handmade popovers

popover

(love this Cloud 9 Palos Verdes voile! and yes, Max’s pants are on backwards)

I love me a J. Crew popover, especially now that they’ve been making them in lovely Liberty fabrics, and have sort of been obsessed with making my own for a long time now. But for some reason, while I have made myself a few tops in the past, a button down seemed very near impossible. Well, my desire finally got the best of me, and I found myself ripping apart an old, too small, J. Crew popover that had been hanging in my closet for longer than I can remember. I drew myself some new pattern pieces, upping the size a bit here and there, and then just hoping for the best (and mostly just hoping that I’d be able to figure out how it all went back together!).

popover4

I made the first out of this great voile print from Rashida’s Koi line (jumping right in with some nice fabric!). Luckily I had saved all the pieces from the ripped apart shirt, as I had to spend quite a bit of time studying it and trying to figure out how to sew it together.

popover5

(modeling this shirt? not an easy feat! sadly this blurry one is one of the best!)

I also found Grainline’s Archer sew along series quite helpful, as the steps used for the Archer button down shirt are quite similar (as an aside, the Archer would be a great pattern if you’re looking to make something similar!).

popover3

(a Liberty of London version)

I was surprised to find that I was able to recreate this shirt (and spent way too much time exclaiming over it all – “look, sleeves!, look, a back yoke!, a front placket!, a collar!… trust me, no one was happier than Morgan when I finally finished this shirt!).

popover2

It certainly wasn’t perfect, but thanks to the nature of this style of shirt, it was wearable, and I can’t tell you how satisfying it felt to be able to figure out something I previously thought was impossible. So satisfying that I quickly made a few more. And I have fabric ready for other versions. There may be such a thing as too many popovers.

popover7

Ah, but no. I couldn’t resist a mini version for Hazel. Meow.

This entry was posted in Clothing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to handmade popovers

Malini says:

Lovely shirts! Love hazel’s too :-)!

Linda says:

Very nice! I don’t blame you for announcing your little victories to Morgan. Hazel’s top is only outshined by her adorableness…8-)

xo Linda

Fran says:

Oh, I want Hazel’s version! How cute is that?

Sandra Woods says:

They look great. And how trim you look after having Hazel.

anna says:

you are a whiz!!! these are so perfect and the one for Hazel, oh gosh, so sweet! :)

Ashley! You are amazing! I don’t think I’d be able to muster up the bravery to deconstruct my favorite shirt. I’m a huge fan of their perfect shirts in Liberty. :) Although yours turned out so great, I feel like now I need to buy a regular perfect shirt on clearance just so I can tear it apart! Enabler…

Margaret says:

some lovely fabrics you have used here

kitty says:

Good for you!! Wonderful result! Your popover looks perfect, just like the one on the adorable little Hazel! Although poor Max did not benefit from your efforts this time, he looks adorable too!!

Lauren says:

Just love the fabrics you have picked for your shirts. It is a very cute flattering style that is easy to wear. Gosh I haven’t made a shirt in years (and that is a lot of year cause I am old)- I used to make all my husband’s shirts. Don’t think I would find it easy today to remember all the steps. Good for you though – good work. The first one is always the hardest and it gets easier with each one you make. Cheers!

kristin says:

Woah you made the pattern yourself! Bravo, it’s so cute (and so is Hazel’s)! I just made an Archer and it’s amazing, fit-wise. I’m in love and want to make many more. Such a classic staple to have in the ol’ closet.

Tiffany says:

They look amazing! I don’t know if I could ever just “figure out” how to make a shirt on my own. And can I just say (one more time) that Hazel is absolutely adorable!

Cindy says:

He is so cute and getting so big. Time has sure flown. Shirt is great too!