handsewn.

handsewn

These photos are from our vacation at the end of last year, but I just realized that I never got around to posting them. With the weather the way it’s been around here –  cold and snowy – I’ve certainly been dreaming of Florida, so it seems only appropriate that I should post these forgotten photos of the sunset + the beach + quilt blocks(?!).

handsewn2

All handsewn (and quite wonky as a result!)

handsewn3

And a nice reminder of a great time spent in one of our favorite places.

[I'm not one to voluntarily sew quilt blocks by hand, but I must admit that it was an interesting experience. At the time I found I really liked doing it, but now that I think back about it, I'm wondering if I just enjoyed it because it filled my need for sewing while I was away from my sewing machine. Someday I'll pull them out again to see if the experience is still enjoyable!]

This entry was posted in Fabric, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to handsewn.

Sarah Helene Seufert says:

MY, you really were sewing pieces together by hand while on the beaches soaking the sun and enjoying time with your family last year. No doubt, you’ll remember these blocks of your quilt MORE dearly as the sand and sun in Florida were sewn in???? I’m curious, did you sew this ENTIRE quilt by hand later at home, too? THANKS FOR SHARING! It’s 9 degrees in Minneapolis now & I’m staying indoors crocheting, reading and watching a Netflix DVD today, NEBRASKA. Sarah in Minneapolis

• 2
      Jen Schultz says:

I was just thinking that the tiniest part of me misses the cold of Minneapolis. We just moved to Atlanta and there really is no reason to have 10 quilts (with more in the works) because it’s not cold here!!

Marie says:

Beautiful. I thoroughly enjoy hand sewing – less stressful than sitting at a machine all the time and it’s amazing what you have to show for yourself in very little time. I will be neat to see these come together. p.s. Thanks for the sunny interlude – this cold, cold winter is starting to lose it’s shine.

Lana says:

I do a little hand piecing from time to time and actually have a huge project going right now, and I LOVE IT…it just feels peaceful and it keeps my mind quiet…
    unless i am having a contest with myself to see how little i can actually get my stitches!

Pam says:

I just wanted to mention I love the beauty of the photographs on your blog — how creative. I love the placement of these beautiful pieces!

Colleen says:

Thanks for the reminder to hand sew! Heading into my son’s baseball season I was getting bummed that I would have all that time in the bleachers away from quilting! Now I just need to figure out what I’ll make.

Danita says:

I have only ever sewn blocks together by hand. I don’t have a sewing machine and have completed 2 twin sized quilts and a number of baby quilts. I like the way it looks better and feel I can fudge the lines to make my points line up better. I would love to see more blogs that have hand quilting techniques and tips and tricks in them. I have only been quilting for about a year and a half.

katie says:

We’re going to Spain in July and I was thinking of taking some hand sewing. Log cabins might fit the bill since hand piecing hexies doesn’t really appeal to me.

I love the colors!

How pretty! Its funny. I do a ton of hand sewing, from embroidery to needlepoint to hand quilting everything. I even started hand sewing some Liberty hexies. But for whatever reason, I can’t bring myself to try hand piecing. Maybe because when its finished no one would know? I have no idea. Its probably crazy. But I do love your blocks and the light colors you paired together. I love the pictures too! Wish you were here in the warmth!

emily says:

wonky! but so much character…glad you finally posted these beauties on the beach :)

Kelly Cline says:

I crave hand sewing. I am a long arm quilter, so I spend lots of time at a machine. It’s fabulous to work by hand. I have an ongoing hex thing going right now. Hope you will try it again!