one month

hazelonemonth

I loved taking Max’s monthly photos on quilts, and hope to do the same for Hazel. This time around I thought it would also be fun to try to get one of Max and Hazel together as well, though that will likely require a bit of bribery! (As it is, whenever Max sees a quilt on the floor and the camera in my hand he’s all smiles thinking a lollipop is in his future.)

max+hazel

Anyway, this first month? A bit of a challenge! It’s definitely been a big change going from one to two. Hazel is wonderful when happy, but right around week 3 became increasingly fussy, which has been hard for all of us. I’m holding out hope that things will turn around soon!

This entry was posted in baby and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to one month

Vickie says:

LOVE the pictures. Would you just look at Hazel’s adoring look for her big brother?!! Great picture.

Christine Piepmeier says:

What beautiful children! Enjoy and hope you manage to get a little quilting done.

dispack says:

Wow, so so cute! It’s hard when they cry a lot. Best Wishes on that…

Penny G says:

I hope the fussies end quickly too. Your children are adorable.

Linda says:

Enjoy Hazel’s grumpiness. Before you know it, they’ll be teenagers, and you’ll with those “babies” back! I speak from experience…..bwahahaha!

Thanks for the baby fix. You know how I love pictures of them. Max is looking so un-baby now….8-/ Hugs to all.

xo Linda

Audrey says:

Her fussiness will pass. Keep reminding yourself of that. My daughter had colic, and sometimes if I put her in her bouncy chair and turned the water on in the bathroom, it would soothe her for a while. The other thing that surprisingly sometimes worked, was putting her on her back on the floor and holding colorful books up in front of her face. The trick there was trying to get her to stop crying long enough to open here eyes and see the pages. But most of the time, nothing worked. It was maddening, but it will pass. Hang in there!

Stephanie says:

One month already!?

Yes, the transition from one to two is HARD, especially when the first one is still young. My youngest is 7 months and the oldest recently turned 2. I feel like we’ve only recently found a good balance/rythym/routine. It definitely helps when the baby starts sleeping longer at night. I feel like things got easier around 12 weeks, then hard again when I went back to work at 4 months (it was harder going back to work with the second than it was with the first). But hang in there, it does get better!

You’ll soon see that Hazel will ADORE her big brother once she’s more aware of her surroundings. Our little boy is in total love with his older sister (and so far she reciprocates). It makes all the hard moments worth it.

Stephanie says:

P.S. I highly recommend baby wearing (Bjorn, Ergo, Moby, etc) if you aren’t doing so already. Hope things get easier soon.

Lindsey says:

Long-time follower here, but I’ve never commented. Couldn’t help myself today though because those babies are so cute! Have you read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child? I recommend it to EVERY mom. I’ve found it so helpful with all three of my kids. The doctor who wrote it says that babies peak in their fussiness around 6 weeks, then begin to settle in. So you probably only have a little wait until Hazel (love that name!) calms down. Hang in there!

One to two is inevitably a bit of a challenge, but on the plus side, you’re never bored! I’m sure things will turn around soon – the one thing you can guarantee with babies is that whatever’s happening, good or bad, it’ll change again in a few days.

julie says:

Great pics of your babies. Love the quilt backdrop, too. Hang in there Mama!

Janet M. says:

You can do it! My babies were 16 months apart and it was one of the hardest challenges I’ve ever faced. They are now 4 and almost 3 and doing well. Take one day at a time and you will do wonderfully.

I love the quilt in the background, and those kids are darling. I’ve been there with the changes as months go by with my own three girls. It’s tough. Hang on and when anyone offers help or a nap for you, take it!

