Spring plus

springplus

Often times I feel pressure (mostly self induced!) to try to come up with a new design for each new stack of fabric I put together. And while I love thinking of different ways to sew fabric together, sometimes, and especially now while my sewing time is limited, I just want to sew fabric together. I want it to be easy and I need it to be fast, and sometimes I just want to see pretty fabrics paired together.

springplus3

This is one of those times. It seems like forever since I’ve had a chance to sew up a quilt top, so after purchasing these gorgeous Leah Duncan Meadow fabrics, I was quick to pull out some other coordinating prints – some Squared Elements, some Rapture, a couple Liberty prints, and even a lovely Umbrella Prints fabric (I showed my initial fabric pull the other day). I have a recipient in mind, and I think this light, bright, Springy, girly but not too girly look will be perfect.

springplus2

I knew immediately I wanted to see these prints in a plus quilt design – I thought the mix of lighter and more saturated prints would provide some nice contrast, and I’m really pleased with the results! Now I just have to decide on a backing… solid? one of the prints from the front? Opinions are welcome!

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Spring plus

Camilla says:

Another lovely fresh quilt. I’d love to see the back in that intense orange with a long lengthwise intermission of the aqua wave!

Andrea says:

So fresh and pretty. Feels just like a warm, sunny, breezy spring day!

Fran says:

My suggestion would be green pearl bracelets on the back!

Karen says:

any of the colors that you have on the front would look good on the back if you have it in the right size. I love that pattern and might have to make it one day

Pam Pollock says:

I love your quilt! The plus quilt is definitely on my must make list! I like the dark/ bright green. The bright orange is lovely. Oh and the Rapture pink flowers. The fabric just feels so soft.

Lauren says:

I see an aqua fabric for the back coordinating one of the fabrics you used on the front and then a scrappy border using up some of your left over fabrics used in the quilt. This quilt is so cute and not too baby-ish and will be enjoyed for a long time. Very nice.

Linda says:

I’d like to see a solid back with a “stripe” of the flowered orange pluses. You know I lovr all your designs, so anything you do will look great! 8)

xo Linda

Linda says:

Not onlly do I lovr your designs, I love them, too….lol. I’m sick and just got up, so you’ll have to excuse my lack of self-editing.

Carla says:

I don’t think I’ll ever tire of these plus quilt–especially in these springy colours! Gorgeous

anna says:

oh I love this Ashley! It’s really gorgeous and just screams spring!!!

dispack says:

I’m jealous of your ‘putting different fabrics together’ skills! Solid with an off centered strip.

kristin says:

ohhhh i love it too, way to go with the plusses! you really can’t go wrong with that meadow fabric, though. i love the pearl bracelet backing idea above! :)

Margaret says:

this is lovely, as for backing there are so many colours you could pick, I quite like plain backing if the quilt is going to have lots of quilting as it shows up much better on a plain fabric, not that I have ever quilted one, now have 4 waiting for divine inspiration

Lea says:

What a pretty quilt. I love plus quilts. The fabrics & colors are fresh & cheerful. Any one of them would look fabulous on the back, or a combo. A solid would show off the quilting. Whatever you decide on it’s going to be beautiful.

Heidi says:

How about a much larger plus design? It would be a sweet surprise for the recipient.

Kaesey says:

How lovely! I really do like the pops of intense color against the low volume ones. I think I would go with one of the darker prints on the back – the tangerine orange, or the tealish green, with a yellow for the binding.

I know what you mean about just wanting to make something and have it come together quickly! The other weekend I made my daughter a dress, just a simple racerback one out of a fabric printed with little foxes, and was thrilled to have something cute and complete in an evening. (It’s on my blog if you want to look. =) I love my quilts but there’s a definite appeal to getting up from the sewing machine after an hour or so and saying “finished!”

Donna says:

I love all of your plus quilts and know you’ll figure out something nifty for the back!

Lisa C in Dallas says:

I agree. Sometimes I just want the pleasure of sewing and finishing and giving. I don’t want the time-consuming aspect of intricate piecing. Plus, simple designs showcase the fabric and – to me – that’s what it’s all about anyway!