handknits for hazel

knits3

While I enjoy knitting, sewing usually wins out when I’m at home. Knitting, however, is the perfect craft for traveling! I had splurged on a blanket kit from Purl Soho a while back and had been slowly knitting a row or two each night.

knits6

With the kids in bed early and not much else to do in our rental house, I found ample time to finish it up. As you can see, it’s a nice easy project – just rows and rows of knitting (perhaps a bit boring at times, but I was motivated to keep going to get to the next color!). The yarn is Purl Soho’s Worsted Twist in seven lovely colors. It’s super soft and squishy and knits up really nicely. Warm, too! There were several chilly nights in Florida, and I loved having it on my lap as I was knitting.

knits2

Love that hot pink!

I had a tiny bit left of each color and without giving it too much thought, I decided to use up the extra bits by making a matching hat.

knits5

I’m not much for following patterns, so I’m pretty sure this isn’t the yarn recommended for this pattern and I’m quite certain that I used much smaller needles than I should have for this particular yarn (gauge, what?) It’s only by sheer luck that I was able to actually make a hat out of the leftovers (for a while there I thought it might have to be open at the top!), and that it actually fits! (For the moment, anyway! You can see her ear already peeking out in the photo below…)

knits4

The hat pattern is the Swirl Hat, and it’s actually the second one I’ve made. Two years ago I made one for Max – also while vacationing in Florida. I took one of my favorite photos of him modeling my honey cowl, and I couldn’t resist taking photos of Hazel in the same spot.

knits

Next up on the knitting list? Perhaps a new hat for me! I’m loving the Swift hat which is included in the newly published book Journey, by Jane Richmond and Shannon Cook, or perhaps the Jul hat by Wiksten…

This entry was posted in baby, Knitting and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to handknits for hazel

Kathy says:

Hazel is darling! Thanks for reminding me that knitting would be a good idea given our COLD temperatures here and thanks for the new yarn site too. I haven’t visited it before and I see it clearly has many temptations I need to explore.

chris says:

love the handknits, the colors are great! just this week i have picked up the knitting needles as well, and left the sewing machine for a holiday break.

Caroline says:

So cute and pretty! The hat, the blanket and your little one :)

Carla says:

Does Hazel KNOW how cute she is?? Very sweet photo shoot. Beautiful knitting by the way

Maria says:

Your knitting projects are beautiful! That hat has a lovely design and the model is gorgeous!

pilar says:

¡¡felicidades ¡¡ su niña es preciosa ¡¡y esos brazos tan amorosos que se ven en la foto tienen que ser de alguien que la quiere mucho¡¡.Pilar.

Tamie says:

So pretty- both the knits and Hazel.

Kaesey says:

These are so sweet. I have to admit, I’m really partial to the hat! Helps that there’s such a cute baby under it, too. =)

Oh. My. Gawd. So adorable. Beautiful knitting, excellent Neapolitan color choices. She is just adorable. Just adorable.

Carol A.J. says:

I love your knitted hat. Such a lovely little girl. My first born son received a hand-knit sweater and hat. I loved it so much I learned to knit myself. Both of my grandsons received VA Tech colored sweater!

The pink yarn is really lovely.

Liane says:

Adorable! I love the squishyness of garter stitch -it’s my favorite for blankets, all those ridges trap in the warm!

beautiful blanket but beauitfuller baby

mindy t says:

I have always wanted to learn to knit. This may have just pushed me over the edge. So pretty!

Keli says:

She is so cute Ashley! I’ve been wanting to make that blanket forever; love the colors you chose!