in progress…feathers!

featherbed2

Well, I just spent a good 30 minutes searching old blog posts to link back to this stack of fabric only to realize that I had never actually blogged about it – I finally remembered that I had shown it on Instagram instead. My brain these days… not good!

Anyway, I pulled together that stack back in October, and then added to it in January and I’ve been waiting ever since to have a chance to start a quilt with them. I finally got most of my sewing obligations completed, so I thought it was a great time to sneak in a little work on this one. I’ve been wanting to make a Feather Bed quilt ever since Anna Maria Horner posted her pattern, and since then I’ve seen many beautiful versions – the latest being this beauty by Karyn.

featherbedfabrics

This color combo is not one I’m typically drawn to, but now that I’ve been staring at it for a few months I really love it. You’d think that the color combo came about based on that floral Liberty of London print, but surprisingly enough, no. That print just happened to be a perfect match for the navy, aqua, red and sour lemon thing I had going on. There’s a fun mix of fabrics – a little Nani Iro, lots of Alison Glass, some Denyse (of course!), a few Liberty of London prints, a Violet Craft print, a navy from Bonnie & Camille’s upcoming Miss Kate line, a couple Mochi polka dots and a Lizzy House stripe (to name a few, er, all!). It’s awfully fun to mix and match designers, and while I know many don’t love mixing fabric bases, I actually love the mix of textures (double gauze, tana lawn, a linen blend and quilting cotton, yes please!)

featherbed

I spent the afternoon yesterday sewing strips and cutting out feathers, and oh my, what fun! That part was surprisingly quick, and I’m loving how it’s looking up on the wall. I still need to figure out how big to go, and then hopefully soon I’ll be on to the next step!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to in progress…feathers!

So pretty! I think this is one of my favorite patterns of all time! I can’t wait to see yours completed. What color are you going to do for the background?

jeanne e. says:

i am loving your feathers! and i really (really) like the color scheme. i have been thinking i want to use more navy in my work. and i am always a sucker for the “sour lemon” color.

Andy says:

When I first saw your IG pic I did think you chose the fabrics based on that Liberty print! Great feathers!

love this colour combo, and just so perfect in a feather bed quilt

Anna says:

This is so beautiful! I’m just wondering what the name of the Liberty floral is? It is amazing!

jill gm says:

I *love* mixing textures, and your colors are absolutely brilliant!

Petra says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the color combo!! This goes wonderfully together, also the different kinds of designs and prints. Just stunning! I love to see fabrics of different textures mixed together and just wish I would be so brave too. This is going to be an INCREDIBLE quilt! Can’t wait to see when the top is done.

kitty says:

Love your feathers!!This is going to be such a happy quilt!! The dark blue is a great asset here!

jody deschenes says:

looks great! and i had to laugh about the 30 minutes wasted from ‘not-good’ brain – it makes me feel better to at least hear i am not the only minutes-waster from not-good brain. (; sadly, it doesn’t get any better…so embrace the wonderful things that happen in between when you are having wonderful-brain, and creating your wonderful creations (:

Marsha says:

Inspiring, as usual. I’ve wanted to make these for some time. Another project that’s joining several others at the top of the list!

Kelly Cline says:

OHHH, so different! Love them and can’t wait to see the finish!

Anne Chevalier says:

Beautiful fabrics – again and so inspirational – again! Was aiming to work on Flying Farfalle as a wedding quilt for my nephew (wedding in August) but, after yesterday, have fallen truly, madly, deeply in love with Feathers. I’m in process of moving house and going to temporary accommodation so extracting “work in progress” projects to work on while I’m waiting – one of those is the Love Letters quilt (with the retro typewriter) for my new home. Love your blog – always inspiring!

Anne