on the wall…

grays

I came across this image on pinterest a while back and immediately wanted my own gray quilt. I pulled out all my gray fabrics, but then waffled on what pattern to use. Then I wasn’t sure if I even liked all those grays together – like gray paint (which I also find hard to pick) some had too much of a bluish or greenish hue, or looked too yellow compared to the others.

grays2

After working on Elizabeth’s quilt, I felt the urge to play with some more triangles. I went ahead and cut up all my gray prints, along with a bunch of bright solids, thinking I’d play around and mix them all up together. I looked at it on the wall and wasn’t in love, so went back to the idea of an all gray quilt. I’m still not totally sold, but it’s growing on me. I’m leaving it on the wall for now while I continue thinking about it…

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to on the wall…

Alison says:

I’d be tempted to pop one yellow block in there but that’s just me wanting to take it away from looking too ‘safe’! Alternatively, the one you pinned has more variants of grey with white backgrounds so you could try taking out the darker greys and seeing if that helps.

Tanis says:

I love your all grey quilt! Maybe bound in a bright colour or with something unexpected on the back… Shades of grey are so soothing. Hoping it grows on you so we can see what you come up with for the finishing!

jill says:

What about adding some white? I think it would make the whites pop in the grey and white fabrics and add a bit more variety, without adding a colour.

Carla says:

I like it! With all the different greys, there is lots of movement. Perhaps this could be your hubby’s quilt?

Erin Wilson says:

I like this a lot. Love the neutral feel, and it almost gives the feeling of a textured piece even if it isn’t textured. I’m not sure if that makes sense ha!

Cheryl says:

You could also do a contrasting binding or even thread colour in the quilting.

Andrea says:

It’s very interesting! Looks sort of like it’s a photo taken in black & white. Just a thought, the quilt you were inspired by and love is more of a gray & white quilt. What about adding a crisp bright white to the mix?

sewjournal says:

Sorry but I’m with you. I think too many greys without splash of colour looks a little drab. Good luck with it.

Abby says:

I think a pop of lime would look great. Or maybe just a lime binding. Grey is my favourite quilt colour right now.
    Is it wrong that I covet your grey stash? :)

Andrea2207 says:

I know what you mean about the different shade of gray. I have been wanting to do a gray and lavender quilt, but when I put all my fabrics together they just aren’t quite right so I haven’t even cut into them. Some of them look like just a regular gray and then I put them next to another gray and they look yellowish. I look forward to seeing your quilt!

Kristin B. says:

I love the way the greys look. Fabulous quilt. I say go for it.

Ann says:

I love the quilt . The idea of a grey quilt has haunted for some time too. Buuuuut those pix are weird somehow. Like you are using black and white film or one of those filters to show colour value…..way weird., but in a good artistic way. (Huh? Do I ever listen to myself think? Huh?)

Stephanie says:

I really like the gray scale. I think adding some white and/or black might help. Love your blog :)

Megan says:

I really like going all gray on the front; maybe do a back in bright pinks for contrast.

why not throw the odd orange triangle in to add a little bling (or Yellow) something bright at least!

Marianne says:

I’d like to see a bit of black thrown in and then a few grays that have a smidgen of color in their print.

katie says:

I agree, popping the cream/white in there should lighten it up. That charm quilt inspiration began my collection of grays, but I’m still looking for one large print before I dive in. Just finished one triangle quilt with another in the works. They are fun and easy.

Carol J says:

I can take it off your hands if you dislike it :) I did a gray and black quilt for daughter’s serious boyfriend. I added a few pops of mauve, soft green and blue – very little pieces like 1″ square. Really loved the quilt. She broke up with the guy and so I gave it to my nephew for his graduation from Medical School. He loved it. Good luck

karen says:

Love the look of this. Can you tell us the dimensions of this quilt? I can’t really tell from looking although the triangles appear to be about 3-1/2 to 4 inches at the base. I notice many of your quilts look to be similar in size–do you have trouble doing the quilting on a regular machine? Or maybe you have access to a long-arm?

21. Pingback: triangle quilt fever - Fluffyland Craft & Sewing Blog