fall cross quilt

I pulled together this stack recently. My intent was to put together something for Fall, but after putting it together, it felt quite spring-y to me, what with all the roses and the spring-like greens and yellows. But as it turns out, after sewing it up — totally fall-like!

To be precise, this reminds me of the very beginning of Fall, when the bright green leaves start to transition, and the grass is still quite green.

I set out to take photos of this quilt with those bright green leaves with just a tinge of yellow, but alas, I failed to charge the camera battery (darn you, camera that needs charging just when I’m about to take the perfect photo!). Anyway, then we had what felt like nineteen days of rain, and now most of those nice leaves have fallen, which luckily still makes for a nice photo…

I think if I had added in a lot of white/off white, this quilt would be reading more spring like, but since I added in a few extra brown solids instead, it really is reminiscent of fall. I went with wonky crosses, which I’ve made previously, though I played around with the fabrics for the crosses and backgrounds this time.

I cut these blocks to 6.75″ (random, yes!), and when I found myself a bit short, just added in an extra strip of fabric as necessary. It adds that bit of randomness that I like so much!

Just waiting on a backing solid for this one, but I’m definitely itching to get this finished before all those leaves fall!

(a somewhat patient Max watching the birds while I snap some photos!)

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to fall cross quilt

Pat says:

Your creativity never ceases to amaze me. This is just such a fun quilt.

You plan the best quilt photos, Ashley! I wonder, do you think as you make a quilt about where to photograph it? Or do you just see photo ops and connect the dots to a quilt at home? I’d love to know more about your process!

I love this quilt! I think it is very Fall indeed. I’m finding myself so jealous of the nature surrounding you! I want to see changing leaves so badly. They just don’t change a bit here in hot, humid Southwest Florida. So jealous!!!!

Suzanne says:

I really like the colors in this quilt. Whether they be Spring or Fall, they work together beautifully.

nicke says:

i love everything you make. seriously, everything!

Linda says:

WOW! That’s about all I can think…..Wow! I love it. Great colors.

xo Linda

Debbie says:

It I could drop everything, I would make this right now!!

Carla says:

Perfect photo location. Your quilt is lovely

Kelsey W says:

Ashley that is such a beautiful quilt! I love the colors and completely agree that its more fall than spring. I’m looking forward to seeing how you quilt it up!
    kelsey @ everydayfray.com

Maria says:

Beautiful quilt and photos!

Deb konopka says:

I love th photos.

Tamie says:

Love this top and the photos are beautiful. Can’t wait to see it completed.

Michele says:

Your quilt looks so beautiful in all that nature.

This is so incredibly lovely! What a great color combination, and I love those sketch fabrics in there!

Lora says:

This is a lovely celebration of early fall. Great analysis of why it wasn’t spring-ish once you sewed it together.

anna chan says:

love the way you work with colors. its inspiring. thanks.

VickiT says:

Is it bad if I admit I’ve never liked this block? WAIT! Don’t get upset because it’s a good thing I clicked the link in my email to come read your blog today! I have now changed my mind after seeing yours quilt. I LOVE IT! The colors you have used and the way they work so well together made me decide that not only do I like it now but I may have to attempt this now myself. Thank you for making such a great looking quilt to make me change my mind about this block.

Nita says:

Isn’t it fun to take pictures of your quilts!

Lisa says:

Oh my! Where to start? I love that color combo. This is one of those quilts that caught my eye and made me think, “I must remember this color combination and DO something with it!” The wonky crosses/pluses are great. And since I love love love this time of year, your photos are delightful! Thanks for all the great eye candy.

Aletta says:

What a beauty! You wouldn’t expect a ‘fallish’ quilt with those spring colored fabric. It turned out so pretty.

Janita says:

I Love this! My daughter would love this too! I just bought some yellow/green fabric online and I wasn’t in love with it , it was not the color I thought it would be…… Now I think it would be perfect for a quilt like yours. Looks like I’ll be buying MORE fabric! So sad : ) thanks for sharing. Janita

Rachel says:

What a lovely quilt!! I love the colors and the way you photographed it. Can’t wait to see it finished. :)

Cheers!
    Rachel

Rah says:

You have such an eye for design and color. This quilt is just exquisite. Thank you for sharing it with us.