first quilt top of 2013

handprintedquilt

Happy 2013! Our New Year started with Max flushing his toothbrush and clogging the toilet (which of course required the toilet to be removed – an unpleasant task, to be sure!), and then I got hit with some awful illness that had me confined to the couch for a week. I will assume that better things are ahead… like this quilt top becoming a real quilt!

handprinted4

I put most of these blocks together at the very end of December, and then got the top sewn together on New Years Day, so I suppose that qualifies it as the first top of 2013. I was really happy to finally get a chance to sew up these blocks – I pulled together most of this stack many months ago.

handprintedfabricstack

Along the way I’ve collected many special handprinted fabrics from a variety of wonderful artists, and it was fun to be able to combine all those favorites in this one quilt top. Most recently I received a few great prints from Julie at Cloth Fabric in Australia. I’m particularly fond of her disc print (shown above in the center), so I based my fabric pull off of this print. Along with several of Julie’s fabrics, you’ll find some Skinny LaMinx, Ink & Spindle, Kalla Design, a few little pieces of Umbrella Prints, and a little Repeat Studios along with some coordinating quilting weight prints and solids.

handprinted3

I wanted to use larger pieces of these gorgeous handprinted fabrics, so I opted for some large (15″) improv blocks. I really love the way the blocks look, and I love them even more all sewn together into this quilt top! I’m hoping to get a backing put together this week so this one doesn’t languish in the ‘quilt top closet’!

handprinted2

(As usual, Max still loves himself a quilt photoshoot!)

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to first quilt top of 2013

Camilla says:

I really love the idea of the big prints! Thank you so much for all the inspiration you give to quilters all around the world!

Jenny Squawk says:

Toilet Lock. Once you have a flusher, it’s a hard habit to break. Mostly, because most toys can be flushed without your knowledge and don’t create a back up until it just backs up. A good addition to your home would be a drain snake, too.

Lovely top. Max is adorable as always.

Carla says:

Gorgeous again! The Australian fabrics are delicious too. The little charmer…..

Fran says:

What beautiful fabrics, love it!

Paige says:

Max is a cutie. I’d love it if you would talk about handprinted fabrics some. I’m always afraid they will bleed later on. How do you know if they’re “safe”?

alison says:

Wow! This is so different looking, even though the pattern is traditional. Love the fabrics.

Britt-Inger says:

This quilt top is awesome. Wonderful bold prints and I love them all. Looking forward to see the top quilted.

Angela says:

That is one gorgeous quilt top!!! What are you going to do for the backing! Your little photo bomber is pretty cute too.

Madeleine says:

The quilt top is bright and beautiful! And Max is the perfect color match!!

I love everything you do !! I am your copy cat, “not without your permission” or recognition either… Could this be a square in a square, I am doing this other hop and this is the block it ask for I dont know what it is and confused !! I cant believe all that snow, you know I am in TX and would freak with that white stuff..

Denise says:

I cannot believe how big he is! Im glad your feeling well quilt is gorgeous!

Jessie says:

I love that quilt. Its so much fun, bright, but not juvenille KWIM? Fantastic!

Cindy says:

L.O.V.E. your quilt but that Max- he steals the show!!:)

Herta says:

Always love your quilt tops, the colour combinations always bring a light to my day! Loving Max with the cheeky grim and the yellow striped ‘beanie’.

Annie Harrier says:

Love this quilt! I would have never put those colors together – but they work beautifully! Thanks for helping me see things out of the “box”! Your Max is sure cute – I have a Max too! My Max is 17 and way into cars, gutiars, and girls! I am starting a quilt for him which is appliqued gutiars, within gutiars, its for his graduation in 2014. I miss those early years of toothbrush flushing…it all goes by too fast!

WOW. This is a truly gorgeous quilt. Very well done. Love the animals and the colors.

Maaike says:

I absolutely adore this design! Would love to see it in your shop!