a quilt to match the sheets

I can’t tell you how exactly long I’ve wanted these sheets… I liked to browse the anthropologie.com sale section periodically, you know, just in case they had decided to put them on sale. Due to their price, they were never a set I could justify, but thanks to my generous sister, they’re now at home on our bed. What’s even better is that they came packaged in a fabric bag, made of the same floral print  (I’m not sure who ever manages to fold their sheets neatly enough to get them back in a small bag… certainly not me!) So of course my immediate thought was that I could use the fabric for a quilt.

I paired it with a couple prints and a couple solids, and decided to make up several improv blocks, using a piece of the floral sheet print in each block.

In addition to the floral print, I decided to use a striped section in each block as well. I initially thought I’d do a standard layout with blocks of the same size, but when it came time to lay it out, I decided to let them fall wherever they wanted and fill in the extra spaces with the remaining prints and solids.

While this method certainly took longer, I like the randomness of it and I think it’s a fun change from a standard block layout.

To go along with the floral theme, I decided to try out Elizabeth’s dogwood free motion quilting. And wow, I loved quilting it and I love the way it looks on this quilt. If you haven’t tried it, you should! For sure.

It’s especially fun on the back, where I used a solid aqua so you could really see the pattern. I can’t wait to use this pattern on another quilt! (In fact, I like the pattern so much that I’m tempted to quilt my king sized Liberty quilt on my own, just so I can use it again!)

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to a quilt to match the sheets

Erin says:

I have a few saved fabric sheet bags as well that I’ve been saving for a special project–I always thought I was the only one who does that!

Suzanne says:

You were savvy to use every bit of something you love.

elsa says:

How nice of your sister to make a little dream come true AND you got a bit of fabric to make a quilt too!
    I’ve gotten a couple of sheets sets (not from Antropologie tho) that are in a fabric pouch ~ I’m using them
    as knitting bags ~ they are perfect for larger projects.

Debbie says:

oh this is so awesome! So cool it matches with the sheets – I bet you are sleeping happy now!

Kar says:

What a wonderful sister you have! The quilt is so pretty. :)

Mrs.Hearts says:

Phew, at the price they should come with a bag and a maid to make the bed! I love the quilting, too; it suits the quilt perfectly. You are mighty brave to quilt a king by yourself!!

Wow! Love the quilt and quilting! I love the sheets too. What a awesome sister to buy them for you.

Pat says:

Dynamite quilt! I love it.

Deb konopka says:

Love the blocks and the quilting

ruth says:

i love it! it came out so lovely – and that was so sweet of your sister to get the sheets for you :-) wow, i’m so jealous of your views too!

I am completely in love with this quilt Ashley! The colors are amazing and I love the random block placement. Well done :)

Kat Scott says:

What a stroke of genius! The colors and the block layout are great!

Sally says:

Love this quilt and what a lovely sister.

Camilla says:

Wow, inspired idea to use the fabric bag! And all finished so quickly!

Ooooh! That came out so pretty! So glad that you were able to use the dogwood quilting. I also LOVE the way it looks on the back.

Lori French says:

Love it! But I’ve been drooling over those sheets, too! Generous and sweet sister you have there!

Tamie says:

Love, love your quilting.

Melanie C says:

Love those colors! Amazing quilting!

Do you quilt your pattern on an ordinary sewing machine or do you utilize a long arm quilting machine? – you seem to manage to whip your tops up in no time flat and quilt them even faster..whirlwind pace and beautifully executed- I’m envious of all that energy.. Lovely as always

Ramona says:

What a fun quilt. I know it must look fabulous with those sheets. Your work always inspires me.

Carly says:

It’s gorgeous! I just finished reading your blog from the very beginning. You are so inspiring. I’m so glad that you’ve blogged your quilting journey. It’s given me great hope that with lots of practice and more time I’ll be able to make quilts like yours. Wowza, you make such beautiful quilts! I love them! Thanks so much for sharing.

Gina says:

This quilt is absolutely amazing . I love the way you were clever using the bag . You put together that quilt in a way that just works so well . I love everything about it . I wish I could make an improv quilt but even after staring at yours I just don’t get how you work it out once you’ve made the focal blocks . Ha ha . I’ll have to do a search .
    Well Done . Ps I love your blog . You are humble but so talented !

this quilting pattern is going to be kind of your signature.. how nice! it looks absolutely fab, especially on the solid back, love it!!

Emily says:

Beautiful quilt! Love the colours, design and quilting!

Sharon says:

Great quilt up cycling the bag from your sheets! How fun it will be to sleep in your bed. ( ;

Ronnie says:

Once again your signature creativity shines through in this one of a kind quilt. You’re my favorite inspiration to keep on quilting! Love your unique choice of colors, too.

Oh, I’ve been wanting to try that quilting pattern. Thanks for the good report!

i love the randomness of the block layout! great quilt. the color scheme is so fresh. and the quilting is fantastic!