washi, washi, washi!

You already know how much I love the Wiksten Tova pattern, but I admit that you probably can (and I probably do!) have too many of the same shirt. And consequently, I’ve been looking for a new shirt pattern so I could have a little variation in my closet. As soon as I saw Rae in her Washi dress, I knew I wanted one and I have been waiting (somewhat impatiently) for Rae to publish this fantastic pattern.

I made my first, the dress version, out of this lovely Flora fabric from the Miscellany line produced by Cloud 9 Fabrics. Truth be told, I bought this fabric a while back intending to use it for, yep, a Tova! I’m glad I procrastinated though, because I think it’s great made up as a Washi dress.

Then, I was so excited about having a new pattern that I decided to make up the tunic version as well, sleeveless this time so I can wear it under cardigans this winter. I used some lovely Liberty of London fabric, which, despite being pricey, is really nice for garment sewing.

And I didn’t stop there! I’m particularly fond of this ladder dot print from Denyse’s new Chicopee line, and opted for this great pink color for another tunic version. Since we’re headed into fall here, and since I’m not the biggest fan of my upper arms, I decided to add sleeves to this version. I used the sleeves from the Tova pattern, cut down to short sleeve length. I’m happy to say that the Tova sleeves fit nearly perfectly! (I already have a 4th cut out, and will be making that one with the 3/4 length Tova sleeves).

I can’t say enough about Rae’s pattern, and how impressed I am that she managed to produce a pattern like this. It gives me a headache just thinking about it! I think the sizing is right on (I made the first two in a size small, and the last in a medium, which is what I typically wear – both fit, though I think my ideal size may be halfway between the two…). She provides so many great details, tips and suggestions and variations, and you can find additional information on her blog, including how to turn it into a maxi dress, or how to add a lining to your Washi. If you haven’t bought a copy yet, you should do so now – I highly recommend it!

I’m also pleased to tell you that Rae will be in Vermont and will be stopping by Nido for a little demo during Nido’s 3rd anniversary party this Sunday! I will be there (wearing a washi!) and I hope to see you if you happen to be in the area. Nido will also be offering 20% off storewide (and online, for those unable to attend).

I wanted to get photos of these new pieces while I was wearing them – it’s always nicer to see them on a person, right? Each time I wear them though, I forget to have Morgan take photos until the end of the day, and by that time I’m looking wrinkled and messy and most likely Max has wiped part of his lunch across my front. Not blog worthy, for sure! I had plans to get some photos this weekend, but then this happened –

Yes, that is (or was) our car. I ran in to pick up a small piece of furniture I had bought that morning at an estate sale while Morgan stayed in the car. I heard a loud noise, then the power went out in the house, and I came running out to see this.

We’re thankful for so many things that went right in this unfortunate situation – thankfully no one was injured, including no one else who was at this very crowded estate sale, thankfully Max was at home with grandma, and thankfully it was more of the upper, smaller branches of this quite substantial tree that ended up hitting the car. That might be it for that car, but at least there were no other injuries.

Here’s hoping that this week is less eventful.

This entry was posted in Clothing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to washi, washi, washi!

christina says:

Oh my gosh! Your washi dresses and tunics are beautiful! I love the sleeves on the purple tunic, what a great idea!!

Scary about your car, hope it’s alright and glad you are all safe!!

Jan says:

Good Grief! So glad Morgan was OK.

Kar says:

So glad to hear that Morgan was not injured in that event! So scary! Can you imagine just sitting there minding your own business and then parts of trees falling down on you. Someone was watching over you Morgan. :)

All your washis are gorgeous Ashley! I am SO glad to hear that no one was injured in the tree accident!

elsa says:

Oh, love the dresses and blouse ~ so summery looking.
    Glad no one was hurt in the crash ~ scary.

Brooke says:

Love your washis so much! Can’t wait to see them on you! Sorry about your car:/ but so glad everyone is ok!

Franandrosie says:

Beautiful pink top! Glad you’re all safe.

Jenny says:

Oh my word. I’m thankful no one was hurt.

kristin says:

woah girl, you do not mess around – three washis and starting your fourth?! woah! i have washi #3 on my to do list but haven’t gotten there yet. anyway, i’m so glad no one was injured in the tree fall – that’s super scary!!

Rae says:

OH my goodness, your CAR!!! That totally sucks. so glad no one was hurt. Good. grief.

So yay for Nido get-togethers! Hee, totally fun! See you this weekend!!!

Ann says:

Holy crap …glad no one was hurt but what a scare that must have been. I’m so bummed about the sale this weekend ,and Rae there too >:( I was visiting Vermont this summer and stopped into Nido, what a terrific spot, even my hubs was taken with the store (Altho’ he spent his time taking pix out the window looking down the street.)

Camilla says:

I love the pink one especially. You have been busy!

So glad you are all OK, what a scary thing!

debby says:

I wanted to share a quilt I made with you, because your converging corners quilt was the inspriration. I really liked it and decided to make a version of it. My last 2 posts are all about that quilt.
    Thanks,
    Debby Wolff

The tops you made are adorable!

Cindy says:

So glad noone was hurt- how awful and scary!! Love your tops- you are so good at making those!! Thanks for sharing!

Ivy says:

How scary was that! So sorry! I’m glad you’re okay :)

Suzanne says:

Wow! I am so glad only your car was hurt. That looks dreadful!