handprinted baby quilt

handprinted2

This quilt started with my hope of showing off a few wonderful handprinted fabrics I had received from Cloth Fabrics. Then I thought it might be a good opportunity to incorporate a few of my other handprinted fabrics I’d collected along the way.

handprinted3

I made up large improv log cabin/square in square type blocks, showing off a fun handprinted fabric in the center of each (in all but one square – I see now that one of the blocks started out with a quilting weight Lotta Jansdotter print instead!). The blocks are on the larger size at 15″ square, so I didn’t need too many to make up a baby quilt.

handprintedback

On the back, I used up some of the larger leftover solid pieces, along with just a few printed pieces tossed in for fun.

handprintedback2

Since one of the handprinted fabrics featured a print that looks like Elizabeth’s dogwood quilting, I decided to go for it again and use that type of quilting here. I love how it gives the quilt great texture, but doesn’t detract from the blocks on the front.

handprinted4

A few of you asked about using handprinted fabrics in your quilts, so I thought I’d tell you my experiences. Many of these handprinted fabrics are printed on a heavier weight base cloth, and wouldn’t typically be what I would choose to quilt with. However, I went for it anyway since they were being mixed in with regular quilting weight cottons. It does make for some bulkier seams, and a bit of a stiffer quilt (though I used mainly softer fabrics on the backing and used a lighter weight batting to try to offset that). Additionally, I did experience a bit of fading on a few of the handprinted fabrics after washing. I tend to expect that from handprinted fabrics, but it’s certainly something to keep in mind if you’re adding them to a quilt you expect to wash frequently.

Previous post about this quilt can be found here.

This entry was posted in baby, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to handprinted baby quilt

Kathleen says:

Love the color combinations.

Ann says:

I love the colour saturation in this quilt. Another terrific finish by film in the fridge. Thanks for keeping me inspired Ashley.

Jill says:

Oh! Lovely earthy, rich colours. Blow the ‘baby’ quilt! This big girl wants to have a quilt like this. Ditto the previous comment…thanks for the inspiration!

Caroline says:

The fabric is gorgeous and you truly did it justice with this quilt!

Elise Lea says:

I love the colors of this quilt and the design on the back can stand all on its own. Spectacular.

Samantha says:

Beautiful job! Thanks for supporting indie textile designers! I also love the HR Roses incorporated in the quilt.

Kathy says:

This is just gorgeous!

Tamie says:

This is really beautiful.

Mary says:

I absolutely love this, the colours are just beautiful. I think any fading you experience from the hand printed fabrics just lends to a nice vintage feel.

karen says:

Oh my, your color combo here is genius to me!! I just took a handprinting class with Lotta at Quilt Con. That combined with seeing this beautiful quilt makes me want to get started with my own prints soon. Amazing!

Great Quilt, never thought about collecting hand printed, how did you start that. the Quilt is amazing.

zeti says:

Hi Ashley, did you machine binding or hand stitch the binding?

Caitlin T. says:

This looks great! I love that you used hand-printed fabrics. I’m hoping to incorporate some in my quilts this year. Thanks for sharing!

15. Pingback: Weekend Inspiration | Go To Sew

Sondra says:

A beauty, love the fabrics, great design.

Denise Bander says:

Experience sewist, but new to qulting. I am learning a lot from the wonderful work people post online, so first of all, thanks for sharing your work.

I have been admiring a lot of quilts and this one reallytakes the cake! I have never seen a design like this, so I imagine you improvised. Does it ever “work”! The colors are also inspired. Did you mention this was from a pre-cut?

Truly a work of art.