binding – there are a few prints in there that have a bit of navy, and I really like the contrast. I went digging into my solid stash for something, and happened to come across this dark (navy? charcoal?) sketch print, and I think it’s quite perfect!

I certainly hope that Eva will get lots of use out of this one!

Previous posts about this quilt can be found here and here.
This entry was posted in baby, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to a quilt for baby eva

Laurelle C says:

Gorgeous. I love making plus quilts also. Love the binding choice :)

Kelly O. says:

beautiful! that binding was the perfect choice!

Sarah Helene says:

LOVE ALL THE COLORFUL PRINT FABRICS ON YOUR QUILT! The bright oranges, greens and golds PLUS SIGNS (5 squares of same fabric sewn together) stand out among the numerous pastel ones. Ideal baby quilt for Eva, so thanks for sharing. Also LOVE the back of this quilt featuring same colorful prints sewn in wide horizontal stripes. Sarah in Minneapolis

Kelly Cline says:

All great fabric choices! Beautiful!

Sue Hall says:

Ashley, you always find the perfect setting for your quilt photos, each one is just right for the finished quilt, thank you for your inspiration, I am trying to improve my quilt photography and your pictures are my ‘ go to see how it’s done’ every time.

Carla says:

Another lovely creation ; ) I’m sure it will be loved

kristin says:

i LOVE this quilt. i know how luxuriously soft the AGF fabric is and how perfect those colors are in person, too, so I’m sure this quilt is just a stunner to see in real life (photos just can’t capture texture and richness). Especially love the binding you chose – never would’ve thought to go dark with it but it’s perfect!

Coastal gray says:

What kind of batting do you like to use….

Karen says:

This is so beautiful, right up my alley color wise. May I ask what pattern you used?

Oh how pretty! I love this collection for right now. The back turned out real well. Good thing you had to piece it =)

Nancy rector says:

This is beautiful. I like how you’ve quilted it too. Your posts are inspirational. Also, I’d love to take the scraps you create off your hands! Maybe we can figure out a trade!?

Hannah says:

i’ve always loved this pattern, but completely adore your quilt composition, with all those lovely fresh spring colours. I’m so curious about how much fabric you used for this quilt?