2013 sampler quilt

samplerquilt

Yes, it’s already May and I’m still talking about 2013. It could be worse, I suppose (there are several other quilt tops hanging out in the closet that date way back!). This is a quilt I started near the end of 2013 – I didn’t really have a plan in mind, other than the fact that I wanted to use the fabrics from Umbrella Prints’ Floating World line. I made a few different blocks, just playing around with the prints, and as I kept sticking them up on the design wall I found that I liked them all and couldn’t commit to any one type of block. Why stick to one type when you can use them all? So yes, a sampler!

samplerquilt3

And after that, it was just a matter of making up a variety of blocks that I used in quilts during the past year. The trickiest part of course was filling in all the white space between all the blocks. A design wall definitely comes in handy, and the fact that I needed said design wall for another quilt pushed me to get it done faster than I might have otherwise.

samplerquilt2

The backing is an older Echino polka dot print – it’s their lightweight linen blend, and extra wide, which meant no piecing.

samplerquilt4

I quilted it with straight lines both vertically and horizontally, mostly angled and in a variety of widths (you can see those quilting lines in the bright photo above).

samplerquilt5

Unfortunately, and what I didn’t notice until taking this quilt outside for photos, the backing seems to have bled into the quilting lines and has resulted in a slight greenish tinge all along those stitch lines. I think this is the first time I’ve experienced this. I need to do a bit of research to see if there’s anything I can do at this point to try to lessen the staining. If you have any suggestions, I’d certainly love to hear!

A previous post about this quilt can be found here.
This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to 2013 sampler quilt

Susan says:

Try washing your quilt with Color Catchers (you find them in the laundry aisle in the grocery store). If it’s minor staining it will probably do the trick.

Karen says:

wash the quilt in hot water with color catchers – I have heard that washing in hot water gets excess color out – leave it to soak for awhile also might help get all the excess dye out

Debbie Miner says:

It’s just wonderful! I love it!

janet moilanen says:

I love everything about your quilt! I can’t see the bleeding color in the photos but if it is bothersome enough to you, it may be worth trying to remove the excess dye. You might want to try Synthrapol – a surfactant for removing excess dye. I haven’t used it myself but read about it in a blog a while ago. There was enough detail in the blog to convince me to buy some just to have on hand. I found it at Joann’s online – 4 oz concentrated on sale for about $4. Manufactured by Oak Craft Industries, Somerset MA. Since your quilt looks large, you could recreate the problem by quilting up a small sample (assuming you have scraps!)with some of that green backing and trying the Syntrapol. Good luck. I hope you post on what you decide to do and your results.

Linda says:

A color catcher is the first thing that came to mind for me, also, but I’ve always heard that hot water set stains! I’m sure the package will advise whether to use hot, cold or inbetween. Good luck. It does look great!

xo Linda

Sarah Helene says:

LOVE THE 3RD PHOTO as your large quilt drapes revealing the bright green with white polka-dot fabric on the reverse side. Your asymmetrical mix of triangles, wide crosses, squares, rectangles — all in different sizes and colors is UNIQUE indeed! Your groupings in various shapes is FAB as this design shows your artistic talents. I like the muted numerous colors in Umbrella Prints’ Floating World line of prints, nothing bright nor bold here. THANKS for sharing as the quilt ‘sees’ the daylight for true colors! An heirloom quilt sewn with lots of LOVE! Sarah in Minneapolis

Lori says:

Synthrapol has always worked for me. Sometimes it takes a couple of treatments. Pretty quilt!

terri henderson says:

i second lori

Tamie says:

Use a couple of color catchers when you do wash. Several of my friends use them every time they wash a quilt as they can be reused if they aren’t soaked with excess color.

Barb R says:

I’m with Lori on the use of Synthrapol. Ricky Tims recently spoke to that bleeding issue and he explained it quite scientifically but the bottom line is use Synthrapol. I also agree with using dye magnet sheets when washing quilts, but this will need the other. I’ve read a lot of your blog and try to stay current. Love your quilts and have been inspired to go more modern after many years of traditional. Thanks so much!

Margaret says:

love a sampler quilt, so many things to see and admire. I am a believer in colour catchers, use them when I wash the fabric as soon as I buy it

Jessica C says:

I use a color catcher as well — but if it has already bled like yours has done, I use the color catcher in conjunction with oxyclean in the prewash setting on my washing machine. Good luck! (The quilt is so soothing, by the way.)

Margot says:

I would also use a dye magnet or color catcher, but I would be reluctant to use hot water, or to soak it. Good luck, it’s a great quilt.

Lizzie says:

Sorry about the bleeding. I sure love the palette you chose for this though. Really wonderful and airy sampler!

Merel says:

Totally love this modern version of a sampler!

I had good experience with a combination of a hand full of colorcatchers (I put in like 12 for a twin in batiks) in combination with an oxy wash product added to a normal wash product in a 30-40degree Celcius wash cicle. It actually removed the staining!
    Good luck.