A Lua sleep sack

FITF---lua

I hardly ever (ok, never) volunteer to pattern test, as I tend to be a bit of a procrastinator. But then a few weeks ago I was washing Hazel’s one warm sleep sack for the umpteenth time and I was thinking that I should really just make her a second one. Then I considered having to draft a pattern and quickly changed my mind. Strangely enough, that same day An of Straight Grain put out a call for pattern testers for her newest pattern, the Lua Sleep Sack. I very quickly volunteered (before I considered my procrastination issue!), and was so happy to have been selected.

luasleepsack3

I can’t really remember what first led me to An’s blog, but I’m sure it was because of her adorable daughters and the unique and beautiful clothing she creates for them. I hadn’t previously sewn from any of her patterns but I had a feeling this would be a good one, and indeed it was! And no need to worry about procrastinating — as soon as I received my copy of the pattern I was off rummaging in my double gauze stash.

luasleepsack2

This is a great project to show off a special piece of fabric so I picked this lovely Nani Iro double gauze for the outer, paired with a lime green Free Spirit voile for the lining. An gives the option of a piping detail for the front, which I thought was a nice added detail. I didn’t have any piping on hand, but I added a little faux piping by just folding a narrow piece of hot pink voile and inserting it as if it was piping (to match with my hot pink invisible zipper!).

luasleepsack

The pattern was surprisingly easy to put together and results in a really beautiful, not to mention useful!, item. I highly recommend it! I made Hazel the 6-12 month size, and it’s a perfect fit, with room to move around, and even room to grow. I’m happy to say that this sleep sack has already gotten lots of use around here – it’s definitely the one I reach for most often! You can buy a copy here if you want to make your own.

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to A Lua sleep sack

Marion says:

Beautiful – but I just don’t know which one is more beautiful. The sleeping-sack or little Hazel. Love both !

Malini says:

This looks beautiful! Love the print you choose and your baby is a perfect model :-)

jodi says:

Very nice! I’ll have to suggest it to my daughter for my little grands! We could make some together.

dispack says:

What an awesome project and you did a marvelous job on it! I love faux piping. How on earth did you get her to hold so still for the pics?!?!

mailergoat says:

Wow, it’s gorgeous! I love that fabric, and have that mobile over the crib at our house…so maybe a bit biased in favor of this project. Really lovely, though! Maybe I’ll try one for our bun on the way. Thanks for the review!

Laura Baker says:

Love this pattern and I adore the fabric. I have a pice that I was saving for a quilt.

kristin says:

so gorgeous – the thing i’m loving about this blog tour is that the sleep sacks can be display pieces on the wall when you break into your good stuff to make them! i’m a bit bummed that my baby still needs a tight swaddle now and by the time he’s old enough for a sleep sack, it’ll basically be summertime. :/

Kaesey says:

Beautiful! I miss sleep sacks….. =)

Thank you so much again for being a pattern tester, Ashley! Now that I read that you don’t really do a lot of testing, I feel even more lucky and honored. It was so great to be working with you!
    an

Margaret says:

what an adorable little one and the sleep sack is great too

I love this!!! I might need to make one for Baby, but I’ll have to get some crazy light fabrics since its hotter than anything down here. The double gauze is perfect! I’m assuming its fully lined?

roccagal says:

gosh you have really CUTE children!

15. Pingback: Liberty + Chambray Sleepsack | Olivia Jane Handcrafted – Blog