Sarah says:

My youngest is 3 months and my oldest is 2 years (and one month). We had a TERRIBLE time with fussiness for weeks on end (things are definitely better now). That’s not to scare you, but just to let you know you ABSOLUTLEY are not alone. Your readers left all of the things I was thinking of telling you…babywearing was a huge help, so was gripe water. Keep doing what your doing!! You’ll find a rhythm soon. (in my case I think he was hungry. I started supplementi g that that seemed to help calm him down). PS my husband swears by loud fans to calm the down–bathroom or kitchen exhaust work well.

traceyjay says:

should turn around by 3 months! I think they say 6 weeks is the peak of fussiness? If you don’t have a good wrap or pack already, I highly recommend it!
    And they’re both precious!!!

Michele says:

What a sweet pair! I bet you are busy!

Linda says:

I just thought to ask. Are you swaddling her? Sometimes making them into a baby burrito helps. I swaddled mine for at least 6 weeks. It makes them feel more secure. I don’t think babies are swaddled as much as they used to be.

Just a thought.

xo Linda

Jen says:

Happy first month Hazel! She’s precious Ashley. Hoping things settle down for you all really soon!

Kaesey says:

Three weeks old was a fussy time for both of my kids, especially with my second. It passed by five or six weeks. Hang in there!

(Love the rainbow quilt, by the way! I tried one not too long ago – http://kaesey.wordpress.com/2013/04/29/rainbow-connection/ – but I think I like yours better! It’s more organized. ;)

Dawn says:

Hazel has filled out so much! What cute kids. Good luck with two – it can be a challenge. My kids are two years apart and are really great friends now. So fun to see them grow!

Am L says:

Going from one to two is tough, but it gets easier! Regarding fussiness, see if your dairy intake makes a difference. I was never a mom who cut foods out my diet when nursing, but our third had a lot of tummy troubles that I believe came from dairy. I cut as much dairy as possible, and the fussiness (caused by gas) went away after a few days. When I would cheat, it would come back. At four, she still can’t handle milk protein very well. Just a thought, as it took me awhile to figure it out. Gripe water is great, as is Mylicon if gassy.

Patti says:

Your children are just beautiful. Hazel will change so much so fast. But watch it – because you will blink and they will be all grown up. That’s what happened to me. I blinked and now I have grandchildren and they are the best. As fun as my children were my grandchildren are way more fun.

Kaaren Babb says:

Beautiful children, and as for the crankiness………..this too shall pass. Keep on keepin’ on.

Marianne says:

Hazel is a doll! Can’t believe one month already.

Debbie says:

Do think about things you are eating that could be the cause. I wish someone had suggested this to me. With my oldest it turned out to be gluten. If cutting out dairy doesn’t work try cutting out gluten. Just a suggestion. She is really adorable.

Erin says:

She’s beautiful. Hang in there. My second was fussy as well…we used BioGaia probiotics until he was a year old. Not sure if it actually helped (although we thought it did) but it helped us feel less helpless! He’s a wonderful two year old now. Things will get better!

Cindy says:

You have such adorable kids!! And look how Hazel is looking at Max- sooo cute!! I hope the fussiness passes soon!

Peggy Bennett says:

Max has the cutest devilish look!!!

Angie says:

Two words: Miracle Blanket. http://www.miracleblanket.com/ Made our son’s intense colic much more bearable and was worth every cent. I found ours in a local baby shop, and then ordered one for our second child from Amazon.

She is literally perfect. Fussiness and all. It makes me want another. I can practically smell her delicious babiness through the screen.

I couldn’t eat dairy or red sauce for 3 months, kept them up all night. And mylicon drops. It’s a little miracle in a bottle.

Gladys says:

It makes me happy to see your beautiful children. Enjoy them!

Kathy says:

As a longtime maternity nurse, I can tell you that babies very often have a big growth spurt at three weeks, six weeks, three months and six months. (Remember 3-6-3-6.) They’re ravenous and exhausted. All they want to do is nurse, sometimes as much as three out of four hours. If at all possible, go with it. Beyond caring for your son, don’t put any other burdens on yourself during these times. You’ll know when the time ends.

Carla says:

Congrats on the new arrival. Not sure I told you. I can’t believe how fast Max is growing and little hazel is a cutie.